X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • retrobits
    Scout
    • Dec 2008

help with rNexus

I'm a fairly new player. Been casually playing off and on for years, but lately practicing more to improve and dive faster. Got to 1500' today with my dunadan warrior and read "it breathes nexus" (no monster visible). Next thing I knew my wisdom had swapped with my strength and now it seems my game is basically over. Not instadeath, but apparently unfixable.

Am I really stupid being at this depth w/o resist Nexus? Seems like these items are rare.
  • PowerDiver
    Prophet
    • Mar 2008

Basically you are right, instadeath.

It helps if you can manage rods of light [beam] and use them to light all corridors, and also rods of illumination to light all rooms. Then you have a better chance to see them coming. You also need to be paranoid about hearing doors break open.

If you see them, teleport immediately [preferably teleport level] and look for stairs ASAP.

Sometimes you can't help it, and it's just an unlucky instadeath.

Comment

• retrobits
      Scout
      • Dec 2008

I re-read carefully "Tales of the Bold Rogue", and indeed this topic is covered in there at about this depth. Thanks for all your help.

Comment

• Mondkalb
        Knight
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by retrobits
        I'm a fairly new player. Been casually playing off and on for years, but lately practicing more to improve and dive faster. Got to 1500' today with my dunadan warrior and read "it breathes nexus" (no monster visible). Next thing I knew my wisdom had swapped with my strength and now it seems my game is basically over. Not instadeath, but apparently unfixable.

Am I really stupid being at this depth w/o resist Nexus? Seems like these items are rare.
        Boots of Stability grant rnexus and are somewhat common and may also appear in the Armory or the Black Market.
        My Angband winners so far

My FAangband efforts so far

Comment

• vorondil
          Apprentice
          • Dec 2008

Is nexus damage like basic elemental damage in that it sometimes gets through even if you have the resist? Is there a resist nexus potion?

EDIT: Also, on maximize mode, does a successful Nexus attack switch even the class and race bonus points, or "just" the currently attained max stat values? In other words, if I have the potential to get 18/150 on charisma and 18/70 on constitution and their present maxes get switched, do their potentials for the entire game get switched?
          Last edited by vorondil; December 14, 2008, 20:55.
          Now playing Abasorix, half-troll warrior in V-4.0.5.

Comment

• Daniel Fishman
            Adept
            • Apr 2007

Any resist removes only part of the damage. I believe any resist - including elemental - will protect the player, but not his backpack, from bad side-effects. So RNexus will always prevent stat swapping.
            No, there is no RNexus potion.
            In maximize mode, it swaps the internal stat. So the potentials stay the same. I don't know what happens in non-maximise mode though - if you have innate +5 CON and +0 CHA, and 18/100 CHA, and CON and CHA are swapped, would you then get 18/150 CON? (Question addressed to anyone who plays with maximise off, or who knows the code)

Comment

• Donald Jonker
              Knight
              • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Daniel Fishman
              Any resist removes only part of the damage. I believe any resist - including elemental - will protect the player, but not his backpack, from bad side-effects.
              This is true of vanilla. Your equipped inventory is safe, but anything in your pack is vulnerable unless you have immunity (or unless the item itself has its own elemental immunity).

In Hengband, and probably other variants, having resists and double resists decreases the chance of damage to your inventory.
              Bands, / Those funny little plans / That never work quite right.
              -Mercury Rev

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍