X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • malcontent
    Adept
    • Jul 2019

Real time competition?

I've wondered if might be fun some time to try something on Angband.live where everyone gets one or two hours to see who can amass the most XP with a single @. Birth options could be the normal comp settings but players could use any race/class of their choosing. It would be interesting compared to a normal comp in that resting wouldn't really count against you, in fact you would probably be foolish not to rest. Also, agreeing on the time window for this clearly international group would be interesting.
  • Voovus
    Adept
    • Feb 2018

Maybe Angband should have a "real world time" counter, as well as the usual number of moves?

Comment

• Nick
      Vanilla maintainer
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Voovus
      Maybe Angband should have a "real world time" counter, as well as the usual number of moves?
      The Poscheng-likes have this I believe.
      One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
      In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• tangar
        Veteran
        • Mar 2015

Best place for fair real-time experience - multiplayer *bands: mangband, tomenet, pwmangband... and tangaria
        https://tangaria.com - Angband multiplayer variant
        tangaria.com/variants - Angband variants table
        tangar.info - my website ⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽
        youtube.com/GameGlaz — streams in English ⍽ youtube.com/StreamGuild — streams in Russian

Comment

• DavidMedley
          Veteran
          • Oct 2019

Originally posted by malcontent
          Also, agreeing on the time window for this clearly international group would be interesting.
          I would suck at this competition but it would be fun. Players could sign up for time blocks on Angband Live. Lag would be a big concern, though. Or we could just play locally and leave it to the honor system, which is what we always do anyway.
          Please like my indie game company on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/RatherFunGames

Comment

• Estie
            Veteran
            • Apr 2008

I would want to play, preferably locally; while I have played on Angband.live, it is a pain.

Comment

• Sky
              Veteran
              • Oct 2016

if only Angband Live had a peasant option to play with tiles ..
              "i can take this dracolich"

Comment

• Estie
                Veteran
                • Apr 2008

I almost clicked that!

Comment

• PowerWyrm
                  Prophet
                  • Apr 2008

What about a "survivalist" co-op competition?

Player one starts the game and plays for 1000 turns. Player two takes the game and plays for 1000 turns. Whoever dies is eliminated and we restart from last savepoint. Winner is the last player "alive" (who manages to either win or being the last to complete the 1000 turns requirement).

Did a lot of these with ADOM, it was a lot of fun. Asks for strategies (you need to "hinder" your opponent in order to win, but not too much to avoid dying during your last run).
                  PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• MicroChasm
                    Apprentice
                    • Feb 2020

I know that the current competition is a Sil-q one, but I do think it is a good game for something like a realtime, low turncount, or low XP competition. It's a fairly short game and allows for a full pacifist win, which is much quicker than a fighter win. I've never timed it but I think the game could be beaten in under an hour. Using the 50,000 XP Challenge in Sil-q it could probably be beaten in something like 25 minutes.

This is a topic that I have a specific interest in; playing low turncount runs is my favorite way to play Sil-q at the moment. I do think it would work for other games as well, and might be fun.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎