X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zadhax
    Rookie
    • Mar 2024

compiling multi-user build from source with cmake requires an extra step

Hello, Angband community. I'd like to ask that we somehow edit the compiling instructions for Linux of Vannilla Angband.
    Firstly, I don't know if certian apps/packages turn the configure.ac file into an executable, but there is no executable configure file in the tarball, so, for me at least (using Lubuntu), entering "./Configure" doesn't work.
    It did, however, work with cmake, but only after I took a step that wasn't in the instructions: make install. If you don't run (sudo) make install, you won't be able to run (at least the multi-user build) of the Angband executable. You'll get an error along the lines of "cannont access lib/save. It may be broken"
    I thought I'd let the community know about this in case some poor soul who doesn't know anything about compiling software compiles the latest Angband on their Debian-based system (which only has a quite outdated angband package in it's stable repository), and can't get Angband to work.
    I must add, though, that this is just for the multi-user build of Angband, and I'm not sure if this same error happens for the default installation from the tarball, but nonetheless, it's something I'd thought I'd report.
    Best reguards, Zadhax.
  • Gwarl
    Administrator
    • Jan 2017

I'm not sure what you mean by 'multi-user build' but the instruction tell you to run './autogen.sh' first.

That lets you run './configure' which accepts various options that affect the installation.

Comment

• zadhax
      Rookie
      • Mar 2024

But it says you can skip that if you didn't git clone it. by multi-user build, I'm refering to this:

There are options to not build a self-contained installation and, instead,
      organize the files for a typical Linux or Unix layout. One such option
      installs the executable as setgid so the high score and save files can be
      stored in a centralized location for multiple users. To enable that option,
      pass -DSHARED_INSTALL=ON to cmake. To specify the group used for the setgid
      executable, pass -DINSTALL_GROUP_ID=xxx to cmake where you replace xxx with
      the name or number of the group to use. If you do not set the group, the games
      group will be used. Another option creates a read-only installation with any
      variable state, including the high score and save files, stored on a per-user
      basis in the user's own directories. To enable that option, pass
      -DREADONLY_INSTALL=ON to cmake.

Comment

• backwardsEric
        Knight
        • Aug 2019

With regards to the absent configure script, did you follow one of the "Source code" links on the GitHub release page? The archives downloaded from those links are automatically generated by GitHub. They do not include the configure script and do not play particularly well with how the build process gets a version string using script/version.sh. I'd recommend using the source archive we generate. On the releases page, that's the link immediately before the "Source code" links.

Comment

• zadhax
          Rookie
          • Mar 2024

I downloaded the tarball from here: https://rephial.org/release

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢