X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • debo
    Veteran
    • Oct 2011

Comp 204

Competition 204 is up. It's a PosChengband 6.0.4 Leprechaun. This way, if you decide you don't like the how all the new shooting stuff works, you can just blast things with devices.

glhf
    Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'
  • Pete Mack
    Prophet
    • Apr 2007

Can't open the starting save file from the dev branch. Has there already been a savefile change since 6.0.4? What is the right git location to sync to get an actual 6.0.4 build?

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
      Veteran
      • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Pete Mack
      Can't open the starting save file from the dev branch. Has there already been a savefile change since 6.0.4? What is the right git location to sync to get an actual 6.0.4 build?
      What OS are you using to run PosChengband?

debo, is it okay for us all to use PosChengband 6.0.5 for Compo 204? Just asking for confirmation sakes, even though I'm assured this won't be an issue.
      My best try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

As of February 18th, 2022, my YouTube username is MidgardVirtuoso

Comment

• Pete Mack
        Prophet
        • Apr 2007

Windows. I even tried downloading it with different techniques, to make sure it was 8-bit clean. No dice.

Comment

• debo
          Veteran
          • Oct 2011

Windows. I even tried downloading it with different techniques, to make sure it was 8-bit clean. No dice.
          git checkout the 6.0.4 tag and compile that. Although, I'm pretty sure that at the time I made this savefile, head and 6.0.4 were the same.

Comment

• debo
            Veteran
            • Oct 2011

Originally posted by HugoTheGreat2011
            debo, is it okay for us all to use PosChengband 6.0.5 for Compo 204? Just asking for confirmation sakes, even though I'm assured this won't be an issue.
            Sure, if 6.0.5 works for you then go ahead.

Comment

• nikheizen
              Adept
              • Jul 2015

Built it from commit 6b61d8b and it works fine with the savefile.

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
                Veteran
                • Jan 2012

Windows 10? 64-bit? ?
                My best try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

As of February 18th, 2022, my YouTube username is MidgardVirtuoso

Comment

• Pete Mack
                  Prophet
                  • Apr 2007

I got it done. My initial problem was that I'd been using git fetch instead of git pull. Then I discovered that old .o files weren't get recompiled in my hacked together build environment, though I don't know why--it may be because there's no explicit %.o : %.c rule in Makefile.win from angband. (That's all done in Makefile.inc.)

Comment

• Pete Mack
                    Prophet
                    • Apr 2007

Man this is a drag. Had to bail on Old Man Willow quest for the first time ever--couldn't handle the sabretooth tigers and vorpal bunnies.
                    Main weapons are a rod of fire bolts and a wand of Acid Balls, both purchased from the black market. Other than that, it's a Sling +7. Without a real bow, this character is just helpless.
                    Not sure where to head next. Just finished the Death Swords quest, then closed the game in frustration.

Comment

• GenericPseudonym
                      Apprentice
                      • Jan 2016

Man this is a drag. Had to bail on Old Man Willow quest for the first time ever--couldn't handle the sabretooth tigers and vorpal bunnies.
                      Main weapons are a rod of fire bolts and a wand of Acid Balls, both purchased from the black market. Other than that, it's a Sling +7. Without a real bow, this character is just helpless.
                      Not sure where to head next. Just finished the Death Swords quest, then closed the game in frustration.
                      If you only want an enchanted bow you can just pay for it with your leprechaun pot of gold.
                      You can pay the archer's guild (in any town except Outpost) to enchant bows and arrows, with the max enchantment based on your level. You can get yourself a +7 bow, and you might as well enchant up any ego ammo you have as well.

Comment

• Pete Mack
                        Prophet
                        • Apr 2007

All I've found is a shortbow, so I might as well stick to the sling. The bow only would do about 13% more damage, since arrows have significantly fewer criticals than shot.

Comment

• debo
                          Veteran
                          • Oct 2011

All I've found is a shortbow, so I might as well stick to the sling. The bow only would do about 13% more damage, since arrows have significantly fewer criticals than shot.
                          This is the poschengband grind. Almost every character hits it at some point, most of the non-OP builds hit it around CL25-30. I think clouded said it best, poscheng is all about how quickly you can start killing wyrms.

Comment

• clouded
                            Swordsman
                            • Jun 2012

For a character like Leprechaun the quickest and least painful way to progress is to dive deep (DL60), scour the levels for devices and then start killing high level hounds (plasma, nether, time) with wands of dragon fire/frost, those give something like 7k xp each so it's really effective. If you don't want to try and get into the dragon cave then dive down in Angband and purposefully fail the guardian quests, tanking your fame doesn't matter if you don't want to spend any money on reforges, Leprechauns need that for greed power. Dungeons like the castle and graveyard have more of certain types of monsters in them so they really aren't preferable. Once you've gained a bunch of levels, then you can go down deeper and find staves of healing, then maybe you can actually kill some dangerous stuff!

Comment

• Pete Mack
                              Prophet
                              • Apr 2007

Yeah, after finishing Azog, I started diving in Angband. Quickly found a sling of accuracy(+23,+18), which helps.
                              How does the greed mechanic work, beyond granting essentially infinite mana (not that it helps much, with such limited spellcasting.)

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎