X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • half
    Knight
    • Jan 2009

Originally posted by mtadd
    Before a Dagger of Accompaniment is identified, when first wielding, it asks if you wish to wield it in the off-hand.

Secondly, if you have a Dagger of Accompaniment wielded, you can replace it with another weapon
    Thanks, I've fixed both of these for the next version.

Comment

• jujuben
      Apprentice
      • Jan 2012

Minor mac control bug - if I shift focus away from Sil, and then back to it, sometimes the arrow keys stop working. Movement by numbers, and the rest of the keyboard works fine, but no arrow keys.

It's done this erratically, but on multiple saves, on both 1.0 and 1.01. This is on a late 2009 Macbook Pro, running a regularly updated OS 10.6.8. I have not noticed this bug in any of other variants I play (Vanilla, V4, npp, FA, Quick).

Also thanks for a great game - since Sil came out, it's been taking the vast majority of my *band time. The theme and UI are beautifully done, and the difficulty curve is just about perfect - I lose a lot of heros to stupid mistakes that would be minor in any other variant, but with patience and care and just a bit of luck, things work out, and when they do, there's a genuine feeling of accomplishment that's rare in games these days.
      A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.
      --The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates

Comment

• Fendell Orcbane
        Swordsman
        • Apr 2010

My character has a Helm of true sight, but I still can't see invisible monsters, is that a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Comment

• Satyr
          Scout
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Fendell Orcbane
          My character has a Helm of true sight, but I still can't see invisible monsters, is that a bug or am I doing something wrong?
          There are a number of monsters that are not invisible, but reduce light around them (most of them named "shadow xy", e.g. shadow molds), which can't be seen by True Sight but need a stronger light to be "uncloaked", maybe you met one of them?

Comment

• half
            Knight
            • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Fendell Orcbane
            In addition to what Satyr said, the monsters that are 'invisible' rather than dark are actually just very hard to see in Sil. You get a perception check to try to see them each turn (so they sometimes flicker in and out). The ability to 'see invisible' gives you +10 to this roll, so you still have benefit from increasing perception. This is the same for many of the granted abilities in Sil, including:

See invisible
            Resist confusion
            Resist fear
            Resist blindness
            Resist hallucination
            Resist stunning
            Free action
            Sustain *

possibly others, but I couldn't find them in my search

Finally, the symbol for Shadows when you can see them is a black 'W' so they are not very visible to the player even when you spot them (they look like an unknown square).

Comment

• Psi
              Knight
              • Apr 2007

Must admit I am loving the game - seems very nicely balanced so far. However when reaching 450 I seem to get overwhelmed by Wargs. Any particular advice for beating them, or is it just a case of more melee and more evasion?

Last game I had the Spear of Boldog so thought that would be the best approach, however my health deteriorated and with no healing I couldn't get away from them. I thought too late that they may have been susceptible to Elbereth.

One bug - attempting to 'u'se a chest on the floor (-) tells you that you need to put it down first!

I've also had a few crashes in Win XP - usually at the end of char creation, but once a few turns into the game.

Comment

• ekolis
                Knight
                • Apr 2007

I know this is kind of a stupid question, and changing things in the manner I'm suggesting would only make the game harder, and it's hard enough already, but why does protection from armor pieces stack? Unless you're being hit by a giant with a huge hammer that would kill you in one hit anyway, you're probably not going to take a hit on your head, torso, and feet simultaneously from the same attack! I know stacking armor is sort of an RPG trope, but somehow it seems worse here because it's not just an AC but actual armor dice...
                You read the scroll labeled NOBIMUS UPSCOTI...
                You are surrounded by a stasis field!
                The tengu tries to teleport, but fails!

Comment

• Narvius
                  Knight
                  • Dec 2007

I guess the only argument against that is [gameplay >>> realism], which is likely what half would use here.
                  If you can convincingly pretend you're crazy, you probably are.

Comment

• half
                    Knight
                    • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Narvius
                    I guess the only argument against that is [gameplay >>> realism], which is likely what half would use here.
                    That is pretty much right. It is an abstraction. The more simulationist way to do it would be to have armour for different body parts, and rules about which body part you hit, then subtract the protection for that part's armour. The problem with this is that it is not compatible with hitpoints. Either people can die from a hit to the hand (let us suppose that is the only weak spot) or you need rules for losing a hand etc.

The most natural way to do it with a protection system would be to ignore the separation of armour into different slots and just say mail, leather, robes or something like that to encompass the whole ensemble. However, I like the different slots approach of roguelikes (and many CRPGs but interestingly not pen and paper ones).

Two more points: I don't think that having protection rather than just a nebulous defence value makes much difference here. Also, there are more abstract things than this in Sil!

Comment

• Scatha
                      Swordsman
                      • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Psi
                      Must admit I am loving the game - seems very nicely balanced so far. However when reaching 450 I seem to get overwhelmed by Wargs. Any particular advice for beating them, or is it just a case of more melee and more evasion?

Last game I had the Spear of Boldog so thought that would be the best approach, however my health deteriorated and with no healing I couldn't get away from them. I thought too late that they may have been susceptible to Elbereth.
                      Wargs are noticeably nasty for their depth. They are intelligent, so yes, Elbereth will work (how quickly/reliably may depend on your Song), but there are other ways to deal with them. I'll offer some thoughts, but other people are getting pretty good at the game these days, so perhaps one of them will share some strategies I haven't thought of.

Melee and Evasion will as you say always help, but more key may be to avoid fighting them in such a way that you can get mobbed. Leave yourself a retreat, and be prepared to use the stairs if need be. Running away from them is harder than from orcs, because they move quickly, but it is possible (and sprinting will make it easier).

In terms of actually fighting them, I think that the Spear of Boldog, or another weapon of wolf-slaying (perhaps not a battle-axe or something with a large to-hit penalty) is a good choice. Using a weapon with Wolf-slaying will also make them more likely to run away. They bite harder than earlier wolves, but it is possible (perhaps with luck/forging) to have enough armour by this point to soak up almost everything they're dealing.

Originally posted by ekolis
                      I know this is kind of a stupid question, and changing things in the manner I'm suggesting would only make the game harder, and it's hard enough already, but why does protection from armor pieces stack? Unless you're being hit by a giant with a huge hammer that would kill you in one hit anyway, you're probably not going to take a hit on your head, torso, and feet simultaneously from the same attack! I know stacking armor is sort of an RPG trope, but somehow it seems worse here because it's not just an AC but actual armor dice...
                      You're right that a more "simulationist" system would model things in such detail. Here, it's a question of the level of abstraction. RPGs in which armour makes you harder to hit are abstracting much further than Sil, perhaps to the point where, because you're used to it, you don't notice it as an abstraction.

The idea, of course, is that the protection rating on your [-1,1d2] helmet represents the average amount of damage that the helmet will soak up from a blow. Of course that average will be distributed so that against most blows it does nothing, whereas when hit on the head it helps a lot more than [1d2]'s worth. Now you could have a system with different protection values for each location, and a randomised chance of hitting each location. Such systems exist, and we could have gone with something similar for Sil. However, the gameplay it would create would actually be very similar to the current one (a little different in that it would particularly encourage you to cover every slot), while adding a lot of complexity.

Sil already has a lot of complexity which (we hope!) leads to interesting decisions or cool moments. We therefore want to limit adding in extra complexity in cases where it doesn't add these things to the game, and I think that this is one of those.

Edit: I crossed with half here, so there's some overlap in the content, but I think there are enough different points to leave this!

Comment

• Psi
                        Knight
                        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Scatha
                        Melee and Evasion will as you say always help, but more key may be to avoid fighting them in such a way that you can get mobbed. Leave yourself a retreat, and be prepared to use the stairs if need be. Running away from them is harder than from orcs, because they move quickly, but it is possible (and sprinting will make it easier).

In terms of actually fighting them, I think that the Spear of Boldog, or another weapon of wolf-slaying (perhaps not a battle-axe or something with a large to-hit penalty) is a good choice. Using a weapon with Wolf-slaying will also make them more likely to run away. They bite harder than earlier wolves, but it is possible (perhaps with luck/forging) to have enough armour by this point to soak up almost everything they're dealing.
                        Thanks for the advice. My problem seems to be that something always sneaks in the other end of the corridor I am fighting in, blocking my retreat. Maybe better armour is the key - I'd love to forge something, but forges seem pretty thin on the ground (that or I just don't find them before leaving a level!).

Comment

• debo
                          Veteran
                          • Oct 2011

I'm hardly good at Sil, but I have found one thing that helps with the corridor-trap problem -- I close most doors behind me (depending on situation). Even if the doorway is in darkness, you can "see" it open on the map, which is weird but helpful.

Non-intelligent/smashing monsters won't get through the door, and even if they do, you'll have a warning that they're coming a few turns before they appear behind you, which can make all the difference. Being surrounded in Sil is _really_ bad, as you've probably already learned
                          Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• half
                            Knight
                            • Jan 2009

Originally posted by debo
                            I'm hardly good at Sil, but I have found one thing that helps with the corridor-trap problem -- I close most doors behind me (depending on situation). Even if the doorway is in darkness, you can "see" it open on the map, which is weird but helpful.
                            Closing doors behind you is indeed sensible. This particular approach of seeing the doors open when not in line of sight is something I'd like to change, but not at the top of the list, so it may disappear at some point. I think it still works like this in V too, as it does require some changes to the fundamentals of how the map is represented: probably adding a second map for how you remember the dungeon to be, as well as the first map for how the dungeon is.

Even without this trick though, it is still a good technique: it limits the flow of noise, it stops creatures like the unintelligent wolves and spiders and serpents, it also prints a message on the screen if something bashes open a nearby door.

I'd also recommend fighting near the back end of a corridor, so if something comes into the room, you can see it and choose whether to get stuck in the corridor or whether to try to get around it. This is better if an individual arrives from behind, but maybe worse if it is a group. Also, this makes it more likely for the passing monsters to notice you, so is less good if you are quite stealthy.

Being cornered really is bad though. Treat Abilities and items that help avoid it or break out of it as *very* valuable. There are actually quite a few that help!

Comment

• Derakon
                              Prophet
                              • Dec 2009

Originally posted by half
                              Closing doors behind you is indeed sensible. This particular approach of seeing the doors open when not in line of sight is something I'd like to change, but not at the top of the list, so it may disappear at some point. I think it still works like this in V too, as it does require some changes to the fundamentals of how the map is represented: probably adding a second map for how you remember the dungeon to be, as well as the first map for how the dungeon is.
                              Yeah, this happens in Vanilla too. Tiles can either be known or unknown, and there's no provision for updating them that doesn't inform the player of those updates if they are known. However, the contents of a tile (that is, monsters and items) can be unknown even if the tile is known. Though IIRC if you detect items in a vault, for example, and a poltergeist wanders around picking up those items, you'll see them disappear.

Comment

• EpicMan
                                Swordsman
                                • Dec 2009

A way to solve this is to add a pair of variables to the cell struct (if there is one) for the displayed character and color. This value is what the screen would draw, cells in FOV would be checked for updates (or just re-set to what they should be) and cells out of FOV would appear the same, even if something in them changed.

You already do this for monsters (an unseen but explored cell does not change if a monster enters or leaves it) so it is not true that what you see on the screen outside of FOV is absolutely correct.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎