X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fizzix
    Prophet
    • Aug 2009

Feature Request: Buy and destroy all shortcut

If this already exists, *please* let me know.

I'm getting a bit tired of buying out a store repeatedly so I can get a restore potion, or scrolls of recharging or whatever normal stocked item that isn't there. It's especially frustrating when the store has several items that I carry with me but don't want to squelch, like scrolls of phase door. (no i don't need 83 of them) or prayer/magic books. The additional prompt for these items makes this task very painful.

A single button to buy the whole stock of the store and destroy it would be very nice. I'd be willing to pay a gold surcharge for this option.

I almost died because somehow, by accident, I squelched !CCW out of my inventory in buying out the temple for !RLL or something. (yeah yeah, I know, I now have !k!d inscribed on them)
  • PowerDiver
    Prophet
    • Mar 2008

We've begged and begged, but Takkaria remains steadfastly opposed.

Comment

• camlost
      Sangband 1.x Maintainer
      • Apr 2007

Sangband has an "Invite shopkeeper to retire" feature, which does this (as part of the shopkeeper cycling).
      a chunk of Bronze {These look tastier than they are. !E}
      3 blank Parchments (Vellum) {No french novels please.}

Comment

• Ghen
        Apprentice
        • Jun 2007

Originally posted by camlost
        Sangband has an "Invite shopkeeper to retire" feature, which does this (as part of the shopkeeper cycling).
        That sounds neat. By the way, why did shopkeepers go permanent in V anyway? If you get a armorer who's a 5k max you're kinda screwed on money until you don't need it any more

Comment

• zaimoni
          Knight
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Ghen
          That sounds neat. By the way, why did shopkeepers go permanent in V anyway? If you get a armorer who's a 5k max you're kinda screwed on money until you don't need it any more
          The bug was introduced between V3.0.9 and V3.1.0, and has not been fixed.

It is extremely inobvious, from a casual source code review, how the bug is implemented.
          Zaiband: end the "I shouldn't have survived that" experience. V3.0.6 fork on Hg.
          Zaiband 3.0.10 ETA Mar. 7 2011 (Yes, schedule slipped. Latest testing indicates not enough assert() calls to allow release.)
          Z.C++: pre-alpha C/C++ compiler system (usable preprocessor). Also on Hg. Z.C++ 0.0.10 ETA December 31 2011

Comment

• Magnate
            Angband Devteam member
            • May 2007

Originally posted by PowerDiver
            We've begged and begged, but Takkaria remains steadfastly opposed.
            ... and at least some of us remain staunch supporters of his position on this.
            "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• zaimoni
              Knight
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by fizzix
              If this already exists, *please* let me know.

I'm getting a bit tired of buying out a store repeatedly so I can get a restore potion, or scrolls of recharging or whatever normal stocked item that isn't there.
              That is what the Home is for.

Long before it becomes possible to buy out a store, it is pragmatically impossible to run out of to run out of any sufficiently important normally stocked, but slowly used, item. Just buy up a stack of 99 of that item and park it in the Home. Gradually.
              Zaiband: end the "I shouldn't have survived that" experience. V3.0.6 fork on Hg.
              Zaiband 3.0.10 ETA Mar. 7 2011 (Yes, schedule slipped. Latest testing indicates not enough assert() calls to allow release.)
              Z.C++: pre-alpha C/C++ compiler system (usable preprocessor). Also on Hg. Z.C++ 0.0.10 ETA December 31 2011

Comment

• fizzix
                Prophet
                • Aug 2009

Originally posted by zaimoni
                That is what the Home is for.

Long before it becomes possible to buy out a store, it is pragmatically impossible to run out of to run out of any sufficiently important normally stocked, but slowly used, item. Just buy up a stack of 99 of that item and park it in the Home. Gradually.
                My home is needed to store items that can't be bought at the stores...

Honestly, inventory has never been such a huge problem for me except when playing warrior. And when I'm playing warrior...I need a large stack of buyable consumables that I go through quickly. It's just impractical to store them *all* in the home. I go through !CCW as if they were water. I had a stack of them 58 deep in the home and it's about depleted...

If you want you can look at my most recent dump and tell me what I can remove from my home to make room for the normally needed consumables

(right now I can probably chuck ?*remove curse* It's there because I'm terrified of misclicking and wielding an un-pseudo-ed item and have it wind up being heavily cursed.)

dump here: http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=9451
                dump here:

Comment

• PowerDiver
                  Prophet
                  • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Magnate
                  ... and at least some of us remain staunch supporters of his position on this.
                  because a significant UI improvement with absolutely 0 gameplay effect is a terrible idea in your minds.

With Takkaria on hiatus, there is little hope for stores to be revamped in the next year. I guess I'll have to release a patch for the unenlightened who just want to enjoy the game as it is designed now.

Comment

• zaimoni
                    Knight
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by fizzix
                    If you want you can look at my most recent dump and tell me what I can remove from my home to make room for the normally needed consumables

(right now I can probably chuck ?*remove curse* It's there because I'm terrified of misclicking and wielding an un-pseudo-ed item and have it wind up being heavily cursed.)
                    Oh, I'd keep ?*remove curse*.

Gut reaction is:
                    * The Fur Cloak of Arindil: currently obsolete, except as "dressed to shop". If you can't name a circumstance that would require this for RConf or FrAct, this would be the first thing I'd sell.
                    * There are some others of "limited utility" but that do provide one or two critical features. I'd do a check to see which of those can be sold without severely impairing flexibility against future finds.

Comment

• Ghen
                      Apprentice
                      • Jun 2007

Originally posted by zaimoni
                      The bug was introduced between V3.0.9 and V3.1.0, and has not been fixed.

It is extremely inobvious, from a casual source code review, how the bug is implemented.
                      Well good news at least that it is a bug instead of working as intended.

Comment

• Magnate
                        Angband Devteam member
                        • May 2007

because a significant UI improvement with absolutely 0 gameplay effect is a terrible idea in your minds.
                        Come on, his reasoning was perfectly clear: he didn't want to do anything which condoned the current (ab)use of stores. It's not *just* a significant UI improvement, it's a psychological change to the game.

But you make a good point about there now being a significant gap before the store revamp.
                        "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• fizzix
                          Prophet
                          • Aug 2009

Come on, his reasoning was perfectly clear: he didn't want to do anything which condoned the current (ab)use of stores. It's not *just* a significant UI improvement, it's a psychological change to the game.

But you make a good point about there now being a significant gap before the store revamp.
                          I disagree. If your goal is to reduce abuse, why not just make it so buying out store slots does not increase the possibility of new stuff showing up, and buying out stores does not refresh the stock. Then there's no abuse. (and a lot more frustration)

Currently, you can do these things, albeit painfully. The only limitation is that you have enough money and one open inventory slot in your pack. Therefore, a shortcut to allow these things to be done with less user keystrokes is precisely a UI improvement.

Comment

• PowerDiver
                            Prophet
                            • Mar 2008

Come on, his reasoning was perfectly clear: .
                            and it is in 1-to-1 correspondence with the argument against squelch.

There is a broken game mechanic, and a purely UI fix that will improve things, but the UI fix shouldn't be allowed because maybe some day in the future the game mechanic will be fixed.

Exactly the same argument.

I plan to release a patch with (1) buyout button and (2) UI option controlling squelch prompting and (3) birth option for no selling.

With regards to (3), I'm thinking I will allow selling for 0 money for id purposes. Should I change the option name from no_selling to selling_for_zero or something like that?

Comment

• bio_hazard
                              Knight
                              • Dec 2008

and it is in 1-to-1 correspondence with the argument against squelch.

There is a broken game mechanic, and a purely UI fix that will improve things, but the UI fix shouldn't be allowed because maybe some day in the future the game mechanic will be fixed.

Exactly the same argument.

I plan to release a patch with (1) buyout button and (2) UI option controlling squelch prompting and (3) birth option for no selling.

With regards to (3), I'm thinking I will allow selling for 0 money for id purposes. Should I change the option name from no_selling to selling_for_zero or something like that?
                              for 3, why not just call it "Destructive ID"- and not tie it to the store. Sacrifice the item anywhere in the dungeon to learn about it.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎