X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smbhax
    Swordsman
    • Oct 2021

Is "I"/Inspect entirely redundant?

As a new user, I'm baffled by the "I"/Inspect command--it seems to be a less useful version of "i"/inventory:

- Pressing "I" brings up a list of items--the same list brought up by "i"
    - Selecting an item from the "I" list shows details of the item--the same details shown by selecting the item from the "i" list
    - The item details shown via "i" are accompanied by a submenu of additional commands available for the item--this submenu is not available from "I"
    - "Inspect" is available as the top details screen submenu command via "i"--but selecting it simply shows the same details again, this time without the submenu

Is there any actual use for either the "I" command or the "Inspect" details screen submenu option?

If not, should they be removed from the game?

(Actually, one thing "I" does that "i" currently does not is that "i" always lists "- for floor" as a list toggle option, whereas "I" only shows it if there's actually something on the floor--but this seems more like an accidental omission from "i" than a reason for keeping "I.")
    My Angband videos
  • malcontent
    Adept
    • Jul 2019

Somewhat related - I would love have a better way to know how much an object on the floor weighs. Neither "I" nor "i" provides a way to know this (am I wrong???). The only way I know to find out how much an object on the floor weighs is to go through the process of wielding it - when listed as a choice you can see the object's weight.

Comment

• hyperdex
      Scout
      • Nov 2012

Once you have ego level equipment, the 'I' command will show more detailed information about the item. This includes stat bonuses, weapon brands, resistances, curses, and other information.

Comment

• Raerick
        Scout
        • Jan 2019

Originally posted by malcontent
        Somewhat related - I would love have a better way to know how much an object on the floor weighs. Neither "I" nor "i" provides a way to know this (am I wrong???). The only way I know to find out how much an object on the floor weighs is to go through the process of wielding it - when listed as a choice you can see the object's weight.
        I set a keymap (I use j) that uses the i command, switches to the floor with -, to save keystrokes (I use it to select an item and look at its details out of a pile), but basically when you use the inventory command above a floor object you can enter - to view the list of objects beneath you on the floor including weight. Floor objects beneath you are pseudo-inventory items (since you can manipulate them anyway you can inventory items.)

Comment

• smbhax
          Swordsman
          • Oct 2021

Originally posted by hyperdex
          Once you have ego level equipment, the 'I' command will show more detailed information about the item. This includes stat bonuses, weapon brands, resistances, curses, and other information.
          Ah! But then...I wonder why "i" doesn't show that information too. So I guess the new question is: Should "I" be made entirely redundant? ^_^
          My Angband videos

Comment

• hyperdex
            Scout
            • Nov 2012

Originally posted by smbhax
            Ah! But then...I wonder why "i" doesn't show that information too. So I guess the new question is: Should "I" be made entirely redundant? ^_^
            Screen real estate is at a premium. It would not be feasible to display all of this information for everything in your inventory (or equipment). It is nice to have a compact screen that shows everything and a more expansive screen to show details.

For an example of some of what 'I' displays, check out

There's a lot of info there.

Comment

• smbhax
              Swordsman
              • Oct 2021

Originally posted by hyperdex
              Screen real estate is at a premium. It would not be feasible to display all of this information for everything in your inventory (or equipment). It is nice to have a compact screen that shows everything and a more expansive screen to show details.

For an example of some of what 'I' displays, check out

There's a lot of info there.
              I see! And you find it more convenient to access that additional artifact information via the "I" command than via the "I" switch from the inventory list's item details?
              My Angband videos

Comment

• Raerick
                Scout
                • Jan 2019

I believe (but may be wrong) that the reason the I switch exists in the inventory command is because the I command exists. Similarly (q)uaff exists as its own command, but you can also select a potion and quaff it from inventory with q. It is that way for consistency of commands. I never use I independently, but if there are some that do why change it? What would you make I do if you could change it? Just removing it because it is redundant without a clear replacement seems wasteful. It already exists and hurts nothing by existing, and may due to the way all inventory commands interlock in the code be necessary without a rewrite.

Comment

• Nick
                  Vanilla maintainer
                  • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Raerick
                  I believe (but may be wrong) that the reason the I switch exists in the inventory command is because the I command exists.
                  Correct. There is a lot of redundancy in the command system due to people having requested many different ways of accessing it over the years
                  One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                  In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• malcontent
                    Adept
                    • Jul 2019

I set a keymap (I use j) that uses the i command, switches to the floor with -, to save keystrokes (I use it to select an item and look at its details out of a pile), but basically when you use the inventory command above a floor object you can enter - to view the list of objects beneath you on the floor including weight. Floor objects beneath you are pseudo-inventory items (since you can manipulate them anyway you can inventory items.)
                    Yeah, good point, essentially the same as "w" then "-". I wonder why the "I" display does not also show the weight? Not a big deal. Just wondering.

Comment

• Raerick
                      Scout
                      • Jan 2019

Originally posted by Nick
                      Correct. There is a lot of redundancy in the command system due to people having requested many different ways of accessing it over the years

Originally posted by malcontent
                      Yeah, good point, essentially the same as "w" then "-". I wonder why the "I" display does not also show the weight? Not a big deal. Just wondering.
                      This is a good point and something I thought before as well before just settling for my method. The general information of an inspected object should list its weight, especially for equipment. It would be more convenient.

Comment

• smbhax
                        Swordsman
                        • Oct 2021

I believe (but may be wrong) that the reason the I switch exists in the inventory command is because the I command exists. Similarly (q)uaff exists as its own command, but you can also select a potion and quaff it from inventory with q. It is that way for consistency of commands. I never use I independently, but if there are some that do why change it? What would you make I do if you could change it? Just removing it because it is redundant without a clear replacement seems wasteful. It already exists and hurts nothing by existing, and may due to the way all inventory commands interlock in the code be necessary without a rewrite.
                        Reasons for reducing redundant functions include streamlining the code base and increasing comprehensibility for new users.

Quaff, Eat, Zap, etc are useful in a few ways: they show the relevant subset of items, and they reduce required key presses by one. Possibly "I" does the latter, I'm not sure.

(Infra Arcana for instance has most traditional usage commands rolled up into a big action item list accessed with "a," but I definitely find myself missing "q" for potions and "r" for scrolls ("manuscripts") in that game. Also "quaff" is just a fun word to be able to think to yourself. ; )
                        My Angband videos

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍