X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vstat
    Rookie
    • Jul 2009

Squelching

First, I'd like to say hello to everyone. I'm a long time TOME player, who recently started on Angband. I started on 3.06, but have downloaded 3.1.1. I realize it is a beta and may not be complete.

It appears you cannot destroy anything with the k command. I do respond yes to the prompts when to ignore bad objects in the future. I figure this would work like the automizer in tome (auto destroys item you designate when you pick them up). Any info on this subject would be welcome.
  • saarn
    Adept
    • Apr 2009

If you say yes to squelch, you will never see the squelched items again (unless you unsquelch). So it's not precisely an auto destroy, more like an auto-ignore.

Comment

• Astaroth
      Rookie
      • Mar 2009

Originally posted by vstat
      First, I'd like to say hello to everyone. I'm a long time TOME player, who recently started on Angband. I started on 3.06, but have downloaded 3.1.1. I realize it is a beta and may not be complete.

It appears you cannot destroy anything with the k command. I do respond yes to the prompts when to ignore bad objects in the future. I figure this would work like the automizer in tome (auto destroys item you designate when you pick them up). Any info on this subject would be welcome.
      You will ignore said items if you enable the "hide_squelchable" options I think. Otherwise you'll just see the items marked as {squelch}.

Comment

• vstat
        Rookie
        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Astaroth
        You will ignore said items if you enable the "hide_squelchable" options I think. Otherwise you'll just see the items marked as {squelch}.

Thanks, that was the missing link. I didn't have the option turned on. It's working like I was hoping it would!

Comment

• ehertlein
          Scout
          • Aug 2007

I am having a lot of issues with the new squelching.

If I hit k to destroy something and I say yes to squelching it, I can't destroy it and it stays in my inventory.

Can I turn of the squelching prompt from hitting k?

Comment

• PowerDiver
            Prophet
            • Mar 2008

Originally posted by ehertlein
            I am having a lot of issues with the new squelching.

If I hit k to destroy something and I say yes to squelching it, I can't destroy it and it stays in my inventory.

Can I turn of the squelching prompt from hitting k?
            If you want to destroy something rather than squelch it, say 'n' to squelch and then 'y' to destroy.

I don't know why the hide_squelchable [ = a g ] option is not set to yes by default. Actually, I don't even know why the option exists in the first place.

Comment

• Magnate
              Angband Devteam member
              • May 2007

Originally posted by PowerDiver
              I don't know why the hide_squelchable [ = a g ] option is not set to yes by default. Actually, I don't even know why the option exists in the first place.
              Because some implementations of squelch don't hide squelched stuff, they just mark it squelched and wait for you to issue a command to nuke everything so marked. EyAngband did it this way, IIRC. So the option gives you the choice of two different squelch systems.
              "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• ajps
                Apprentice
                • May 2007

If you want to destroy something rather than squelch it, say 'n' to squelch and then 'y' to destroy.
                I'm in favour of not short-circuiting the destroy prompt as of the next release (or possibly next bugfix, depending on how many changes we want to creep in). If we want to squelch and not destroy, we can still do that if we continue through to the "really destroy" prompt, plus it allows the case of destroying & squelching something we are wielding to work properly without special-casing it. (You currently have to "destroy" a wielded item twice if you want to both squelch it in future and destroy it now.) It doesn't seem like it would be a significant inconvenience to have to hit 'n' each time if you never want to destroy what you squelch, but does enable the destroy command to continue to be a destroy command, and not a squelch or destroy command. IYSWIM.

Yeah, I'm not sure what squelching does without hide_squelchable any more - anything?. At the time I hacked it in it was a proof-of-concept, which is why it was optional. I suppose a "prompt about squelch" option might be useful to some, so they can destroy things quickly if they don't use squelch at all, but I'm not so sure about that either and I'm not a big squelcher.

Comment

• PowerDiver
                  Prophet
                  • Mar 2008

Originally posted by ajps
                  I'm in favour of not short-circuiting the destroy prompt as of the next release (or possibly next bugfix, depending on how many changes we want to creep in).
                  I'm obviously biased, since I do not think that destruction should even be a choice.

The number of items you want to destroy, but not to squelch, ought to be a tiny proportion. If you have some interest in future use, you should be dropping them instead. Asking to squelch first really ought to minimize keypresses compared to asking to destroy first.

In the short run, it may seem annoying since squelch still has a long way to go, but eventually you will be able to squelch a ring of con +3 and not +4, or a dagger (1d4) (+2,+4) but not (1d4) (+1,+5) so IMO it's reasonable to set up the interface now that will be preferred in the future.

Perhaps there should be an interface option specifying the order of the questions.

Comment

• saarn
                    Adept
                    • Apr 2009

one thing that would be nice for squelch questions would be a "worse than anything you currently own"

For example, suppose I have a ring of damage +8, I squelch a ring of damage +7. In the future I'll only see ring of damage +8 or better-- if I get a ring of damage +10 and drop the +8, it'll auto squelch since I don't own it anymore and now +10 is my baseline.

Comment

• Nolendil
                      Adept
                      • May 2007

I always set the hide_squelchable option to "no" as I'm not sure enough about my squelch settings. I prefer to keep the items visible just in case they could be usefull (e.g. let's say I squelch !CSW but I drank all my !CCW, I could be useful to see that some !CSW are lying next to me).
                      A(3.2.0) C "Angdiira II" DP L:36 DL:44(2200') A+ R+ Sp w:Whip of Westernesse(+10,+10)(+2)
                      A Mx H- D c-- f- PV+ s- d P++ M+
                      C- S-- I So B++ ac GHB- SQ+ RQ++ V+

Comment

• Maupin
                        Scout
                        • Jul 2009

I'm playing the latest beta (3.1.1.1599) and am finding the new k "Ignore X in future" message really annoying. Is there some way to turn this off? I make extensive use of the squelch menu anyway so this is just constantly prompting me for an extra keystroke.

I really miss the old simple destroy item functionality! I destroy a lot of potentially useful potions/staves/scrolls, etc. when I need the space, but prefer to keep them around until then because you never know.

Please give us an option to turn off this constant prompt and quickly destroy items manually if we like.

Comment

• PowerDiver
                          Prophet
                          • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Maupin
                          I'm playing the latest beta (3.1.1.1599) and am finding the new k "Ignore X in future" message really annoying. Is there some way to turn this off? I make extensive use of the squelch menu anyway so this is just constantly prompting me for an extra keystroke.

I really miss the old simple destroy item functionality! I destroy a lot of potentially useful potions/staves/scrolls, etc. when I need the space, but prefer to keep them around until then because you never know.

Please give us an option to turn off this constant prompt and quickly destroy items manually if we like.
                          It's only a few lines of code, but Tak's sig means only a select few can make the change. Perhaps ajps will be willing to do it.

I've attached diffs for one way to do it, adding a prompt_for_squelch option at '=' 'a' 'o'. Hopefully I hadn't already modded those changed files before the fix, but if so it should be obvious what to do.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• pampl
                            RePosBand maintainer
                            • Sep 2008

How about 'k' brings up the ignore prompt and 'K' just destroys? I don't think 'K' is in use atm

Comment

• Maupin
                              Scout
                              • Jul 2009

In that case I'd rather 'k' be destroy, and 'K' be destroy with the option to squelch in the future (or whatever the recent change is). As long as somehow I can get back the standard 'k' destroy functionality I know and love!

The item squelch settings menu is there for a reason.

In my opinion this new change to 'k' is something that seems like a good idea, but when you're actually playing and "Ignore X in future [y/n]" messages pop up every time you destroy something, it becomes really annoying fast.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎