Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ingwe Ingweron
    Veteran
    • Jan 2009

Why was this ring marked as "perilous"? Upon identification, it was a Ring of Fickleness, supposedly leaving the wearer at "the mercy of the whims and chances of fate." But, it gives +2 Speed, +2 Wisdom, Shard resistance 35%, and Disenchantment resistance 55%. Not a single negative attribute is disclosed and it says "you know all the enchantments on this object." So, why is it marked "perilous" before identification?
    “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
    ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• Thraalbee
      Knight
      • Sep 2010

Expect a hidden curse too. There are ?Reveal curse scrolls or you will find out by yourself

Comment

• Nick
        Vanilla maintainer
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Ingwe Ingweron
        Why was this ring marked as "perilous"? Upon identification, it was a Ring of Fickleness, supposedly leaving the wearer at "the mercy of the whims and chances of fate." But, it gives +2 Speed, +2 Wisdom, Shard resistance 35%, and Disenchantment resistance 55%. Not a single negative attribute is disclosed and it says "you know all the enchantments on this object." So, why is it marked "perilous" before identification?
        Perilous basically means cursed ego, which counts all jewellery.
        One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
        In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
          Veteran
          • Jan 2009

I'm sure I knew at one time, but I can't remember and haven't found it in the command list, but how, exactly, does one set a recall point in FAangband? On reading a ?Word of Recall, I get the choices "Nowhere" and "Don't replace".
          “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”

Comment

• Nick
            Vanilla maintainer
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Ingwe Ingweron
            I'm sure I knew at one time, but I can't remember and haven't found it in the command list, but how, exactly, does one set a recall point in FAangband? On reading a ?Word of Recall, I get the choices "Nowhere" and "Don't replace".
            Choose Nowhere - that will replace Nowhere with where you are reading from.
            One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
            In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
              Veteran
              • Jan 2012

Does anyone still encounter the Nowhere town in FAAngband 1.4.4? heh heh...
              My best try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

As of February 18th, 2022, my YouTube username is MidgardVirtuoso

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
                Veteran
                • Jan 2009

Bug may derail my comp attempt!

Argh! Stuck on a spire in Nan Dungortheb!?

See the bug error report and savefile here: http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthr...382#post112382

I'm going to try a phase door off the spire and hope @ doesn't plummet to her death! Ent's don't have free fall, so this could be a really ugly prospect! Totally unfair, Nick!

Edit: Blinking off did the trick! Beechbonnet IV is back in business!

Comment

• debo
                  Veteran
                  • Oct 2011

Congrats to ranger jeff on 1st place despite being too lazy to win, and to clouded and Ingwe for placing 2nd and 3rd, respectively.
                  Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• the Invisible Stalker
                    Adept
                    • Jul 2009

Originally posted by HugoTheGreat2011
                    Does anyone still encounter the Nowhere town in FAAngband 1.4.4? heh heh...

I'm a fairly frequent visitor to nowhere town. Didn't happen with this comp character, but then again he did die before nightfall on the first day, so he didn't get much of a chance to find his way there.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎