"Cannot initialize graphics!" when they exist.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Someone N. Oemos
    Rookie
    • Jan 2009

"Cannot initialize graphics!" when they exist.

Read the title, and you'll know my problem. Help requested!
  • Nick
    Vanilla maintainer
    • Apr 2007

Are you using Windows? Do you get any other messages? When does it happen?
    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Malak Darkhunter
      Knight
      • May 2007

The question is, are you initializing the right graphics? You have pure Ascii, old tiles, adam bolts 16x16 and david gervais 32x32 tiles, if you are trying to use a graphical tileset you don't have, that when the message appears. Look in your lib,xtra,graph folders to see what graphics you have. If this isn't the problem then it could be the fact that the game you are playing dosen't support graphics, I remember I think an older version Oangband that didn't support the graphics tileset even though it was listed in the options menu.

Comment

• Donald Jonker
        Knight
        • Jun 2008

A few more possibilities:

With vanilla angband, even though the xtra\graf folder has a 32x32.bmp file, you still need to download the graphics separately to get the mask32 file (see the download tab above here at oook).

Another possibility is if you have your game folder (whateverband) inside another folder that contains the same string, i.e. (c:\whateverband2.5\whateverband\whateverband.exe) it sometimes messes up the path to find the graphics and they won't load properly. So just change the parent directory, i.e., (c:\superhappyfuntime\whateverband\whateverband.ex e) and you'll be golden.
        Bands, / Those funny little plans / That never work quite right.
        -Mercury Rev

Comment

• Someone N. Oemos
          Rookie
          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Nick
          Are you using Windows? Do you get any other messages? When does it happen?
          Well, for example, when I try to open the 8x8 graphics file I get the warning "Cannot read bitmap file '8X8.BMP'". Don't know why, either, seeing as it's right there in the xtra/graf folder. I am using Windows.

Malak Darkhunter: I have the latest version...

Donald Jonker: I've just downloaded the mask32 bitmap - we'll see if it works.

Edit: It didn't. I'm still getting "hey, I'm a jerk and aren't going to give you any graphics!" messages.

Comment

• Nick
            Vanilla maintainer
            • Apr 2007

I can think of two possibilities:
            1. There is something wrong with the path. The executable needs to be in the same folder that the lib folder is in. If you are running from a shortcut, you could try running the executable directly and see if that changes anything. If you can save and open old savefiles OK, that probably indicates that it isn't a path problem.
            2. It is operating system related. People sometimes have difficulties when they don't have admin priveleges in Windows (although that doesn't seem likely here). You could try all the usual sort of stuff when something fails, like restarting.

This is quite puzzling; basically that message means that Angband can't find the file.
            One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
            In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• buzzkill
              Prophet
              • May 2008

Originally posted by Someone N. Oemos
              Well, for example, when I try to open the 8x8 graphics file I get the warning "Cannot read bitmap file '8X8.BMP'". Don't know why, either, seeing as it's right there in the xtra/graf folder. I am using Windows.
              Recent Widows (XP/Vista) or Ancient (95/95/ME)?
              Have you tried one of the other tile sets? (AB 16x16 or DVG 32x32)?
              The mask32.bmp you downloaded goes with the 32x32.bmp, DVG tileset.
              www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.
              My banding life on Buzzkill's ladder.

Comment

• Someone N. Oemos
                Rookie
                • Jan 2009

Recent Windows (XP), and I've tried all of them.

Edit: OK, never mind. I moved it to a different folder, and that clinched it.
                Last edited by Someone N. Oemos; January 5, 2009, 18:01.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎