X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Greyhame
    Rookie
    • Jan 2009

using replicating critters to increase level fast

There are numerous critters, beasts, etc that replicate rapidly. And you can use them to gain levels for your character rather fast

first--make sure your character has plenty of food and light source
    second--make sure your character has a way to return home
    third--come across a house fly, louse, hummerhorn(or other beast that replicates and your character can defeat easily and without sustaining severe damage to armor, etc). You have that creature in a room with a long straight hall coming out of it. With the creature replicating in the room, you get your character out of that room and into the long straight hallway. And allow many beasts to enter the hallway. At which point you attack towards the room containing all the replicating beasts, killing beasts along the way. Once your character gets to doorway of room---back your character back down the hallway allowing many beasts to follow--you then attack the beasts all the way to the doorway. ,

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx F F F FF xxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxF FF F F Fxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx FFFF F F xxxxx
    @ FFFFFFFF FFF FF F F FFxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx F FF F Fxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxFF F F F Fxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxFFFFF F Fxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Larvitz
    Adept
    • Dec 2008

I used to do that when I was new to the bands... however a nice a trick it is early on, on higher levels it takes like 20 to get a single exp point...

Maybe I just have no patience. ^_^;;
    I is the Larva. <3

Comment

• andrewdoull
      Unangband maintainer
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Larvitz
      I used to do that when I was new to the bands... however a nice a trick it is early on, on higher levels it takes like 20 to get a single exp point...

Maybe I just have no patience. ^_^;;
      This reminds me: would Angband play better if character level = maximum depth reached / 2?

Andrew
      The Roflwtfzomgbbq Quylthulg summons L33t Paladins -more-
      In UnAngband, the level dives you.
      ASCII Dreams: http://roguelikedeveloper.blogspot.com
      Unangband: http://unangband.blogspot.com

Comment

• PowerDiver
        Prophet
        • Mar 2008

Originally posted by andrewdoull
        This reminds me: would Angband play better if character level = maximum depth reached / 2?
        I don't think so. IMO you need some idea of experience. I think that granting 1 point of experience for each flavor or ego learned, or monster type killed, would make an interesting game. It would probably be necessary to set the maximum gainable experience to be about 10%-20% above what is needed for cLevel 50 or else provide scrolls that summon unkilled monster types to avoid forcing the char to revisit dLvl 1 if e.g. he never saw a white louse.

Comment

• Donald Jonker
          Knight
          • Jun 2008

Originally posted by andrewdoull
          That's how I play.. and yes, it's very very fun.

Edit: I see you mean as an alternative to gaining xp from killing monsters. I think it would be worth trying - people mostly kill for loot rather than xp as it is anyway.
          Bands, / Those funny little plans / That never work quite right.
          -Mercury Rev

Comment

• Jungle_Boy
            Swordsman
            • Nov 2008

I think it would be nice if gaining a level meant more than just a few more hp or possibly a new spell.

One of the reasons I like Chaos-Warriors in Z+ is cause they get a birthday present when they level.
            My first winner: http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=10138

Comment

• Donald Jonker
              Knight
              • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Jungle_Boy
              I think it would be nice if gaining a level meant more than just a few more hp or possibly a new spell.

One of the reasons I like Chaos-Warriors in Z+ is cause they get a birthday present when they level.
              Except when you get coal in your stocking.

Eyangband had interesting angels and demons who evolved predictable and on the whole beneficial powers. Maybe this ought to be explored: some variation on chaos warriors who receive more modest but guaranteed beneficial mutations. As it is with chaos warriors, I always tend to abandon them when I get some ridiculous mutation that gives me -4 speed or something.

Also there's something to be said, I think, for variants that give a stat boost every few levels - Un, Iron, Heng, (Ey?) - although the main thing I'm always after - extra blows - tend to be in short supply in said variants. In any case, it gives you a better sense of progression.
              Bands, / Those funny little plans / That never work quite right.
              -Mercury Rev

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍