X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jungle_Boy
    Swordsman
    • Nov 2008

Something that would be nice

I haven't gotten a chance to play a whole lot in the new version but I really like seeing when I have certain statuses like bless or hero or berserk. It would be pretty cool if there were a counter or something on there to let us know how long it's going to last. Especially if we're repeatedly casting a spell to try to get it to last a whole trip like I've seen suggested elsewhere.
    My first winner: http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=10138
  • takkaria
    Veteran
    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Jungle_Boy
    I haven't gotten a chance to play a whole lot in the new version but I really like seeing when I have certain statuses like bless or hero or berserk. It would be pretty cool if there were a counter or something on there to let us know how long it's going to last. Especially if we're repeatedly casting a spell to try to get it to last a whole trip like I've seen suggested elsewhere.
    I considered this when I put in the new display, but decided against it; part of the point of the randomness in status changes is that you don't know quite how long they'll last. It's also pretty unjustifiable in game terms; how would the character know that information?
    takkaria whispers something about options. -more-

Comment

• Donald Jonker
      Knight
      • Jun 2008

Originally posted by takkaria
      I considered this when I put in the new display, but decided against it; part of the point of the randomness in status changes is that you don't know quite how long they'll last. It's also pretty unjustifiable in game terms; how would the character know that information?
      Maybe not exactly how long it would last, but you could ballpark it. If you can know that you're buzzed/tipsy/jolly/raucous/fall-down drunk, and can infer how long drunkenness will last from that, you can apply that to how poisoned/blessed (you feel pious/holy/angelic/a god among insects)/&c you are and how long it will last.

So, maybe not a specific number of turns, but a general indicator?

Edit: Perhaps by color, or poison/bless level 1/2/3.
      Bands, / Those funny little plans / That never work quite right.
      -Mercury Rev

Comment

• takkaria
        Veteran
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Donald Jonker
        Maybe not exactly how long it would last, but you could ballpark it. If you can know that you're buzzed/tipsy/jolly/raucous/fall-down drunk, and can infer how long drunkenness will last from that, you can apply that to how poisoned/blessed (you feel pious/holy/angelic/a god among insects)/&c you are and how long it will last.

So, maybe not a specific number of turns, but a general indicator?

Edit: Perhaps by color, or poison/bless level 1/2/3.
        Some effects it is plausible for, some it is not. Those for which it is not are those which are on/off effects, such as berserk, bless, heroism, resistances etc. -- these end suddenly rather than get weaker. Maybe poison could be put in the plausible category but I don't see any real need to change that at the moment.

Comment

• buzzkill
          Prophet
          • May 2008

Some effects it is plausible for, some it is not. Those for which it is not are those which are on/off effects, such as berserk, bless, heroism, resistances etc. -- these end suddenly rather than get weaker. Maybe poison could be put in the plausible category but I don't see any real need to change that at the moment.
          Poison is the only one that it is really needed for, since it is the only one that can kill you, and it's easy to lose track of how many times you have been poisoned.

The argument could be made that warrior classes, being more familiar with such spell-like effects would be able to 'feel' the heroism/berserk strength about to wear off. The same with priestly types and blessings, mages and resistances.
          www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.
          My banding life on Buzzkill's ladder.

Comment

• takkaria
            Veteran
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by buzzkill
            Poison is the only one that it is really needed for, since it is the only one that can kill you, and it's easy to lose track of how many times you have been poisoned.

The argument could be made that warrior classes, being more familiar with such spell-like effects would be able to 'feel' the heroism/berserk strength about to wear off. The same with priestly types and blessings, mages and resistances.
            I'm happy enough to do it with poison, but not anything else.

Comment

• vorondil
              Apprentice
              • Dec 2008

I'd like to see when I have it, if not how long it lasts.

How many buffs are there? There's shield, bless, protection from evil, berserk, hero...anything else?
              Now playing Abasorix, half-troll warrior in V-4.0.5.

Comment

• takkaria
                Veteran
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by vorondil
                I'd like to see when I have it, if not how long it lasts.

How many buffs are there? There's shield, bless, protection from evil, berserk, hero...anything else?
                V 3.1 beta shows all the buffs along the bottom lines already.

Comment

• vorondil
                  Apprentice
                  • Dec 2008

Awesome. Just goes to show I should play my 3.1 character more...
                  Now playing Abasorix, half-troll warrior in V-4.0.5.

Comment

• Zikke
                    Veteran
                    • Jun 2008

I'm happy enough to do it with poison, but not anything else.

Do you think stun too? That stacks and you would know how badly you're stunned, I would think.
                    A(3.1.0b) CWS "Fyren_V" NEW L:50 DL:127 A++ R+++ Sp+ w:The Great Axe of Eonwe
                    A/FA W H- D c-- !f PV+++ s? d P++ M+
                    C- S+ I- !So B ac++ GHB? SQ? !RQ V F:

Comment

• takkaria
                      Veteran
                      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Zikke
                      Do you think stun too? That stacks and you would know how badly you're stunned, I would think.
                      I'm guessing you've never been at "Heavy stun" or "Knocked out", then?

Comment

• Zikke
                        Veteran
                        • Jun 2008

I'm guessing you've never been at "Heavy stun" or "Knocked out", then?
                        Personally I always thought that the stun level right before Knocked Out should include a blindness status as well. It would fit with realism; your vision and hearing go and that's usually the beginning of the end.

Comment

• takkaria
                          Veteran
                          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Zikke
                          Personally I always thought that the stun level right before Knocked Out should include a blindness status as well. It would fit with realism; your vision and hearing go and that's usually the beginning of the end.
                          Yeah, it's a fair point, but stunning is nasty enough as it is. Realism by itself generally isn't a good reason to change things.

Comment

• Atarlost
                            Swordsman
                            • Apr 2007

You could add a stun level instead of adding blind to the current penultimate level.
                            Maybe go "Heavy Stun" to "Vision Loss" to "Knocked Out" instead of "Heavy Stun" directly to "Knocked Out".
                            One Ring to rule them all. One Ring to bind them.
                            One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness interrupt the movie.

Comment

• Zikke
                              Veteran
                              • Jun 2008

It certainly would give the player a visual cue when they're about to be knocked out. Not sure if rBlind would actually prevent this or not

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡