X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • m0stlym0nk
    Scout
    • Nov 2013

Improvements to the Character screen's gear/attribute grid

Over the years, lots more useful stuff has shown up on the Character screen's "gear grid" (for want of a better term). However, there's a downside to this growth that I've noticed with newer players: it's a big overwhelming wall of text.

Character dumps usefully label the four section of the gear grid, like this:

Code:
    Resistances         Abilities
     Acid:......+..+... pFear:++.+.....+...
     Elec:......+.++... pBlnd:..+..+.......
     Fire:...*..+..+... pConf:........+....
    ~etc.
    Hindrances          Modifiers
    ImpHP:............. Stea.:....+.++.-...
    ImpSP:............. Sear.:....+........
     Fear:............. Infra:....+.......+
    ~etc.
    I'd like to propose two things, one perhaps less work than the other:

1. Label each of the four sections such as is shown in char dumps.
    That it isn't labeled in game strikes me as potentially purposeful, tho - is there a row limit that we try to stay within?

Either way, I really think this would be a big help, on what is arguably one of the most important screens of the game (so important, in fact, that I sometimes wonder if this is the screen that C should start with, instead of the other!)

2. In the "it's always easy to come up with work for something else to do category,", I propose that this screen's functionality be enhanced to operate a bit like spell book perusing: allow the player to cursor through the grid, with a brief explanation of what each entry does.

Angband is pretty good about providing useful information to the player. However, there are a number of arcane or non-obvious sounding terms; and even some seemingly obvious things could benefit from expansion. Of all the places to do that, this screen seems like a good choice.

Cold is a damage type, but what else does cold do? What does res cold protect you from and not protect you from? Where does TrpIm work, and where doesn't it? Etc.

Cursor-over to see explanation would help in this screen in general (I field a lot of questions about "NoTel," "DrExp," Fragl," "FrAct" are. Heck, I've had to ask about a couple of the abbreviations too!) - but this could also be a prime screen to use as one-stop-shopping library to interactively get an explanation beyond just the basics.

Whatay'all think?
  • Ingwe Ingweron
    Veteran
    • Jan 2009

I don't know about all that, but what is with the epileptic seizure inducing flashing picture for your signature/avatar/photo?
    “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
    ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• Nick
      Vanilla maintainer
      • Apr 2007

1. There is a row limit - we try not to go past 24 total rows (and 84 columns) because it is assumed that some people are still constrained by this.

2. IIRC (I can't currently check) looking at runes in the '~' menu shows at least some info about these properties. Your "cursor through" idea is an interesting one (by which I mean lots of code).

Also what Ingwe said
      One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
      In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• m0stlym0nk
        Scout
        • Nov 2013

In regards to row limit - that's what I was assuming. Not a lot of room to play with in the screen: there's 22 rows used for text, with 2 presumably blank rows used for formatting (one at the top, it looks like, and one above the bottom row command UI row).

However, I still really think if there was some way to get a label row in there, the benefit would be wonderful: right now, it's an arcane explosion of obscure grey text and dots.

Add in a "Resistances Abilities Hindrances Modifiers" label line, and it would immediately transform that screen. You don't even have to know what most of the stuff means, but the column headings would instantly communicate a key game fundamental: "this stuff exists, and by virtue of showing this to you, you understand It Matters". That really would be huge.

As to scroll through - yup, that's the one I meant would clearly be a big feature. And, of course, there's not currently any room on the screen for a description line, ta boot! But, it's a neat idea nonetheless.

Comment

• fiery_mews
          Scout
          • Sep 2020

Hi, completely OT but @m0stlym0nk could you please change your avatar to something that isn't a flashing GIF? Flashing lights like that can literally give me migraines, and people with epilepsy can get seizures from them. Your current av could actually kill someone.

Comment

• Selkie
            Swordsman
            • Aug 2020

Originally posted by fiery_mews
            Hi, completely OT but @m0stlym0nk could you please change your avatar to something that isn't a flashing GIF? Flashing lights like that can literally give me migraines, and people with epilepsy can get seizures from them. Your current av could actually kill someone.
            Or to put it in Angband terms, OP's avatar is a lightning branded sythe of slicing dealing 3d6 with a +22 to damage

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎