Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • half
    Knight
    • Jan 2009

The Dungeon of Doom was also my first roguelike (c. 1986). It had some nice innovations on the formula. Probably the best graphics for a roguelike at the time, and I especially liked the partial identification of a particular kind of item for each class (a forerunner to Angband's psuedo-id), the rumour screen (a cross between NetHack fortune cookies and a manual), and the way the levels very gradually became labyrinthine as you descended.

The increasing size of levels as you descend in Sil is directly inspired by this, and the deathblades are a reference to the rare magic swords of the same name in The Dungeon of Doom.

I next got into Hack (c. 1988), then Angband (c. 1995). Two friends at high school had got into Moria on PC, telling me all the stories of their characters. I couldn't find a mac copy, but managed to find this even more amazing version.

In 2001, I started modifying Angband in ways that would eventually be released 11 years later as Sil.

Comment

• Whelk
      Adept
      • Jun 2007

Originally posted by half
      Two friends at high school had got into Moria on PC, telling me all the stories of their characters. I couldn't find a mac copy, but managed to find this even more amazing version.
      Dude, I think this was it! We were a Mac family, and I always saw Moria mentioned but I could never find a way to play it, and I'm pretty sure that searching is what eventually led me to discover Angband.

Comment

• mrfy
        Swordsman
        • Jul 2015

Originally posted by Whelk
        Dude, I think this was it! We were a Mac family, and I always saw Moria mentioned but I could never find a way to play it, and I'm pretty sure that searching is what eventually led me to discover Angband.
        I got into Moria long ago, probably late 80s and played into the mid 90s. There were several mac ports available. I still have a few versions on my old imac running MacOS 9.2.2, called PXMoria and MacMoria. I also played it on unix, both on the mac and on other unix sytems.

Lost interest and then about in the mid 2000s discovered Angband.

Comment

• Talharim
          Apprentice
          • Jul 2015

Back in 87 or 88, a friend of mine at the university discovered Angband. He talked earnestly about it. He was enthusiastic about everything and I still remember him talking about his Dwarf priest clearing an orc pit with dispel evil.

I played a lot of Angband but was lousy at it and used savefiles. Then I drifted into Adom, which I played a LOT! Then I played ToME, Zangband, DCSS, Tales of Maj’Eyal, Sil, then I played more Angband, the farthest char was a lvl 45 Warrior that is on the ladder (I lost the savefile after the computer it was on broke down.

Then I DCSS again (that I finally won with several combinations of races and classes). Now I came back to Angband. Nick has done a wonderful job with the new classes and it has rekindled my interest in the game.

Let’s see if I can finally defeat Morgoth!

The problem is that I have a lot of characters. I have savegames of all the classes! I can’t decide on which one to commit to!
          Cowards live a long time, brave ones usually die soon of a glorious death.

Comment

• Egavactip
            Swordsman
            • Mar 2012

The guy said to me, "It's okay, kid, the first balrog is free."

Comment

• Pete Mack
              Prophet
              • Apr 2007

They say the best things in life are free.
              Speaking of "Spottgesang"
              Last edited by Pete Mack; April 27, 2023, 00:11.

Comment

• Estie
                Veteran
                • Apr 2008

Thats an old memory. I'll post my current song in the music thread.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎