Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Estie
    Veteran
    • Apr 2008

I might agree with the relative difficulty of classes, but even a new rogue has a harder time winning than an old rogue.
    Also that is not necessarily a bad thing; at least part of the reduced difficulty is a result of less tedium (for example, it is no longer necessary to carry wands of acid ball to faster sort through loot).

Comment

• Pete Mack
      Prophet
      • Apr 2007

Sorry I wasn't clear. I was comparing them to the old classes.

Comment

• Magnate
        Angband Devteam member
        • May 2007

... and you said Mage is much easier? When Mage used to have infallible GoI??
        "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• Pete Mack
          Prophet
          • Apr 2007

No GOI in 3.0, which is what I thought we were using as a baseline.

Comment

• Magnate
            Angband Devteam member
            • May 2007

Ah, fair enough then. I can't remember what changed when!
            "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• quarague
              Swordsman
              • Jun 2012

On the original LOS abuse topic:

I personally play without it. I had a few winners in 3.x versions and currently playing 4.2.5 and it works fine. I think I intuitively assume LOS is symmetric and occasionally get screwed if monsters have LOS advantage over me. I recall writing something like that back in the days of 3.x versions and getting a bunch of very surprised reactions.

I do use STM to dig anti-summoning corridors but that feels way less abusive to me. I have LOS of exactly one monster and only that monster has LOS of me. Very useful for summoners.

So in short, one can fix this issue by making LOS symmetric. The game is definitely still playable then. A lot of people may have to adapt their strategies though.

Comment

• Pete Mack
                Prophet
                • Apr 2007

It'd help somewhat if monsters chose angled(1379) moves preferentially over axial (2468) moves, rather the other way around. The way it works now means monsters will tend to give you LOS abuse, even if you don't already have it.

Comment

• Adam
                  Adept
                  • Feb 2016

Originally posted by Grotug
                  I enjoy STM but when it's 5 mana and you have 300 mana it's kind of hard not to abuse it. Being able to just go wherever you like all the time is kind of OP. Fortunately Morgoth is still difficult as it's nigh impossible to do LoS trickery on him.
                  You can also abuse LoS on Morgoth. Big empty room in the corner and a 2x2 block in the far end of it. You position yourself in a way to have LoS on him (depending on whether his moving direction is below or above diagonal). When he is getting close TO and do it again.
                  Let the players decide if assymetric LoS is fun for them. For me it's not. I did it for my first win though (combined with glyphs in the tunnel).

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎