Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bron
    Knight
    • May 2008

Recently, I've been using a number of Sprinting/Flanking/Controlled-Retreat characters. This style of fighting needs space run in, and rooms with more than one entrance/exit. I would not object to making the deep levels the same size as the current "mid-sized" levels, but I would not want to see them reduced to the small early-level size.

Comment

• half
      Knight
      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Scatha
      In any case the idea would be to experiment with these parameters a bit and have a look at (and a play with) the results. This could be worth doing in case there are some gains available cheaply. Of course if it seemed to make gameplay worse overall we'd not follow through.
      As Scatha said, we are definitely considering changes to level size. We're also considering the idea to make, say, exactly one up stair, one down stair, one up shaft and one down shaft on each level. We would do all of these changes at once (though might tweak some later in response to player feedback). We might also consider a few other dungeon changes, such as changing how monsters use stairs and making stairs more like walls than like floors (i.e. they are embedded in the walls and you bump into them to use them). A few such changes might make for a nice 0.0.1 release even without anything else. Global changes like this change all games in a way that adding a new ability or changing an artefact or special type do not, so they are potentially a very good use of development time.

I like the way that the levels currently get bigger, darker, and full of more fantastical creatures the deeper you go. As you will know, there are currently three sizes of level (3x3, 4x4, 5x5), and the larger ones are more likely to be generated the deeper you go. I think the largest is the size of a regular Angband level. Obviously it could be possible to do a progression that starts smaller and ends smaller than the current progression. They also don't have to be multiples of the 'panel size' of 11x33 grids. We could also tweak the room size down further, the monster density etc.

I like the current 'epic' feel of the deepest levels, especially as it feels different to the earlier game. However maybe they would still feel like this in comparison if all levels were smaller. I also think that the ability to use a large main window has made all levels feel smaller. There is something about having to scroll around that makes things feel more out of control.

Comment

• T-Mick
        Adept
        • Mar 2012

Found a bug with a torch I got. It adds 17 melee and protection. 1.1.1, but I'm not certain it's the latest 1.1.1.

EDIT: This was on the original version of 1.1.1, not the later fixed one.
        Last edited by T-Mick; February 16, 2013, 23:52.

Comment

• debo
          Veteran
          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by T-Mick
          Found a bug with a torch I got. It adds 17 melee and protection. 1.1.1, but I'm not certain it's the latest 1.1.1.
          Must have fell through a dimensional portal from Halls of Mist
          Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• Psi
            Knight
            • Apr 2007

I may be wrong, but it didn't feel like my rapid attacks were administered to the monster I aimed at (V in this case) whilst I was raging. It was only once rage had worn off that I was able to damage him sufficiently. Bug?

Comment

• Patashu
              Knight
              • Jan 2008

Wow! I want that torch :O
              My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
                Veteran
                • Jan 2012

Depends on when you downloaded the buggy 1.1.1...Was it on Jan 3rd? If you downloaded this in February, that 'torch bug' has been fixed, AFAIK.
                My best try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

As of February 18th, 2022, my YouTube username is MidgardVirtuoso

Comment

• WaveMotion
                  Apprentice
                  • Apr 2012

Don't know if you have heard already, but the in-game description for Polearm Mastery still mentions tridents.

Comment

• taptap
                    Knight
                    • Jan 2013

Is there any chance to get a Sil subforum? (I am quite lost here as Sil threads are spread all over the place and Sil is the only game of the family I play.)

Comment

• Psi
                      Knight
                      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by taptap
                      Is there any chance to get a Sil subforum? (I am quite lost here as Sil threads are spread all over the place and Sil is the only game of the family I play.)
                      I think it would be a good idea if pav is happy with it. The giant generic Sil threads we often have are a little cumbersome to search. I suspect there is enough Sil activity to justify having one.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎