X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KesTheHammer
    Apprentice
    • Feb 2021

The story of Frelis the Vampire Rohanknight Archer

Frelis started out as a reasonably attractive Vampire female Rohanknight Archer of a decent build.

During her adventures, she has decided to spent time studying antimagic, and as a result had to, at times, trigger traps to progress, since she had no reliable way to disarm traps. As a result, she has since changed her sex and height after stepping into a couple of traps - and is now a male vampire Rohanknight Archer of a mere 32 inches and 71 pounds.

She had used a Dark sword of the Morgul for a large part of her journey which filled her with the black breath, but thanks to her helm of Hammerhand, she could withstand the worst effects thereof (reducing str, dex, and con).

As a light source, s/he used Orthanc for quite a while, since the aggravating effect of the sword she carried meant that Orthanc's aggravating effect was not such a drawback. Being an antimagic enthusiast, s/he struggled to Activate Orthanc for its Clairvoyance ability, but the ESP was always useful regardless.

At quite a late point in his/her adventures, s/he picked up a Dark Sword of Nothingness with quite significant negative numbers. The usefulness of Orthanc's ESP was however still enough to warrant using it over another light source. Being a Vampire, light resistance was always important and equipment management was a nuisance. Orthanc's sunlight also burned the vampiric flesh.

S/he found the ring of Flare in the depths of Mordor, which gave her the ever-important Fire Immunity as well as the very useful swap position.

Frelis soon managed to start exploring Erebor for its wonderful treasures and just before becoming a very advanced adventurer, decided to go kill Krakens in the wild before being called to fight Maeglin and many Balrogs. This is where Frelis discovered a x5 Longbow of Lothlorien (+26,+23).

Despite many attempts, s/he only managed to create 2 sets of artifact arrows.

After diving through Mordor, looking for a town, Frelis visited Khazad-dum where she picked up a long bow of extra might x7 (+15/+14). This is the bow she is currently using, but she may go back to the previous bow for the higher hitroll.

Having killed the Necromancer, Frelis started hunting for the ring, and killed Glauron in Erebor, Shelob in Cirith Ungol and Feagwarth in the Paths of the Deadm, deciding to leave the Watcher and Ar-Pharazon until Acid Immunity was obtained.

None delivered the one ring, so Frelis was off to Angband. After a couple of levels in, Frelis found an adventurer who lost his sword to several Jabberwocks. One them delivered a beautiful artifact Black Dragon Scale Mail which offered Immunity to Acid, Electricity, Cold and Fire.

Juggling around the equipment, (with light resistance being problematic) resulted in the Dark Sword of Nothingness swapping its minuses for pluses. ( a *remove* curse was needed to remove Orthanc).

Off to the underwater ruins, to face Ar-Pharazon who dropped "a plain gold ring".

Despite having no success in reversing the Dark Sword's condition, Frelis started the climb of Mount Doom - where Sauron awaited him/her. After Sauron successfully summoned several sets of Greater Demons, Frelis finally managed to sidestep Sauron and trap Sauron behind him/her on Mount Doom to await his death on the return trip.

This is the epic story of Frelis the Rohanknight Vampie Archer up to now...

Frelis is, as I'm typing this, fighting through the monsters on Mount Doom to destroy the ring.
    Last edited by KesTheHammer; October 15, 2021, 10:47.
  • Yottle
    Apprentice
    • Dec 2008

If you have ESP and Flare, why not just swap position over to the cracks of doom, drop the Ring, and swap back out? Might not work if you have woken everything up with aggravation.

Comment

• KesTheHammer
      Apprentice
      • Feb 2021

Being a Rohanknight, I woke the majority of the monsters up. There was one room I could skip, because a skull druj blocked the route and did not have line of sight due to a locked door.

I killed Sauron now.

Question is just is there a way to reverse the dark sword of nothingness or is it useless now?

Comment

• Estie
        Veteran
        • Apr 2008

By reversing you mean flipping the attack/damage values to positive ? No, thats not possible.

Comment

• KesTheHammer
          Apprentice
          • Feb 2021

Originally posted by Estie
          By reversing you mean flipping the attack/damage values to positive ? No, thats not possible.
          Back to negative. They are currently positive, but I thought that sufficient time would flip it back to negative but it didn't despite being cursed again (although it could have been cursed by a spell and not by itself)

Comment

• AnonymousHero
            Veteran
            • Jun 2007

Originally posted by KesTheHammer
            Back to negative. They are currently positive, but I thought that sufficient time would flip it back to negative but it didn't despite being cursed again (although it could have been cursed by a spell and not by itself)
            IIRC (it's been a while since I looked at the code)...

To-{hit,damage} bonuses can only flip to positive. You can still find a Dark Sword (0, 0). If you keep finding (+X, +Y), keep those, and go to the Barrow-downs, find a Disenchanter Worm and stand next to it until you get (0,0) on your sword. The problem, of course, is that this isn't quite perfect even with 50 Anti-magic skill. Due to how the game calculates radius, etc. summoners (Q's especially) can still end up destroying you.

Great character story, btw. You haven't specified exactly, so one assumes by "study antimagic" you went with the Lost Sword quests? Did you get to 0.5 skill multiplier?

EDIT: This is the reason I started paying Theme, no lie. In Theme Boomerangs can get Antimagic as well, so you have an open slot and can achieve 100% denial on magic. Then I started looking into Possessors and getting a $GOODBODY and then going through dungeons for Antimagic quests...
            Last edited by AnonymousHero; October 15, 2021, 20:50.

Comment

• Estie
              Veteran
              • Apr 2008

I am surprised - how did you manage to flip the sword in the first place ? Also, which version are you playing ?

Comment

• KesTheHammer
                Apprentice
                • Feb 2021

I am surprised - how did you manage to flip the sword in the first place ? Also, which version are you playing ?

I'm not 100% sure, but it happened close to the time I swapped Orthanc for the Arkenstone. So I imagine a remove curse followed by a *remove curse*

Comment

• Estie
                  Veteran
                  • Apr 2008

Now I am more confused. I am sure I read somewhere that flipping "of Nothingness" was deliberately made impossible. Also, how did you remove curse with a positive skill in antimagic ?

Comment

• Yottle
                    Apprentice
                    • Dec 2008

Now I am more confused. I am sure I read somewhere that flipping "of Nothingness" was deliberately made impossible. Also, how did you remove curse with a positive skill in antimagic ?
                    Scrolls, potions, and activations still work with antimagic. Spells, rods, wands, and staves don't.
                    Apparently it is possible to flip "of Nothingness", at least in this version.

Comment

• KesTheHammer
                      Apprentice
                      • Feb 2021

The "of nothingness" has a can't attack flag, so even with positive bonuses, it does not help

Comment

• KesTheHammer
                        Apprentice
                        • Feb 2021

Scrolls bought from the temple. I also have 2 junk arts of genocide, but I must use them preemptively, because it usually takes several attempts to activate (about 15-25). I suppose it has a 95% failure rate. I typically just genocide zephyr hounds, since they don't carry treasure and are just a pain.

Comment

• Estie
                          Veteran
                          • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Yottle
                          Scrolls, potions, and activations still work with antimagic. Spells, rods, wands, and staves don't.
                          Apparently it is possible to flip "of Nothingness", at least in this version.
                          Right, scrolls work, I forgot.

Now I would like to know what exactly "this" version is. Are all 2.3.5 the same ?

Edit: Ah nm, I skipped the post about no attack. Too bad, I got excited about making a Nothingness fighter.

Comment

• KesTheHammer
                            Apprentice
                            • Feb 2021

Right, scrolls work, I forgot.

Now I would like to know what exactly "this" version is. Are all 2.3.5 the same ?

Edit: Ah nm, I skipped the post about no attack. Too bad, I got excited about making a Nothingness fighter.
                            I play on my android, and I downloaded the apk here:

Angband Variants 2.3.5.7 APK download for Android. Enjoy millions of the latest Android apps, games, music, movies, TV, books, magazines & more. Anytime, anywhere, across your devices.

But you can also flip a "of Morgul" which can have pretty "heavy bonuses" too. I had one [-6] (-26,-29) (-2). I am sad that I got rid of that one though - I did not know it could flip. Now I'm fighting with a (-3,-7) dark sword, which doesn't quite get me to 100%. The aggravate and black breath is tough to swallow though.

Comment

• Estie
                              Veteran
                              • Apr 2008

Thanks. Yeah, of Morgul is not worth the trouble - you can get +30 on normal randarts and egos, let alone sentient weapons.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎