X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • intently
    Scout
    • May 2014

Originally posted by debo
    For high-evasion fighters, a robe of haste is a cheaper alternative at around 25 smithing (21 with danger I think).
    Adding Robe of Speed to catalog.

Questions:

1. Is there any way to pick a bonus (e.g., "Speed") and find what items it can be put on to?

2. "Danger" is the only Curse that appears to reduce the difficulty of an item, is this correct?

Comment

• taptap
      Knight
      • Jan 2013

Originally posted by intently
      Adding Robe of Speed to catalog.

Questions:

1. Is there any way to pick a bonus (e.g., "Speed") and find what items it can be put on to?

2. "Danger" is the only Curse that appears to reduce the difficulty of an item, is this correct?
      1. No. In fact you are lucky that you can browse the smithing menu at all, it is a new feature in 1.2.

2. Yes. Due to all other curses / negative effects being only active when wielded - which led to curse + situational buff combined in one item such as -1 dexterity +4 smithing hammers. (Some curses might be useful to put on an item regardless - say wrath if you have cruel blow and opponents flee too fast.)

Comment

• bron
        Knight
        • May 2008

post their favorite recipes
        I am quite fond of a Longbow of Nargothrond (15 smithing). Very handy against Balrogs. Even better of course is a Longbow of Nargothrond (+0,2d6) (25 smithing).

My personal favorite "sneaky" item is a Shadow Cloak [+5] <+0> (20 smithing, armorsmith, artistry, artifice). By reducing the stealth bonus to zero, it makes the smithing cost of the [+5] evasion reasonable. You can add in "light" for 10 more (30 smithing total). Also nice is a Round Shield of Deflection (+2,1d3) (12 smithing), or (+3,1d3) (19 smithing). [I'm currently on a high-evasion kick.]

Mithril items are very good. I'll particularly mention Mithril Gauntlets of Strength [0,1d1], 16 smithing, or [+1,1d1] for 22 smithing.

I'm also partial to Dwarf Mask of True Sight (22 smithing).

Comment

• debo
          Veteran
          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by taptap
          1. No. In fact you are lucky that you can browse the smithing menu at all, it is a new feature in 1.2.

2. Yes. Due to all other curses / negative effects being only active when wielded - which led to curse + situational buff combined in one item such as -1 dexterity +4 smithing hammers. (Some curses might be useful to put on an item regardless - say wrath if you have cruel blow and opponents flee too fast.)
          This was really a downer. I miss the days of getting caught by Thuringwethil at your forge with -4 dex, no defenses, and needing to survive 5 rounds of equipment swapping before you can even hit her
          Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• intently
            Scout
            • May 2014

Thanks taptap.

Originally posted by bron
            I am quite fond of ...
            Added, thanks!

Comment

• intently
              Scout
              • May 2014

Originally posted by wobbly
              A trick for affording the whole damn smithing tree(except artistry) on a Feanor smith:

Hammer with +1 smithing & armoursmith (12pts, 600xp)
              Gloves with Jeweler & Masterpiece (17pts, 1000xp)

or coming at it from the armoursmith order:

Gloves with Weaponsmith & Jeweler (15pts, 1000xp)
              Hammer with +2 smithing & masterpiece(20pts, 700xp)

It's a decent option if your trying for boots of perma-haste (36pts) which virtually requires masterpiece.
              I tried a few times, but I can't find any way to afford to build either the artifact hammer or gloves at the first or second forge. Am I doing it wrong?

Comment

• taptap
                Knight
                • Jan 2013

I tried a few times, but I can't find any way to afford to build either the artifact hammer or gloves at the first or second forge. Am I doing it wrong?
                No. They were probably not meant as first forge items.

Comment

• wobbly
                  Prophet
                  • May 2012

Yep, as taptap said they're not intended as 1st forge items. Sorry if that was a little confusing. In my experience you wont get artifice on an elf by the 2nd forge without diving fairly aggressively. I take either disguise, song of elbereth or jeweller (for a horn of terror) when I try for 2nd forge artifice. If your going the armoursmith route you wont even need the gloves till you've filled your armour slots anyway.

@debo: I hadn't thought about putting speed on robes, guess I'm a little too attached to high protection characters. I was 1 forge short of getting haste on a mithril corset on a run a while a go & it's stuck in my head that it's doable. Lost a few characters trying to repeat & improve on that attempt.

A couple for a quirky build (high protection stealth):
                  A 17 pd Mail Corset (7pts, Armoursmith) - Equivelent to a standard Mail corset with +1 stealth
                  A 7.5 pd plain Mithril Corset (13pts, Armoursmith)
                  Last edited by wobbly; May 9, 2014, 09:50.

Comment

• taptap
                    Knight
                    • Jan 2013

Crown of command should be in the list as well. It is a viable quite powerful option for certain builds early on.

Comment

• intently
                      Scout
                      • May 2014

A couple for a quirky build (high protection stealth):
                      A 17 pd Mail Corset (7pts, Armoursmith) - Equivelent to a standard Mail corset with +1 stealth
                      A 7.5 pd plain Mithril Corset (13pts, Armoursmith)
                      I added the 17lbs version, but could only get to 13.5lbs minimum, not 7.5.

Added Crown of Command

Comment

• wobbly
                        Prophet
                        • May 2012

I added the 17lbs version, but could only get to 13.5lbs minimum, not 7.5.

Added Crown of Command
                        That's because your looking at a mail corslet instead of a mithril corslet

Addition: I see little on that list for stealth builds, so I'll add the following 3 armoursmith/enchantment - all 9pt-ers (well the shield is actually 8)

4 pd Round Shield of Deflection [+1, 1d3]
                        1.5 pd cloak of stealth [+1] <+1>
                        4.5 pd leather of protection [-1,1d5]

You can swap a round shield of protection or shave 0.5 pd of the shield at 10 smithing if you want the total under 10 pds. I don't bother, as I'm going to add a helm & boots in anyway.
                        Last edited by wobbly; May 9, 2014, 16:00.

Comment

• intently
                          Scout
                          • May 2014

That's because your looking at a mail corslet instead of a mithril corslet
                          D'oh!

Addition: I see little on that list for stealth builds, so I'll add the following 3 armoursmith/enchantment - all 9pt-ers (well the shield is actually 8)

4 pd Round Shield of Deflection [+1, 1d3]
                          1.5 pd cloak of stealth [+1] <+1>
                          4.5 pd leather of protection [-1,1d5]

You can swap a round shield of protection or shave 0.5 pd of the shield at 10 smithing if you want the total under 10 pds. I don't bother, as I'm going to add a helm & boots in anyway.
                          I added these. Is it really worthwhile to cut weight rather than spend the extra difficulty improving evasion or protection?

Comment

• wobbly
                            Prophet
                            • May 2012

Not really, trouble is with enchantment you wont get an extra pt of evasion on the shield or stealth on the cloak till you hit 12 pts. With artistry, yeah get what bonuses you can. Enchantment you kind of have to live with what you can afford.

Comment

• intently
                              Scout
                              • May 2014

Not really, trouble is with enchantment you wont get an extra pt of evasion on the shield or stealth on the cloak till you hit 12 pts. With artistry, yeah get what bonuses you can. Enchantment you kind of have to live with what you can afford.
                              Argh, that's complexy. Didn't realize that Enchant can double-upgrade evasion whereas Artistry can only single-upgrade, but can affect evasion and damage reduction.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎