X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • raindog308
    Rookie
    • Sep 2022

Haven't Played Since 3.0.6. Wow.

I first started played Angband with 2.6 or 2.7 which some of us interns in the IT department at the U compiled on SunOS

Played off and on, gave up, tried, gave up, tried, swore it off, came back, finally beat it at 3.0.6 (Dunadan Ranger).

I used the then-state-of-the-art Sea of Runes strategy, which I believe not long after was nerfed. I wrote shops.spo back in the day…the whole shopping code got ridiculous and at one point was a dead appendage that someone just routed around, but that’s another story.

I guess the whole Lua experiment didn’t work out.

Anyway, I moved on and took up NetHack as my next target and eventually ascended a Ranger there as well. I enjoyed NH but obviously it's a very different game.

Coming back to Angband 4.2.4 is...wow! You people definitely been busy.

Necromancer and Blackgaurd are new, though races I think are the same. UI seems to have had a huge polish since I last played. I’ve always been amazed how smooth the Angband UI is and how much “unsung hero” work and good design has played a role.

Docs in the 2.x day were random text files cobbled together in Necronomicon-like .ZIP files of lore (some of which were actually very useful guides). In 4.x they are gorgeous, both on the web and in-game, though there don’t seem to be spoilers, though of course the source code and data files is there. I've always played permadeath and full spoilers.

Anyway, fired up a Dunedan Necromancer, stepped down to 50’, entered a room, and there on the floor was a Sling of Power (x2) (+5, +21). I think the RNG is just baiting me back into playing…
  • Estie
    Veteran
    • Apr 2008

Enjoy your sling of Overpower

Comment

• Pete Mack
      Prophet
      • Apr 2007

You can spoil monsters by copying monster.txt in the edit files to lore.txt in the user directory.

Comment

• backwardsEric
        Knight
        • Aug 2019

Originally posted by Pete Mack
        You can spoil monsters by copying monster.txt in the edit files to lore.txt in the user directory.
        That doesn't happen to work with 4.2.4 - a bug introduced between 4.2.3 and 4.2.4. It's fixed in the post-4.2.4 releases, https://github.com/angband/angband/releases , from 4.2.4-4-... on. One could also work around it by editing the newly created lore.txt and deleting the "message-vis:", "message-invis:", and "message-miss:" lines.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎