X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chud
    Swordsman
    • Jun 2010

Single Combat quirks

Playing a paladin for the first time in a long time, so single combat is new to me (and very cool). A couple of things I noticed, which may be intended behavior - don't know.

- If I fire arrows/bolts/shots at something in single combat, any of those on the "arena" floor are lost when the combat is over. The monster treasure drops wherever it was, but bolts on the floor are gone.

- If I'm in single combat with something that drains experience, the drained experience appears to be restored when exiting the combat.
  • kineahora
    Apprentice
    • Sep 2021

Originally posted by Chud
    Playing a paladin for the first time in a long time, so single combat is new to me (and very cool). A couple of things I noticed, which may be intended behavior - don't know.

- If I fire arrows/bolts/shots at something in single combat, any of those on the "arena" floor are lost when the combat is over. The monster treasure drops wherever it was, but bolts on the floor are gone.

- If I'm in single combat with something that drains experience, the drained experience appears to be restored when exiting the combat.
    I hadn't noticed the issue with drained experience--maybe the victory vs the monster gave you more experience than was lost?

Ammunition and flung items--yes this has been around since Single Combat was invented. Do not fire/throw anything you want to keep unless you can pick it back up before you defeat the monster. My current Paladin is using the Spear of Oromë as a thrown weapon in the quiver to great effect. But i have to be careful with it: i have to fling it before entering single combat. If i throw it in the arena it might land under the monster and it would then be a dangerous dance to try to retrieve it before the kill...

I think the justification is that "Single combat" was supposed to be a melee battle, but I don't really buy it, because that Great Wyrm of Annihilation can still breathe on you in Single Combat and obliterate you...

Comment

• Sky
      Veteran
      • Oct 2016

Originally posted by kineahora
      ...because that Great Wyrm of Annihilation can still breathe on you ...
      ? That WHAT now?
      "i can take this dracolich"

Comment

• Estie
        Veteran
        • Apr 2008

It has to take into account though that all the annihilism it spewed will be lost when it kills you.

Comment

• Nick
          Vanilla maintainer
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Sky
          ? That WHAT now?
          You really should try 4.2
          One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
          In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• kineahora
            Apprentice
            • Sep 2021

Originally posted by Nick
            You really should try 4.2
            Yeah these beasties TOTALLY SUCK. They might as well be called "Great Wyrm of Massive Fuckery". I usually Banish them if possible or hope to get lucky with a TO...

Comment

• Pete Mack
              Prophet
              • Apr 2007

Wait til you seevthe Great Wyrm of Nihilism. If you lose your will check you forget to heal.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎