X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Selkie
    Swordsman
    • Aug 2020

Vampire strike

I'm returning to necromancers. Trying to get my first win with the class and I'm trying things a bit differently, for example, I've just realised how good vampire strike is (plugging the gap between evil, but non-magical monsters like orcs and ogres).

My question is what's the hit die on VS or is it a single amount? It doesn't say in the spellbook like other offensive spells (is this on purpose?). My guess is something like 2d48, just from trial and error.
  • Nick
    Vanilla maintainer
    • Apr 2007

It's twice character level.
    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Selkie
      Swordsman
      • Aug 2020

Thanks Nick. So it's fixed and irresistible? Also, what determines the amount of HP you recover after snacking on their necks?

Comment

• Nick
        Vanilla maintainer
        • Apr 2007

That's the same, as is the amount of food value (where 100 food value is 1% fed).
        One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
        In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Selkie
          Swordsman
          • Aug 2020

Originally posted by Nick
          That's the same, as is the amount of food value (where 100 food value is 1% fed).
          I recover 50hp with a clvl25 necromancer? It doesn't always seem that way in game. I need to test

Comment

• sffp
            Swordsman
            • Apr 2020

My experience has learned me that if you kill a low-HP monster, you don't recover as much - or if a monster has few HP left, you only get what they have left.

Vampire Strike is indeed a great spell - once you can cast it low-enough fail-rate. indeed, most of my kobold necromancers die either with "it breathes" or Vampire Strike fails for the second/third time in a row.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎