• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Magnate
    Angband Devteam member
    • May 2007

OSX build working again

Hi all,

Thanks to myshkin, the OSX (Carbon) build is playable again, with UTF8 support.

The 3.4-dev build is at http://buildbot.rephial.org/builds/m...4-g50c3f4b.dmg.

The v4 build is at http://buildbot.rephial.org/v4-build...7-g57c5ab1.dmg.

Please report all OSX glitches in this thread for the time being, so we can sift through them and see which are related to UTF8 and which aren't.
    "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles
  • bio_hazard
    Knight
    • Dec 2008

Cool. Thanks to both of you.

Dumb question, if I install v4, will it interfere with my 3.3 installation? Anything I need to watch out for? (OSX 10.6)

Comment

• Derakon
      Prophet
      • Dec 2009

Awesome, thanks Myshkin!

Comment

• Therem Harth
        Knight
        • Jan 2008

Somewhat OT... How much longer is the Carbon API going to be a viable option for OSX?

Comment

• myshkin
          Angband Devteam member
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Magnate
          Please report all OSX glitches in this thread for the time being, so we can sift through them and see which are related to UTF8 and which aren't.
          Known bugs:
          • Opening a visuals editor (or any other character picker, probably) crashes the game.
          • Using the Graphics menu to switch from any tile-based graphics mode to ASCII crashes the game.
          • The game occasionally draws stray pixels where it shouldn't.

Comment

• myshkin
            Angband Devteam member
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by bio_hazard
            Dumb question, if I install v4, will it interfere with my 3.3 installation? Anything I need to watch out for? (OSX 10.6)
            I certainly wouldn't open savefiles from one version with another; there are no guards against doing so other than your own care. Beyond that, they will look at the same directory for preference files, but that shouldn't cause many problems.

Comment

• Nick
              Vanilla maintainer
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by myshkin
              I certainly wouldn't open savefiles from one version with another; there are no guards against doing so other than your own care. Beyond that, they will look at the same directory for preference files, but that shouldn't cause many problems.
              v4 will have a different name and hence Library file path, though, won't it?
              One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
              In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• myshkin
                Angband Devteam member
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Nick
                v4 will have a different name and hence Library file path, though, won't it?
                Hmm. At present, it doesn't, though arguably it should. Thoughts?

Comment

• Nick
                  Vanilla maintainer
                  • Apr 2007

Originally posted by myshkin
                  Hmm. At present, it doesn't, though arguably it should. Thoughts?
                  I would think it should - but don't trust me.
                  One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                  In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Magnate
                    Angband Devteam member
                    • May 2007

Originally posted by Nick
                    I would think it should - but don't trust me.
                    I think it probably should too. I've been playing in git, which lulls you into a false sense of security (because when you switch branches, all the right edit files are in place). But yes I think it ought to use ~/.angband/Angbandv4 for save and user files, and use its own lib path. On Linux this would be /usr/local/angbandv4 or /usr/share/angbandv4 (and etc/angbandv4 on Debian), but I'm not sure about OSX.
                    "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎