X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Remuz
    Apprentice
    • Apr 2007

[YAWP] Half-Troll warrior

In retrospect, this sounds like the cheesy choice. Indeed, it was.. well.. easy. Coming back to Angband after a long hiatus, playing tome2 and tome4 respectively, I had memories of something overly difficult where I constantly struggled to cover holes in my resistances, or even get past stat-gain. Hence this choice : the obvious one for someone considering himself as a newbie to the game, again.

I must admit, I was hooked with the first character I made. I love what you guys made with the game. The new interface is great, and id-by-use makes the beginning of the game more interesting. The removal of *Id* makes the end-game less tedious because you can simply id everything with a few rods, that are plentiful.

A few annoyances though:
    -just like before I had troubles choosing my kit amongst all the equipment at my disposal. So much that I am considering writing a tool that would suggest a kit based on what resistance holes you want to cover

- I just wish the enter key would not bring up a menu. I use this key to clear --more-- messages, and having this menu because I did not pay enough attention to the last message is rather annoying. I happen to have only one functional hand, and having to go all accross my keyboard to hit Escape is what motivated me to toggle the automatic clearing of --more-- prompts in the options menu. This sped up my gameplay by a lot.

- I am sure this has been debated before, but : If I set my auto-squelch setting to ignore all of X but artifacts, why force me to pick it up or id it first? This forces me to have one slot in my inventory at all times, which by late game was very dificult to achieve. Especially considering that (as far as I noticed) pick up does not cost energy now, this could be streamlined a bit more.

Anyway, back to my game:
    All of dlvl 70 to 98 was easy, save for the odd tough unique (Atlas).
    Having killed all uniques, I went to Sauron, who posed not much more threat than a regular unique. Had to quaff a couple potions, but otherwise he went down in no time.
    Morgoth, on the other hand, was no joke. The whole battle lasted almost 30 minutes of careful positionning, lots of teleOther, teleport, and quaffing. My whole stack of potions was used in the process, but I had no close call, and the news is that I did not have to farm at all before the big fight.
    Only 2/3 into the fight did I understand the usefulness of banishment and mass banishment, xwhich saved me a teleport.
    What definitely helped was my sh*tload of HP, which allowed me that one last hit before teleporting.
    When I did teleport, having no clue how much Morgoth would regenerate, I would drink as quickly as possible as many!CriticalW as necessary, to reduce my rest time to a bare minimum.

During this game, I was never bored in carelessness, which means that either I grew more patient over the years, or the game became more fun overall.
    (this used to be my number one killer.)

I believe this is my second win ever, the firt one with a dwarf priest several years ago.

Dump :
  • Remuz
    Apprentice
    • Apr 2007

I forgot : I was surprised at how worthless gold now is. If not for the lack of home, I would be tempted to try a no-recall variant. (Expensive) services in town would change that, though.

Comment

• MattB
      Veteran
      • Mar 2013

Well done!

Btw, you can keymap the <enter> key to ' ' (i.e. a single space), then the menu won't come up.

Comment

• PowerWyrm
        Prophet
        • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Remuz
        I forgot : I was surprised at how worthless gold now is. If not for the lack of home, I would be tempted to try a no-recall variant. (Expensive) services in town would change that, though.
        You don't need another variant. Just set the birth options to activate ironman...
        PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• Raajaton
          Swordsman
          • May 2012

If you play with a term window for messages, I'd recommend setting the option to automatically clear -more- prompts. I find it tedious to have to prompt through a slew of -more- messages when I can take a glance at the term window to see everything.

Comment

• AnonymousHero
            Veteran
            • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Raajaton
            If you play with a term window for messages, I'd recommend setting the option to automatically clear -more- prompts. I find it tedious to have to prompt through a slew of -more- messages when I can take a glance at the term window to see everything.
            ... though it would be nice if there were a separator in the message log such that you easily visually distinguish messages "by round". Or maybe just highlight messages from the current round with a particular color, or something.

Comment

• Remuz
              Apprentice
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by PowerWyrm
              You don't need another variant. Just set the birth options to activate ironman...
              That's what I meant, though I admit I lacked some clarity. I will keep that one for later. Now, after losing a few early rangers and mages while trying to play them like end-game warriors, I settled on a cheesy dwarf priest (yes, again).

Thanks for the other advices!

Comment

• Nick
                Vanilla maintainer
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by AnonymousHero
                ... though it would be nice if there were a separator in the message log such that you easily visually distinguish messages "by round". Or maybe just highlight messages from the current round with a particular color, or something.
                Those are nice ideas. I'm certainly looking at message reform (or will be).
                One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• MattB
                  Veteran
                  • Mar 2013

Originally posted by AnonymousHero
                  Or maybe just highlight messages from the current round with a particular color, or something.
                  plus one for me!

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍