X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PowerDiver
    Prophet
    • Mar 2008

non-monotonic time attacks

I lost a recent char to stat drains from a time attack. Is it really right to set things up so that if your base is 17 or 18 you lose 5 points, but if it is 8 or 18/89 you lose 2 points?

Step around a corner, get hit by an unresistable breath from an undetectable vortex [playing non-mage-caster] that can reduce all important stats by 4 or 5 in these days of few stat potions. Should this really be the intended situation?

[edit] and 18/10 only drops 1, to 18/03.
    Last edited by PowerDiver; November 16, 2009, 18:31.
  • d_m
    Angband Devteam member
    • Aug 2008

Is this just done arbitrarily via a table currently? The behavior you describe is... non-obvious.
    linux->xterm->screen->pmacs

Comment

• Magnate
      Angband Devteam member
      • May 2007

Originally posted by d_m
      Is this just done arbitrarily via a table currently? The behavior you describe is... non-obvious.
      I thought it was random ... but there is already a ticket for making time attacks less evil http://trac.rephial.org/ticket/598, so we should add to that.
      "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• PowerDiver
        Prophet
        • Mar 2008

Originally posted by d_m
        It is quite straightforward. Add base plus percentile, integer arithmetic * 3 / 4 and convert back if the result is over 18.

So 18 * 3 / 4 = 13, and (18 + 10) * 3 / 4 = (18 + 3)

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎