X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • debo
    Veteran
    • Oct 2011

Comp 191

Competition 191 is up. It's an FAangband Ent Druid.

GLHF!
    Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'
  • Nick
    Vanilla maintainer
    • Apr 2007

Things to note:
    • Ents can hide in trees - if you're standing on a tree square, you will be hidden from monster tracking until you hit something
    • Druids get quite good bare-handed attacks, and taking the Power Strike specialty makes that even better
    • Use 'M' outside dungeons to get a map of nearby levels
    • Use 'o' in the Merchant (shop 0) to put in a standing order for stuff (books are recommended to start with)
    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
      Veteran
      • Jan 2009

Something seems off with {good} weapons, launchers, and ammunition. When wielded and used successfully, the to-hit and to-damage modifiers remain question marks. Is this a bug, or am I missing something?

I like playing FA again, but I've definitely become spoiled by the wonderful improvements made in Vanilla.
      “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
      ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• t4nk
        Swordsman
        • May 2016

Think I'll need to take a break from wrestling with bad code in textui! FAangband, hmmm... I tried to hack SDL2 into it, but it's kind of not trivial. So I'm back to square one - changing the colors of main-sdl.c to something less annoying

Comment

• Nick
          Vanilla maintainer
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Ingwe Ingweron
          Something seems off with {good} weapons, launchers, and ammunition. When wielded and used successfully, the to-hit and to-damage modifiers remain question marks. Is this a bug, or am I missing something?
          They work differently to V3.5 - you only learn them when you get a perfect dice roll (for to-dam) or a blow where you just barely hit (for to-skill). I'm finding it really annoying

Comment

• wobbly
            Prophet
            • May 2012

What no thrall mode? disappointing...

Anyway as it took me a bit to find, H to move house to a new town

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
              Veteran
              • Jan 2009

"When spring unfolds the beechen-leaf and sap is in the bough,
              When light is on the wild-wood stream, and wind is on the brow,
              When stride is long, and breath is deep, and keen the mountain air,
              Come back to me! Come back to me, and say my land is fair!"

From Treebeard's lament for the lost Ent-Wives. Wait a second! Beechbonnet is a female Ent. An Ent Wife has been found at last!
              “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”

Comment

• debo
                Veteran
                • Oct 2011

"When spring unfolds the beechen-leaf and sap is in the bough,
                When light is on the wild-wood stream, and wind is on the brow,
                When stride is long, and breath is deep, and keen the mountain air,
                Come back to me! Come back to me, and say my land is fair!"

From Treebeard's lament for the lost Ent-Wives. Wait a second! Beechbonnet is a female Ent. An Ent Wife has been found at last!
                It has already been pointed out to me that the entwives didn't disappear until the end of the second age

Comment

• debo
                  Veteran
                  • Oct 2011

Originally posted by wobbly
                  What no thrall mode? disappointing...

Anyway as it took me a bit to find, H to move house to a new town
                  We did thrallmode in the last FA comp. Not everyone finds it so... enthralling.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
                    Veteran
                    • Jan 2009

Originally posted by debo
                    It has already been pointed out to me that the entwives didn't disappear until the end of the second age
                    Ah, yes! Point taken. That is great!!!

Comment

• wobbly
                      Prophet
                      • May 2012

If you find a magestaff it will say the restore mana only works for mages & necromancers. Just found one & it also works for druids.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
                        Veteran
                        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Nick
                        ....I'm finding it really annoying
                        It's your own fault. You've done such an incredibly great job making Vanilla so enjoyable, coordinated, smooth, lucid, and intelligible to play, that switching back to FAangband is almost painful. Don't get me wrong, I am still in love with the full story immersion of FAangband and all the nuances of terrain, lands, magic realms, races, classes, and minor quests. But after three attempts in the competition, I've gotten so annoyed at the interface that I can't wait to switch back to playing Vanilla. In fact... why wait?

Comment

• Nick
                          Vanilla maintainer
                          • Apr 2007

It's your own fault. You've done such an incredibly great job making Vanilla so enjoyable, coordinated, smooth, lucid, and intelligible to play, that switching back to FAangband is almost painful.
                          I can't take much of the credit for that. I had little involvement in Vanilla up to 3.5 beyond standing on the sidelines and telling the devteam how much better FA was

Comment

• wobbly
                            Prophet
                            • May 2012

Not sure why my macros don't work properly. For example m3h is bringing me to the menu of the 3rd book but not casting spell h

Edit: Worked it out, it needs an [enter]. Too used to poscheng's interface.
                            Edit2: Nup that seems to spend the sp but not cast the heal
                            Last edited by wobbly; August 7, 2016, 09:16.

Comment

• clouded
                              Swordsman
                              • Jun 2012

Both O and FA have buggy macro/keymap systems, FA doesn't recognise the number inscriptions so you need to refer to inventory letter (better than O though which is a complete mess)

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎