• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick
    Vanilla maintainer
    • Apr 2007

Competition Rules

Basics
    Each competition is based on a starting savefile. Anyone wanting to play in the competition can download the savefile from the competition pages. There will also be a link to the competition variant on that page. Not all competitions will run for the same length of time; each competition will have it's start and end date on its main page.

Playing
    Simply download the savefile and (if you don't have it already) the variant, load the savefile and play. You can restart from the original savefile as many times as you like - so if you die, you need to copy the original savefile again and start from that, not go through the player birth process. Making a copy with your preferred option settings (except dungeon_stair and smart_cheat - see below) and starting from that is allowed (in fact, recommended); making a copy which has already done a shopping run is OK too, but no play beyond that.

Entering
    To enter the competition, upload your character dump to the ladder on the competition page. Anyone with practical or ideological objections to doing this can email me a dump or savefile at nckmccnnll@yahoo.com.au; I will then extract (if necessary) a dump and post it on the ladder.

Winning
    The winner of the competition is the highest ranked character on the ladder at the end date of the competition. The method for ranking any competition will be on the competition page.

Submitting a Starting Savefile
    Shortly before the start of a new competition I will put out a call for starting savefiles; anyone should feel free to send one in.
    Suggestions from the experienced on what form these should take include:
    • a savefile where the ancestors have developed decent monster memory;
    • disconnected stairs;
    • an advanced character.

If you have an idea for a starting character but are not sure how to set it up, let me know - lots of things are possible.

Honour System
    There are no prizes for the competition, and everyone is trusted to follow the rules - if you don't, it's really your problem. Savescumming (making a savefile more advanced than the starting one and reloading it when you die), wizard mode, debug mode and altering edit files and/or source code are not permitted (duh). The options of disconnected/connected stairs (dungeon_stair) and monsters knowing the players weakness in advance (smart_cheat) should not be changed to the easier setting if they were set on the harder setting in the starting savefile in variants where they can be changed. Other conditions imposed on any individual competition will be on the competition page.

To quote Tony Holmes, the originator of the competition, "Let's keep this competition clean and friendly and have fun."
    Last edited by Nick; December 11, 2008, 20:28.
    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
  • evariste
    Rookie
    • May 2008

Can we use disconnected stairs even if the initial savefile has connected stairs on? A few of the participants in the current competition who don't like connected stairs have been doing this (including myself)...

Of course, hopefully this won't be an issue in the future because savefiles will have disconnected stairs set at the beginning.

Comment

• Nick
      Vanilla maintainer
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by evariste
      Can we use disconnected stairs even if the initial savefile has connected stairs on? A few of the participants in the current competition who don't like connected stairs have been doing this (including myself)...
      I don't see how that could be a problem. I'll edit the rules - and I'll continue to modify them by editing that first post, unless anyone can think of a reason why not to.

Comment

• Jungle_Boy
        Swordsman
        • Nov 2008

I didn't see any mention of it but I would like to be sure. Is it ok to turn on auto-scum if the original file has it off?
        My first winner: http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=10138

Comment

• Donald Jonker
          Knight
          • Jun 2008

I don't think that's possible under Vanilla 3.0.9b.
          Bands, / Those funny little plans / That never work quite right.
          -Mercury Rev

Comment

• Nick
            Vanilla maintainer
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Donald Jonker
            I don't think that's possible under Vanilla 3.0.9b.
            Correct - autoscum is a birth option. Otherwise it would be fine, unless specifically stated otherwise in the competition rules, which it wasn't this time, but then it wouldn't be because autoscum is a birth option. Clear?

Comment

• will_asher
              DaJAngband Maintainer
              • Apr 2007

Just curious, is using spoilers allowed in a competition?
              Will_Asher
              aka LibraryAdventurer

My old variant DaJAngband:
              http://sites.google.com/site/dajangbandwebsite/home (defunct and so old it's forked from Angband 3.1.0 -I think- but it's probably playable...)

Comment

• PaulBlay
                Knight
                • Jan 2009

Originally posted by will_asher
                I'm not the one who decides, but lots of people will have already read spoilers prior to the competition starting so it would be unfair, IMO, not to allow them.
                Currently turning (Angband) Japanese.

Comment

• Nick
                  Vanilla maintainer
                  • Apr 2007

It is entirely up to your own conscience

Comment

• buzzkill
                    Prophet
                    • May 2008

Huh!!! What!!! Spoilers. No NO. NOOoooo.
                    But seriously, even I don't care. It's just that I haven't had a good rant in a while, and this was right up my alley.
                    www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.
                    My banding life on Buzzkill's ladder.

Comment

• dos350
                      Knight
                      • Sep 2010

hi please stairs should be up to the player, eee~! stairs are a major part of my playing of any char in vanilla~ anyway, please think about it~
                      ~eek

Reality hits you -more-

S+++++++++++++++++++

Comment

• Derakon
                        Prophet
                        • Dec 2009

The problem being that having connected stairs on makes the game a lot easier since it's far harder to get cut off from an escape point. If you play with connected stairs on, then your achievements can't be compared to those of someone who plays with them off. Which is fine normally, but the entire point of competitions is to compare our relative achievements, and for that you need a level playing field.

Comment

• dos350
                          Knight
                          • Sep 2010

edit: plz no rage~
                          Last edited by dos350; June 27, 2011, 03:10.
                          ~eek

Reality hits you -more-

S+++++++++++++++++++

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞