X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • takkaria
    Veteran
    • Apr 2007

3.1-dev: Call for bugs and patches

I'm gearing up to put out a beta of 3.1 and then fairly shortly after, release a final 3.1. So, I'd like to request bugs, and patches.

I'd thus appreciate it if everyone who's been testing the nightlies or SVN grabbed the latest version and see if any bugs they've noticed or reported before are still there.

The ones I know about already are:
    - walls are invisible under Vista
    - monsters meant to drop great items often don't
    - ring of escaping doesn't impair spellcasting or ranged attacks
    - invisible traps can be shown via "use visuals"
    - fear is a bit messed up stil
    - social status not reset on quickstart
    - reading rune of protection scrolls from the floor doesn't destroy the scroll
    - slow poison isn't always read in on restart

Any others, please report away here. Also, to anyone with patches lying around that might be useful, I'm going to stop accepting patches for 3.1 fairly soon, so I'd appreciate knowing about them. I'm likely to do some file rearranging just before release, so if you don't get them to me fairly soon there might be some annoying work ahead for you.
    takkaria whispers something about options. -more-
  • d_m
    Angband Devteam member
    • Aug 2008

I have some small patches in trac responding to issues there:

#483, #536, #644

Also, I just noticed a bug where after getting opened, chests stick around for awhile until the square is redrawn. Seems like a display refreshing bug. I'll try to see if I can figure it out. I've noticed this mostly in GCU mode (though I have no idea if it is limited to that).
    linux->xterm->screen->pmacs

Comment

• Big Al
      Swordsman
      • Apr 2007

On Macs, some preferences (eg. window size/location) are stored in net.thangorodrim.Angband.plist. Should/can this be updated to the new rephial site? The website name is stored in src/osx/Angband.xml.
      Come play Metroplexity!
      Un, V MX H- D c-- f- PV s- d+ P++ M+
      c-- S I++ So+ B+ ac- !GHB SQ RQ+ V+

Comment

• chem
        Adept
        • Sep 2007

Could we get a preview changelog in this thread, so people know what's making it in? And links to important bugs in the tracker?

It may make this thread a little more productive Thanks.

Comment

• takkaria
          Veteran
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by chem
          Could we get a preview changelog in this thread, so people know what's making it in? And links to important bugs in the tracker?

It may make this thread a little more productive Thanks.
          The current changelog can be found at: http://dev.rephial.org/trac/browser/trunk/changes.txt

The list of remaining bugs for 3.1 on the tracker is at: http://dev.rephial.org/trac/query?st...ilestone=3.1.0

Not too many left now.

Comment

• Nick
            Vanilla maintainer
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by takkaria
            The current changelog can be found at: http://dev.rephial.org/trac/browser/trunk/changes.txt
            This is awesome. I'm caught between admiration and annoyance that I'm now going to have to update my codebase...

EDIT: Meant to say - if this is out (even the beta) in time, I think the next comp should be one of these, preferably that highlights new stuff. Maybe a rogue?
            Last edited by Nick; December 25, 2008, 01:15.
            One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
            In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• takkaria
              Veteran
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Nick
              This is awesome. I'm caught between admiration and annoyance that I'm now going to have to update my codebase...

EDIT: Meant to say - if this is out (even the beta) in time, I think the next comp should be one of these, preferably that highlights new stuff. Maybe a rogue?
              Note that's er, a summary. There's loads more stuff just glossed over or not mentioned at all--it's a pretty major update, I guess. This is why more regular releases are clearly a better idea, since I don't envy the task of updating to the V 3.1 codebase.

Comment

• Nick
                Vanilla maintainer
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by takkaria
                Note that's er, a summary.
                Yes, I've been watching the changes off and on - it just all looks very impressive when it's put in one spot.

I don't envy the task of updating to the V 3.1 codebase.
                I was feeling energetic a couple of hours ago when I wrote that, and the idea of documenting where everything had gone and then replacing all distinct V functions with their FA version seemed like a good idea. And I must say, it still does - although I am less sure about my follow-through. We'll just have to see. I did update to 3.0.8, so how bad can this be?
                One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Malak Darkhunter
                  Knight
                  • May 2007

Okay I noticed a possible bug playing the latest version of 3.1.0, I found a cloak, which later psudo-id'd as (magical) yet when I brought it up to town and identified it, it turned out to be a cloak (1,-4) with no special abilities. Do worthless unidentified objects psdu-id as magical?

Comment

• Big Al
                    Swordsman
                    • Apr 2007

More-or-less. Now cursed items and the enchantment are not necessarily connected, so any non-cursed, non-ego, non-zero-enchantment will show up as {magical}. True "worthless" things like boots of annoyance should pseudo as {worthless}, and cursed items (meaning you can't unequip them - not that they're necessarily bad) pseudo as {cursed}.
                    Come play Metroplexity!

Comment

• chem
                      Adept
                      • Sep 2007

The bug tracker lists no known issues for 3.1 and Mac OS X. Is this true? Anyone compiled/played on a Mac lately? Or Linux? I presume Linux gets tested all the time.

edit: somehow I glossed over Big Al's earlier post. Is he using the latest OS X, 10.5.x? And which compiler?
                      Last edited by chem; January 6, 2009, 18:08.

Comment

• Big Al
                        Swordsman
                        • Apr 2007

I've been compiling a copy of the latest dev version every few days; no obvious bugs or warnings on my Macbook Pro OS X 10.4 other than the known ones listed on trac that I can find (nothing Mac specific). I use gcc via the terminal for compiling.
                        Come play Metroplexity!

Comment

• Lebannen
                          Apprentice
                          • Apr 2008

The bug tracker lists no known issues for 3.1 and Mac OS X. Is this true? Anyone compiled/played on a Mac lately? Or Linux? I presume Linux gets tested all the time.

edit: somehow I glossed over Big Al's earlier post. Is he using the latest OS X, 10.5.x? And which compiler?
                          I tried to fix all the reported issues on OS X, including via searches here and in r.g.r.a. The latest nightlies are always available if you fancy giving one a go...

(You should also be able to compile out of the box with gcc on 10.4/10.5)

Big Al, I'm not sure about the site change - it's probably a good idea, as long as we import the old prefs on first launch if the new ones aren't found. Thoughts anyone? (Summary: OS X stores prefs using the java-like syntax of origin.program, so for the last while Angband and all the variants use filenames like net.thagorodrim.Angband.plist)

Comment

• chem
                            Adept
                            • Sep 2007

Thanks Al, thanks Leb.

There hasn't been a significant new version of [V] in a year and a half. Let's get a beta of this sucker out so a release can come before the 2 year anniv of 3.0.9. I remember [V] stalled under rr9 because release early, release often kind of disappeared. Fortunately the process is about 100x more transparent and collaborative under our new maintainer. Let's have [V] finish this decade strong!

Comment

• takkaria
                              Veteran
                              • Apr 2007

Thanks Al, thanks Leb.

There hasn't been a significant new version of [V] in a year and a half. Let's get a beta of this sucker out so a release can come before the 2 year anniv of 3.0.9. I remember [V] stalled under rr9 because release early, release often kind of disappeared. Fortunately the process is about 100x more transparent and collaborative under our new maintainer. Let's have [V] finish this decade strong!
                              Well, 3.1 beta should be out in the next couple days. After that, I intend to release a 3.1.1 beta, 3.1.2 beta, and so forth, probably ending at 3.1.6 or something, which will be the final release of this series.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍