Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • clouded
    Swordsman
    • Jun 2012

Well. I was going to suggest that and now I just feel embarrassed.

Comment

• taptap
      Knight
      • Jan 2013

I find artifactless, ironman really unappealing. I like no sharpness (maybe with the exception of the crown) as a condition, I like hador, but having a nice starter kit would be appreciated (a choice of weapons, some basic armour).

(Dethroning the first place in the ladder looks impossible without some really lucky finds/presents and even then. I mean less than 10k turns to the throne room, kill and back? I need 5000 turns to 500ft when I am fast. But you need to be at about 900ft to beat wildkhaine.)

Comment

• Scatha
        Swordsman
        • Jan 2012

We can definitely provide a character with some starting equipment, if that's wanted.

For skill restrictions I'd be interested in seeing how people could get along with, say, no points in Archery, Evasion, or Stealth.

Comment

• debo
          Veteran
          • Oct 2011

Scatha, you forgot to cackle maniacally at the end of your statement there.
          Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
            Veteran
            • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Scatha
            We can definitely provide a character with some starting equipment, if that's wanted.

For skill restrictions I'd be interested in seeing how people could get along with, say, no points in Archery, Evasion, or Stealth.
            Zero points on Evasion is *very* hard, especially at endgame. No Archery or Stealth is certainly doable. Same for Perception, Song, Smithing, and Will.

(I have tried the 2-skill tree only restriction [Melee/Evasion] with my character, Prologue, who went as far as 800ft as my best attempt, but got roughhoused *a lot* and nearly died from Tevildo's guard. After that beating, I had to bail out of the challenge after reaching 800ft, moved back a couple of levels to about 650ft, and add points and abilities from additional skill trees. Eventually, this one took Morgoth down without any source of Sharpness.)
            Last edited by HugoVirtuoso; June 22, 2013, 18:09.
            My best try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

As of February 18th, 2022, my YouTube username is MidgardVirtuoso

Comment

• HallucinationMushroom
              Knight
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Scatha

This is an awesome idea, but take off the Human element! Give us a hefty Noldor. This would be so awesome. I've tried a few dozen no evasion warriors, who actively attempt to kill everything. They don't live very long... But, it's pretty frikkin' fun.
              You are on something strange

Comment

• taptap
                Knight
                • Jan 2013

0 points archery isn't a challenge. (My last winner never touched a bow throughout the whole game but kept some throwing weapons into midgame and then dropped them as well.) 0 points in evasion can only work with a careful archer or a careful assassin or a careful pacifist imo and sounds incredibly hard. 0 points evasion and 0 points stealth is probably impossible.

Comment

• HallucinationMushroom
                  Knight
                  • Apr 2007

At the very end, when melee ability and damage output are high, there is little need to worry about protection or evasion.

If there was just a way to turn monsters into fine paste reliably in 1 attack round at the start, then you could do it. But how? Even focusing all points into melee, waiting for focused attack and singing slaying... things just don't die fast enough. But, if there was something that could use some exploring, it would be turning things to fine paste in the early game incredibly quickly.
                  You are on something strange

Comment

• WildKhaine
                    Scout
                    • Oct 2012

No evasion idea is interesting. Just been running some characters through the meat grinder trying it out. Using an Edain Hador with all 3 challenges and no evasion. Can't seem to get any of them past about 250'-300' yet. Really squishy for my playstyle Loads of fun though.

Comment

• bron
                      Knight
                      • May 2008

I admit I'm not wild about "no evasion", but I think that's mostly because I really like Sprinting and Flanking. Competition options that I personally like are: (1) A Naugrim, but start with a (normal weight) mithril corslet. (2) A Noldor Fingolfin, but require no Songs and no Smithing. And maybe no-artifacts thrown in for good measure.

[Historically I'm not real good at competitions because I play too slow, and "fewest turns" is usually part of the scoring criteria. But I admit I'll probably play in whatever sort of Sil competition there may be.]

Comment

• bron
                        Knight
                        • May 2008

Another interesting (to me anyway) option might be Halucination Mushroom's "45,000xp" challenge.

Comment

• Philip
                          Knight
                          • Jul 2009

Perhaps a 45000xp challenge with the points semi-allocated could be interesting. Giving you a number of abilities and giving you the opportunity to buy some favourites, but still limiting character power.

Comment

• Nick
                            Vanilla maintainer
                            • Apr 2007

Well, I've done a Quickband comp for now, so you guys have a week or two to get yourselves organised.
                            One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                            In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• taptap
                              Knight
                              • Jan 2013

Just to make a concrete proposal:

House of Hador, 3/2/3/1 stats, polearm mastery and simple glaive + great spear + some spears in the starting equipment + commitment to use polearms as main weapon (winner is who kills most great dragons (incl. dragon uniques - well this can't be seen from the char dump, so make it the highest xp haul)

Comment

• taptap
                                Knight
                                • Jan 2013

Originally posted by WildKhaine
                                No evasion idea is interesting. Just been running some characters through the meat grinder trying it out. Using an Edain Hador with all 3 challenges and no evasion. Can't seem to get any of them past about 250'-300' yet. Really squishy for my playstyle Loads of fun though.
                                Hehe, I did it (http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=14774), but I guess people weren't talking about singers when saying no evasion.

Can we revive this thread? I would like to see one, two, many competitions, don't actually mind what kind of competition.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎