X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fenrir
    Apprentice
    • Dec 2008

Fenrir's Thread

A recent NetHack-winner ventures into the true merciless territory of Angband...

The first twenty-or-so attempts are not pretty... but after much dying, Fenrir stops playing half troll warriors and tries out rangers.

The second ranger attempt, a human ranger, is currently doing very well:

-- Bullroarer dropped some artifact gauntlets. (Pauraegen)

-- Smeagol dropped some artifact gauntlets. (Paurhach)

-- Got a defender weapon.

-- Found the metal cap of Thengel.

-- Found the phial.

-- Found boots of speed (+6)

So Fenrir is currently running around '2100, at level 32 and with nearly everything maxed.
    He hit me for HOW MUCH?????
  • Nile
    Scout
    • Jul 2008

Boots of speed are very rare - you are fortunate! Make sure to get poison resist, if you don't have it already.

Comment

• Bandobras
      Knight
      • Apr 2007

Hmm, a ranger? And you don't mention your beloved bow? Ha, those humans, no appreciation for woodcraft...

Comment

• Fenrir
        Apprentice
        • Dec 2008

Oh yes, I had forgotten!

-- Got a superb feeling and found Green dragon scale mail.

Got free action via the ring, also.

My bow is +9 +9 and an unique dwarf almost made me scream when he disenchanted it all the way back to +3 when I was careless

I now understand why everyone hates the hounds. It has happened to me 983246 times in this same game that I go down the > and there's a huge pack of inertia/gravity hounds that attacks me in the first turn and get me down to 4 hp before I get a move.

But I plain just _refuse_ to get any more "It breathes. You die." Yay for teleport staves and levelport scrolls!

Comment

• Zikke
          Veteran
          • Jun 2008

Nick made FA so that the player always gets the first turn when going up or down stairs. That's a feature that, in my opinion, should be implemented in V.
          A(3.1.0b) CWS "Fyren_V" NEW L:50 DL:127 A++ R+++ Sp+ w:The Great Axe of Eonwe
          A/FA W H- D c-- !f PV+++ s? d P++ M+
          C- S+ I- !So B ac++ GHB? SQ? !RQ V F:

Comment

• Fenrir
            Apprentice
            • Dec 2008

Getting the first turn would really decrease the number of "it breathes. You die"

-- A troll dropped a suspicious 2d4 dagger, turned out ot be Nimthanc.

-- Found another suspicious 2d4 dagger in the next level.

I'd get two blows with any of these, but I can't change my defender weapon, I need all these resists.

-- Found elvenkind armor.

Still not willing to swap my green dragon scale mail due to poison res.

The defender weapon's resist turned out to be paralysis, so I left my ring at home. I wish I hadn't sold that ring of accuracy! I just can't seem to hit anything anymore (even though my arrows are +7 to hit).

A big scare with a demonologist who summoned a death quasit that summoned vroks and then erynis and so on. I teleported and landed right in front of medusa, who immediately surrounded me with hydras and had to levelport out of there with minimal hp.

A gray 'e' disenchanted my bow again. Also, there was another big scare with a master dread and a room full of dreads and a shade and patriarch. Aren't 'G's detected with detect monsters? I will need to carry a staff of detect evil after that...

Got a superb feeling, and there was a huge, HUGE, vault full of Wyrms of Power. I thought I had a chance to snatch that black dragon scale mail and the longbow before something killed me (with the help of my three wands of teleport away), but I couldn't even get inside the vault to start with!

Thinking about it, it was good I couldn't get inside of that vault. Even though believe me, I tried.

Comment

• PowerDiver
              Prophet
              • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Fenrir
              The defender weapon's resist turned out to be paralysis
              Defenders always resist paralysis among other abilities. The "hidden power" on a defender is a random sustain.

Comment

• Nile
                Scout
                • Jul 2008

Aren't 'G's detected with detect monsters? I will need to carry a staff of detect evil after that...
                'G's are invisible, so you will need to use detect invisible to see them (third book, spell g). Always mcg after mab.

Comment

• Zikke
                  Veteran
                  • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Nile
                  Always mcg after mab.

Sounds like a good T-shirt ^_^
                  A(3.1.0b) CWS "Fyren_V" NEW L:50 DL:127 A++ R+++ Sp+ w:The Great Axe of Eonwe
                  A/FA W H- D c-- !f PV+++ s? d P++ M+
                  C- S+ I- !So B ac++ GHB? SQ? !RQ V F:

Comment

• Donald Jonker
                    Knight
                    • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Zikke
                    Sounds like a good T-shirt ^_^
                    ...with obscure shakespearean/shellyan overtones :P
                    Bands, / Those funny little plans / That never work quite right.
                    -Mercury Rev

Comment

• Fenrir
                      Apprentice
                      • Dec 2008

Bah. From a while ago everything is just shrugging off my arrows. Fenrir is offended!

Being the dragon slayer I am, I've been wanting to take down one of these dragon uniques. Unfortunately, Kavlax's lightning breath scares me, (since it got me to 12 hp last time) and I predict a gravestone with my name in it if I were to battle Smaug as I am right now; so that only means one thing-- time to procrastinate around the dungeon!

I went back to dungeon level 1 and started descending with hopes of meeting one of these uniques I've missed and of that they won't just drop _yet_another_ cheap +5 +4 mace.

Defenders always resist paralysis among other abilities. The "hidden power" on a defender is a random sustain.
                      Oh... then I hereby declare the "The hidden powers of the Defender weapons are there to trick n00bs into wasting *ID* scrolls" line is true.

Comment

• PowerDiver
                        Prophet
                        • Mar 2008

I went back to dungeon level 1 and started descending with hopes of meeting one of these uniques I've missed and of that they won't just drop _yet_another_ cheap +5 +4 mace.
                        Uniques drop based in part upon dungeon depth, just like everyone else. If you want to boost your chance of better stuff, better to kill them 20 levels deeper than their native depth. Going back to dLevel 1 is just asking for cheap stuff.

Comment

• Fenrir
                          Apprentice
                          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by PowerDiver
                          Uniques drop based in part upon dungeon depth, just like everyone else. If you want to boost your chance of better stuff, better to kill them 20 levels deeper than their native depth. Going back to dLevel 1 is just asking for cheap stuff.
                          That explains the maces.

But I got so out-of-my depth that something nasty'd show up everytime I tried to get to the up-staircase, and I'd have to read yet another levelport scroll that would (of course) take me another level down. Pretty sad actually.

So, running past boring dungeons I go!

Say, where is a good depth for finding arrows? Good arrows that uniques won't shrug off? Or should I continue struggling to enchant some to plus something?

Comment

• Donald Jonker
                            Knight
                            • Jun 2008

Say, where is a good depth for finding arrows? Good arrows that uniques won't shrug off? Or should I continue struggling to enchant some to plus something?
                            Finding good arrows tends to be something of a crapshoot, in my experience. I usually stockpile ?tohit and ?todam (lots of them) and enchant 99 arrows until i get bored.. around +5,+5. Even when uniques shrug off, though, you're still whittling them down. Just pack a whole lot of ?phase and arrows, and eventually they'll keel over.
                            Bands, / Those funny little plans / That never work quite right.
                            -Mercury Rev

Comment

• Fenrir
                              Apprentice
                              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Donald Jonker
                              Finding good arrows tends to be something of a crapshoot, in my experience. I usually stockpile ?tohit and ?todam (lots of them) and enchant 99 arrows until i get bored.. around +5,+5. Even when uniques shrug off, though, you're still whittling them down. Just pack a whole lot of ?phase and arrows, and eventually they'll keel over.
                              I think less arrows enchant quicker, though, but they're still less arrows. Anyway, yeah, that's what I'm doing-- dragging around a wagon full of arrows to fire at monsters so they eventually suffocate under them (how they all even fit into that backpack I don't know). But it stinks that they take FOREVER to drop one star and you don't get to shrug off their nether bolts.

I had a stack of 99 +7 +6 arrows and then got a pack of water hounds created in front of me... and later found an acid elemental and plasma votices... I was all "AHHHHH!!! It took more than fifty-nine scrolls to enchant these arrows!! NOOOO!!!!" Because, of course, it was the +7 +6 stack the one that had to get affected and not the cheap +0 one...

Bleh. Classic RNG... I'm starting to think the RNG is Morgorth... either that or he likes him a pretty darn lot!

Another question: what does 2 shots per turn mean? Okay, yes, sounds dumb, but... I fire at some monster with 99 arrows and the game says I have 98 left! Am I doing something wrong here? Am I magically multiplying arrows?

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍