Are autoexplore and autofight (ala DCSS) worth it in V to reduce early game tedium?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Estie
    Veteran
    • Apr 2008

Originally posted by tom
    Why not start every character with 2 deep descent scrolls? That would also fix an issue (for me) that identifying the first deep descent scroll you find forces you to skip part of the early game, and in some race/class combos I don't want to.
    I like this.

Comment

• Pete Mack
      Prophet
      • Apr 2007

Or set skip-level to 3. (This is a lot of fun)

Comment

• smbhax
        Swordsman
        • Oct 2021

I actually like the thrill of accidentally deep descending from that first scroll, then fighting my way back up--although I can see how this would be a problem if your settings don't permit that.

Can level skip be changed on the fly?

About autocombat, I know I'm weird, but I just like @-bumping things. ^ _^ It's this uniquely roguelike thing that's just fun to do in its own right, for me.
        My Angband videos

Comment

• tangar
          Veteran
          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by tom
          Why not start every character with 2 deep descent scrolls? That would also fix an issue (for me) that identifying the first deep descent scroll you find forces you to skip part of the early game, and in some race/class combos I don't want to.
          Just open file lib/class.txt and add there 2 of such scrolls, if you wish so.. But it's kinda cheating IMHO (or rather playing a variantish V).

Originally posted by tom
          That would also fix an issue (for me) that identifying the first deep descent scroll you find forces you to skip part of the early game, and in some race/class combos I don't want to.
          It's not an issue, but an adventure. Sometimes pretty dangerous. It's not about skipping part of early game, but about surviving, especially with some 'paper' classes. You can always go back if you wish play on shallow lvls
          https://tangaria.com - Angband multiplayer variant
          tangaria.com/variants - Angband variants table
          tangar.info - my website ⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽
          youtube.com/GameGlaz — streams in English ⍽ youtube.com/StreamGuild — streams in Russian

Comment

• emar
            Apprentice
            • Jul 2019

The user has deleted this post.
            Last edited by emar; February 1, 2024, 01:10.

Comment

• emar
              Apprentice
              • Jul 2019

Last edited by emar; February 1, 2024, 01:11.

Comment

• emar
                Apprentice
                • Jul 2019

Last edited by emar; February 1, 2024, 01:11.

Comment

• Estie
                  Veteran
                  • Apr 2008

Originally posted by emar
                  It's a tragedy to me that Diablo ate Angband's metaphorical lunch. Introducing the general population (not being gatekept by grognards on reddit and elsewhere) to Angband via smartphones by building on Cuboideb et. al's work with sane defaults is I think a great way to keep the Angband player base alive (firmly segregated from the grognards via the playstore) akin to the adoption of Software-Defined Radio by less neophobic hams. Angband is an absolutely perfect game for smartphones if the controls can be optimized in a way that doesn't impact PC players at all.
                  Diablo not only ate Angbands lunch, it also consumed the last remainders of Blizzards winter supplies, but thats another story.

I am about as far from a legal expert as you can get, but my limited understanding was that Angband code was protected from being used commercially. So, could it end up in a play store at all, and if so, why ?

Comment

• emar
                    Apprentice
                    • Jul 2019

Last edited by emar; February 1, 2024, 01:12.

Comment

• Estie
                      Veteran
                      • Apr 2008

I didnt know that, very interesting. Do you have to pay for playing it on the phone ?

Comment

• emar
                        Apprentice
                        • Jul 2019

Last edited by emar; February 1, 2024, 01:12.

Comment

• Nick
                          Vanilla maintainer
                          • Apr 2007

I actually was thinking about the Moria legacy and started drafting a design document for a Moria-reinspired Angband fork.
                          Please do this. I got chills reading the description; a game which put this into practice would be epic. I don't know how much you've looked at Sil, but your ironman mode is very similar in game trajectory. I'm not going to comment very coherently now because my mind is kind of reeling with the implications, but imagine a couple of paragraphs of praise and that's more or less my reaction

I originally thought of going with a more humorous subversion--the Amulet of Neiklot replacing the ring and the Dountmoom, but I think the darker approach mirrors the epicness and sprawl. Borderline unrelated, if anyone has read House of Leaves, I'm pretty sure it was directly inspired by Angband and Moria.
                          I have not read House of Leaves, but I want to now.

Also, btw, I believe the original Android port was written by david3x3x3 and/or retrobits (see this thread, this github repo and this google code site).
                          One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                          In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Pete Mack
                            Prophet
                            • Apr 2007

The Android port is excellent, BTW. Yes it could be more emphatic about defaulting to the latest V. But that'scan easy fix.

Comment

• Cuboideb
                              Adept
                              • May 2020

Right now that version is effectively Angband-for-people-that-already-play-Angband. Making a vanilla-only version that already has a "just works" config would be Angband-for-people-that-stumbled-onto-it-while-waiting-for-the-bus.
                              Good observation.

Two unexpected issues I found with this port are:

1. Input speed. There is plenty of room to simplify the input method, but I noticed something. Angband players type really fast (you can hear it in youtube), so I tried to improve the port in that way (full keyboard, automatic display of menu options for the ribbon, floating buttons, etc.) instead of going for less amount of input widgets.

2. Minimum display size. This is a big one. Angband (and variants) screens are really huge for mobile. My favorite device is a tablet in landscape mode.

Right now I'm adding an experimental setting (optional) for halving z_info->max_range for V and FA to see how it works for large tile sizes. I think the game will be harder this way for mages (more close ranged combats), but I want to see if it improves the mobile gameplay.

Comment

• Pete Mack
                                Prophet
                                • Apr 2007

Did you change breath attenuation to match? Again, this matters most for mage, priest, rogue, and, ranger. (In that order.)

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎