X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dark
    Apprentice
    • Apr 2009

Fonts and graphics findings

Well, thanks to Buzkill and co, I've been mucking about with the ini file playing with graphics and fonts.

First thing I found, was that Pete mac was absolutely right. Setting the tile size larger than the font does very nasty things to the letter spacing, and thus interferes with Hal rather badly. Therefore, larger tile sizes need accompanying fonts.

So, I tried the largest font in the list, ----- 16x25 on big tile mode. This did indeed make a rather considderable difference to the visibility, however it did put up one problem, ---- the problem of graphics and text being run off the screen.

I found that running at a resolution of 1024x768, the best I could do in terms of size is 12x25 which on big tile mode is stil a distinct improvement on the 8x13 it was set on before, ---- which wouldn't have been possible at all if it weren't for big tile mode.
    If however anyone has any thoughts on improving size I'd be interested to here them. I will be upgrading my 19 inch flatscreen to a larger model soon, ----- and maybe that would improve things?

I'm also now much more appreciative of Nick and everyone else who's been involved with the developement of the double tile mode in varients such as Faangband and Oangband, --- it must have been fidly in the programming department to distinguish the tiles from just the fonts.
  • Nick
    Vanilla maintainer
    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Dark
    I'm also now much more appreciative of Nick and everyone else who's been involved with the developement of the double tile mode in varients such as Faangband and Oangband, --- it must have been fidly in the programming department to distinguish the tiles from just the fonts.
    Andrew Doull gets the credit for doing this for UnAngband - I stole it and added linux support.
    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Dark
      Apprentice
      • Apr 2009

Well, congratulations to andrew in that case.

I'm just looking at Unangband now. I must say, the gentle beginner's intro is nice, ----- though as in Faanband I'm stil finding finances slightly problematic.

Comment

• Pete Mack
        Prophet
        • Apr 2007

You might want to try Unangband in Non-campaign mode. It's a lot easier to learn without having to figure out the map and all the (potentially dangerous or annoying) fixed quests.

Comment

• Dark
          Apprentice
          • Apr 2009

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.I'm actually a fan of quests, though i haven't quite worked out the way they work in unangband yet exactly. I do admit though, most of my Angband playing recently has been with Daaj.

For one thing, i do like the option of finding more gold around the dungeon rather than carting loads of items about to sell and getting my inventory stuffed up.

On the other hand, Unangband did seem to have ways of fixing the inventory limit problem, ---- so maybe that would also be good to try.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎