Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • agoodman
    Adept
    • Jan 2011

as mentioned in https://angband.live/forums/forum/an...f-they-find-it dynamic calcs has been added back to the code with a new format. If people who compile the code themselves want to grab it and let me know
    1) how to better document it
    2) how to modify the format to be more readable
    3) any other changes they might want
    it would be appreciated
    thanks!

Comment

• eschiss1
      Rookie
      • May 2013

Well, my current borg when fighting Itangast tries to pick him off from a distance with iron shots from a bow- no problem- but fails to take a turn (though it's not -that- serious a risk for a great gain; 990+ hp, borg) to change to his dragonslaying artifact weapon when Itangast has moved adjacent- just keeps poinking with +0 iron shots. not great, that. (Angband 4.2.5 compiled under MacPorts running on my MacOS 14.5 computer. With, since it may matter, randarts selected.)

Comment

• agoodman
        Adept
        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Grommen
        In the latest release (maybe previous ones too. just getting back into this), https://github.com/angband/angband/r...157-g3c9cb4468, my level 40 Druid likes to cast Turn Stone to Mud a lot. Seems to mostly get stuck in this loop when near those small monster areas that are mostly surrounded my indestructible walls.
        It looks like backwardsEric has a fix to this. Just pushed it forward. I missed this entirely.
        Thanks!

Comment

• agoodman
          Adept
          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by eschiss1
          Well, my current borg when fighting Itangast tries to pick him off from a distance with iron shots from a bow- no problem- but fails to take a turn (though it's not -that- serious a risk for a great gain; 990+ hp, borg) to change to his dragonslaying artifact weapon when Itangast has moved adjacent- just keeps poinking with +0 iron shots. not great, that. (Angband 4.2.5 compiled under MacPorts running on my MacOS 14.5 computer. With, since it may matter, randarts selected.)
          I will take a look at the weapon swap code. I didn't write this section so it might take me a bit to understand it. My memory of it is that the borg is good at swapping to be safer ("mon might breath fire, switch to a resist fire swap item") but not as good at "I can attack better with this swap".

Comment

• agoodman
            Adept
            • Jan 2011

ya, the only places it uses swap items is borg-item-wear.c/borg_backup_swap(). The comment to it says it all

* Place our "swap" if needed. We check both the armour and the weapon
            * then wear the one that give the best result (lowest danger).
            * This function is adopted from "borg_wear_stuff()" and borg_wear_rings
            * Basically, we evaluate the world in which the swap is added
            * to the current set of equipment, and we use weapon,
            * that gives the largest drop in danger---based mostly on resists.
            * The borg is forbidden to swap out certain resistances.

It doesn't even check "hey, how about if I swap to get a better attack"... unless it thinks it can kill the baddie, thus reducing the danger.

I think this would be a good enhancement so I will keep it in mind. I will have to think about where a "could attack better via swap" hook could be put in. It would need to be careful not to lose a resist by swapping or the borg would just instantly swap back before attacking getting into a swap loop.

Comment

• Grommen
              Rookie
              • Mar 2024

Using version 4.2.5-193-gfc1e6bcff

With turning afraid back on in 4.2.5-188-g24fce3201, borg can now get stuck in a hallway between 2 mobs. Attaching save or will email agoodman if that fails.

Comment

• agoodman
                Adept
                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Grommen
                Using version 4.2.5-193-gfc1e6bcff

With turning afraid back on in 4.2.5-188-g24fce3201, borg can now get stuck in a hallway between 2 mobs. Attaching save or will email agoodman if that fails.
                Looks like this is an old bug. From what I can tell reading the 3.4.0 code, it would have happened there too. The borg gets all the way to the "twitchy" stage where it just picks a random direction and goes in it. The problem is that trying to attack when afraid doesn't take a turn so there is never any progress.

I just checked in a "fix".... it isn't great but the borg will chip at a wall in hopes to not be so scared in the future. Works for your save file. If the borg is completely surrounded by monsters and afraid he will rest a turn. BTW, it should only get this far if it doesn't have a spell to case or a scroll, like phase door, to read. I notice your borg had a deep descent scroll on him but the borg doesn't currently know how to use those.

Comment

• agoodman
                  Adept
                  • Jan 2011

btw, I created
                  Borg todo list
                  which has a list of some of the things on the todo list... including the "deep descent isn't used",

Comment

• eschiss1
                    Rookie
                    • May 2013

Also, while I'm on it, apologies, but is there a chance that the borg [l]og function will be re-enabled in the near future? That said, I know I gripe, but it's just fun to have a working borg (for MacOS) back!- one of the borg dunadan paladins, for the first time in years and years, got as far down as dungeon level 92 before dying just recently...

Comment

• agoodman
                      Adept
                      • Jan 2011

Also, while I'm on it, apologies, but is there a chance that the borg [l]og function will be re-enabled in the near future? That said, I know I gripe, but it's just fun to have a working borg (for MacOS) back!- one of the borg dunadan paladins, for the first time in years and years, got as far down as dungeon level 92 before dying just recently...
                      It isn't working? There should be a borg-log.txt with a list of the deaths and causes and a borg.dat with the same data in csv format (I think) and, depending on your borg.txt settings, a {name}.map. You only get the .map if you are above the config borg_dump_level.

Comment

• eschiss1
                        Rookie
                        • May 2013

I thought the ^Z-l command began saving the borg messages to a file, hence "log" (this was, if I recall, true of earlier versions, years ago.) I didn't think it was doing anything because it wasn't doing that, but I may be mistaken; I had forgotten to check borg-log.txt. yes. Yep, borg-log.txt is there, registers two very good borgs in a row in fact (whose maximum death dungeon levels are a bit misleading as they were reset higher/less than they actually were, so one who died having reached level 92 at one point is described as "Killed on level: 74 (max. 74) by an osyluth", but, nothing for that . The one before that one couldn't quite figure out how to take on two drujn (drujs? Bruges? Drujes? ) at once, but I remember years ago getting taken out by merely one of them when playing at one in the morning by my lonesome, and can sympathize.)
                        Thanks!
                        Edit: most recent fairly long-lived borg instance died (this morning, only level 38/dlvl 28...) because, from the looks of the messages at death, did not recognize creeping adamantine coins as an enemy?... - ok, no, that's not the reason, the monster memory now says "Your ancestors have killed at least 20 of these creatures". Still, this borg was not even trying to fight back, which is - just weird. Can attach some form of the messages if that's helpful if it suggests there might be a bug...

Comment

• agoodman
                          Adept
                          • Jan 2011

I thought the ^Z-l command began saving the borg messages to a file, hence "log" (this was, if I recall, true of earlier versions, years ago.) I didn't think it was doing anything because it wasn't doing that, but I may be mistaken; !
                          Mistaken or not, not a bad idea. I will add a note to my todo list. Might even be better to dump the full character, map, and recent log much like the .map file on command.

Comment

• agoodman
                            Adept
                            • Jan 2011

I thought the ^Z-l command began saving the borg messages to a file, hence "log" (this was, if I recall, true of earlier versions, years ago.)
                            https://github.com/angband/angband/pull/6048 now crates a .map file that includes logged messages

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            😂
                            🥰
                            😘
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😞
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎