X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HallucinationMushroom
    Knight
    • Apr 2007

Sil throne room and escape? videos

Hi gang. This will be a permanent placeholder for the video of my certain demise on the ascent. But, for the time being, this was how I tackled the throne room.

Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.

This is an all three challenges character (disc. stairs/ironman stair/no artys)
    An artistry start, but with heavy armor use and slightly more protection.

I'm glad I didn't video the entire thing, because it was boring. Clearing each floor isn't terribly difficult and I get enough xp and gear and items to make each next floor very approachable. If you are trying ironman, just make sure your perception doesn't get neglected so you miss the trap floors. If I die in 10 steps on the next video, well, at least the throne room video might amuse.
    You are on something strange
  • HallucinationMushroom
    Knight
    • Apr 2007

The ascent is here. Youtube said my video was too long, and perhaps I changed my recording settings because this video isn't nearly as sharp. I'm new to recording, so I'll just chalk it up to my noobness.

Part2
    This is "Challenge3part2" by doovster on Vimeo, the home for high quality videos and the people who love them.

It's about 40 minutes.

I went ahead and put part1 on vimeo as well.
    Part1
    The throne room part of my all three challenges character. Ironman stairs, disconnected stairs and no artifacts. The character build was essentially another artistry…

That wraps up the videos for this character. They were fun to make. I might try to do a character from start to finish at some point... maybe my all three challenges plus no abilities challenge. It might be doable for my builds now that trance behaves differently and the ego swords usually slay two things, which would help with light and inventory problems.

Comment

• debo
      Veteran
      • Oct 2011

FYI all you have to do in order to upload videos of arbitrary length to YouTube is verify your account. IIRC this just involves letting them text you and then typing in a code into webform somewhere.

Just in case you were wondering

I'm going to watch these during lunch!
      Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• HallucinationMushroom
        Knight
        • Apr 2007

Ah, thanks Debo! However, I don't have a cell. Can you believe it?! I begrudgingly put a few minutes on a pay-as-you-go-phone for emergencies if I'm travelling long distances and leave it turned off. The $15 I spent on minutes umpteen years ago would still be good if they didn't have arbitrary expiration dates.

Comment

• fizzix
          Prophet
          • Aug 2009

You might be able to convince a friend to let you use theirs, provided they trust that you won't start uploading leaked movies and get them sued. (As far as I can tell, that's the reason for requiring the cell phone)

Otherwise, you're stuck to the 15 minute limit.

Comment

• debo
            Veteran
            • Oct 2011

Haha the throne room video was awesome! I love how you didn't even pay attention to what you were fighting. Did you seriously cuisinart Gorthaur without even noticing?!

What happens if any of the big dragons or Ungoliant show up to the party?
            Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• HallucinationMushroom
              Knight
              • Apr 2007

Yep! I focus mainly on my hitpoints and rarely even read the messages that are on top of the screen. I'm usually really careful on the ascent, but the throne room is for squinting, killing, and praying... relying on the adage that what you don't know can't hurt you.

I really should have taken crowd control... that approach really works best when you have a weapon that is nearer to 10 lbs, so you knock back everything.

Ungoliant did indeed polish off one of my throne room characters that did this. I don't often see the big dragons walk up... in fact, I don't recall ever seeing a dragon, but my memory is suspect. It is usually a bajillion big trolls, some vampires, the odd super-annoying green H, and Thuringwethil/Gorthaur being the two most common uniques I see. They don't really give me much problems... but if Glaurung had shown up... ick. Trance would = death, and fire breath, even double resisted, would hurt.

Comment

• clouded
                Swordsman
                • Jun 2012

Nice, doing the throne room like that (and with wrath too) is quite stylish. For warriors I don't have a definite strategy, most often I prefer the corridors to the NW, though after Morgoth entombed me over there with him, I've tried staying at the stairs and going to the NE too.

The dragons tend to be in spots you won't see them unless you actually venture far into the map, so yeah you tend to not have to deal with them thankfully.

The challenges are pretty fun. Makes the game feel quite different, to me at least.

Comment

• getter77
                  Adept
                  • Dec 2009

That was a fine show of ascending right there----nicely done!

Comment

• half
                    Knight
                    • Jan 2009

Great work HM! You might have had less trouble than last time, but there were some tense moments there: I'm glad the game is creating them.

A few comments:

* We never explicitly fixed the bug of Morgoth sometimes not being in the throne room -- we couldn't replicate it. So saving a copy still sounds sensible.

* Your becoming afraid while enraged was a bug -- that should make you immune to fear.

* Durations for rage, potion of dexterity, quickness etc. have a random duration (some number of d4 turns). If you take one while under the influence of a previous one, a new duration is rolled and you get that instead if it is greater than the old one, so it can never hurt, but it is not as useful as adding together.

* I apologise for Morgoth's bad door-opening skills. I hadn't known how bad that could be and will have to do something about that!

* You probably should have been a bit more afraid of fire attacks which could burn your staff of revelations. I'd have also put all the recharging charges into the staff of revelations straight away, since you had two staves whose destruction could have annoyed you, and could reduce this to one. It would be a different story if it were two staves of revelations, in which case I'd probably have split the charges between them and kept both.

Anyway, great work, and a nice escape. I'll think about the win-screen picture too -- the current one is just a left-over from Angband.

Comment

• HallucinationMushroom
                      Knight
                      • Apr 2007

Ah, thanks for the info! When I wrapped up the video I felt like it was all smooth sailing, but when I watched the video I realized I had quite a few staring at the screen moments... and good call about the fire attacks. The RNG should have at least burned one of those good staves!

I realize that I never really describe Sil, or my feelings toward it in any of my videos. It's probably just human nature, or at least my human nature, to point out things that I think are flawed or to throw out negative comments instead of positive ones. So, apologies if I sound whiny about anything. Judging by the some odd 500 hours I've spent playing Sil I am completely consumed by it. It's a really great game.

Comment

• fizzix
                        Prophet
                        • Aug 2009

Originally posted by HallucinationMushroom
                        I realize that I never really describe Sil, or my feelings toward it in any of my videos. It's probably just human nature, or at least my human nature, to point out things that I think are flawed or to throw out negative comments instead of positive ones. So, apologies if I sound whiny about anything. Judging by the some odd 500 hours I've spent playing Sil I am completely consumed by it. It's a really great game.
                        I enjoyed the commentary and I didn't think you were overly negative at all. I'm waiting for you to kill Morgoth with a shovel though.

Comment

• Nick
                          Vanilla maintainer
                          • Apr 2007

That was excellent, especially for a Sil novice like me.

I'm thinking maybe I should do a series: Angband Played Badly, and it would just be me dying horribly before level 10 in a whole bunch of variants.
                          One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                          In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Patashu
                            Knight
                            • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Nick
                            That was excellent, especially for a Sil novice like me.

I'm thinking maybe I should do a series: Angband Played Badly, and it would just be me dying horribly before level 10 in a whole bunch of variants.
                            Solution: Angband version that has less than 10 levels of dungeon call it Quickerband
                            My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu

Comment

• Psi
                              Knight
                              • Apr 2007

Just watched the throne room video. That was awesome.

I usually carefully clear the whole place out, leaving V and I for the final encounter. You just chug, rage and go crazy. Love it.

My quickest throne room experience was also ironman. I got instakilled by Morgoth's first blow...

I haven't watched the ascent yet, but the end of the throne room vid also surprised me. I assumed that on taking the stairs, you'd get barged out of the way by a fuming V in hot pursuit. However you took a turn or two breaking the curse and unequipping your fury weapon before stopping the vid. I'm intrigued now as to where and when Morgoth shows up! I feel like a noob...

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎