X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NeoWizard
    Adept
    • Dec 2008

Just curious about a lantern

Just curious if there is lantern of brightness (everbruning)?
    NeoWizard
    -. . --- .-- .. --.. .- .-. -..

aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. fi yuo cna raed tihs, palce it in yuor siantugre. Olny 55% of plepoe can. mtat
  • Pete Mack
    Prophet
    • Apr 2007

They are different. Brightness has radius 3. Everburning doesn't use fuel. I prefer the former, by a lot. (15K turns is just about forever, anyway.)

Comment

• NeoWizard
      Adept
      • Dec 2008

What I mean is, is it possible that one will be generated?
      NeoWizard

aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. fi yuo cna raed tihs, palce it in yuor siantugre. Olny 55% of plepoe can. mtat

Comment

• Nick
        Vanilla maintainer
        • Apr 2007

Not at the moment. They are two different ego types, so that would be like getting a Dagger (Defender) of Acid.
        One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
        In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Pete Mack
          Prophet
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by NeoWizard
          What I mean is, is it possible that one will be generated?
          There's only one in the game, the Phial of Galadriel. Until you find it, stick to Brightness, unless you are playing Ironman

Comment

• NeoWizard
            Adept
            • Dec 2008

@Nick:
            Thanks for the clarification!

@Pete Mack:
            What do you mean by --Stick to brightness unless you're playing Ironman?
            NeoWizard

Comment

• Mondkalb
              Knight
              • Apr 2007

Everburning is of course better when playing ironman because it frees a slot and you don't have to look for flasks of oil anymore.

For normal play brightness could be better because of the additional light radius. You have no problems to get oil at the general store.
              I'd prefer the free slot anyway.
              My Angband winners so far

My FAangband efforts so far

Comment

• Pete Mack
                Prophet
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Mondkalb
                Everburning is of course better when playing ironman because it frees a slot and you don't have to look for flasks of oil anymore.

For normal play brightness could be better because of the additional light radius. You have no problems to get oil at the general store.
                I'd prefer the free slot anyway.
                I never carry oil unless I'm playing Ironman. 15000 turns is a long, long time, much longer than I ever go without recalling. Just remember to refill when you are in town and are a little down on oil. The extra range makes a noticeable difference vs undead, until you have ESP.

Comment

• Mondkalb
                  Knight
                  • Apr 2007

Hm, I tend to wait a few hundred or thousand turns when playing a ranger - just waiting for pseudo id to kick in. That's bad behavior, I know. ;-)

Comment

• Larvitz
                    Adept
                    • Dec 2008

Well... I'm a Phialphile, so I've never looked for one, but judging by the various ego types, I'd say no...

No item can threaten my precious Phial...
                    I is the Larva. <3

Comment

• Daniel Fishman
                      Adept
                      • Apr 2007

Ego lanterns are for before you find the Phial (which can be quite some time with poor luck).

Comment

• Mondkalb
                        Knight
                        • Apr 2007

In my games they tend to be much rarer than the phial ...

Comment

• NeoWizard
                          Adept
                          • Dec 2008

In mine, I also found the Phial more often than any ego lanterns, and sometimes even before finding any lantern!
                          NeoWizard

Comment

• NeoWizard
                            Adept
                            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by NeoWizard
                            In mine, I also found the Phial more often than any ego lanterns, and sometimes even before finding any lantern!
                            I'll quote myself, it might have something to do if you dive instead of exploring!
                            NeoWizard

Comment

• Zikke
                              Veteran
                              • Jun 2008

I don't dive too much; I found a ton of lanterns before the Phial. RNG I guess
                              A(3.1.0b) CWS "Fyren_V" NEW L:50 DL:127 A++ R+++ Sp+ w:The Great Axe of Eonwe
                              A/FA W H- D c-- !f PV+++ s? d P++ M+
                              C- S+ I- !So B ac++ GHB? SQ? !RQ V F:

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡