Is there such a thing as too much speed?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fendell Orcbane
    Swordsman
    • Apr 2010

Is there such a thing as too much speed?

So I got my character up to +54 speed. Which was cool on paper but I still only got 2 free rounds from a Great Wyrm. I found a +12 ROS and had to use it with Feanor. Had to. While it did let me get past some hounds I don't know if I should use this combo since I have to give up almost 250 hps for it.

What do you think? Here is my character.
  • Pete Mack
    Prophet
    • Apr 2007

The usual rule of thumb is one Ring of Speed and one elven ring, unless you have some other big base speed item. With Feanor and Ringil, you are already past the diminishing returns.
    Definitely trade Narya (or Tulkas with Narya as swap) for RoSpeed +12, and consider trading Eonwe for Ringil.

Immunities are a huge bonus, and triple immunity can completely change your playing style.

In fact, that character is already strong enough to kill M.
    Just swap in Hammerhand, Umbar, and Narya for max damage and CON, and you will be a total killing machine.
    +1 blow and +1 shot is crazy strong. You can kill M with melee, a crossbow, or classic ranger damage with 5(!) shots/turn and belthronding. M won't know what hit him.

Comment

• Zikke
      Veteran
      • Jun 2008

After you get at least +30 speed naturally (no haste spell) then you should consider being done with speed.
      A(3.1.0b) CWS "Fyren_V" NEW L:50 DL:127 A++ R+++ Sp+ w:The Great Axe of Eonwe
      A/FA W H- D c-- !f PV+++ s? d P++ M+
      C- S+ I- !So B ac++ GHB? SQ? !RQ V F:

Comment

• Fendell Orcbane
        Swordsman
        • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Zikke
        After you get at least +30 speed naturally (no haste spell) then you should consider being done with speed.
        Okay this makes sense... My question is can Morgoth really slow a character? I fought him before with my last character and Morgoth never slowed him down. I'd always make the saving throw.

Comment

• Fendell Orcbane
          Swordsman
          • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Pete Mack
          The usual rule of thumb is one Ring of Speed and one elven ring, unless you have some other big base speed item. With Feanor and Ringil, you are already past the diminishing returns.
          Definitely trade Narya (or Tulkas with Narya as swap) for RoSpeed +12, and consider trading Eonwe for Ringil.

Immunities are a huge bonus, and triple immunity can completely change your playing style.

In fact, that character is already strong enough to kill M.
          Just swap in Hammerhand, Umbar, and Narya for max damage and CON, and you will be a total killing machine.
          +1 blow and +1 shot is crazy strong. You can kill M with melee, a crossbow, or classic ranger damage with 5(!) shots/turn and belthronding. M won't know what hit him.
          Yeah I feel like I should just get it over with...but I don't want to get killed by Morgoth like last time. I had him down to like 3 * and I got killed: ( So I want to get rid of Vecna, The Tarrasque and anyother dangerous uniques first...

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
            Prophet
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Fendell Orcbane
            Okay this makes sense... My question is can Morgoth really slow a character? I fought him before with my last character and Morgoth never slowed him down. I'd always make the saving throw.
            Yes he can unless you have 100% saving throw. Mind blast slows down if it gets thru saving throw. This is the reason why 30+ permanent speed is recommended.

Reality is that this is very rarely a deadly situation in very next move. It takes very rare circumstances that Morgoth gets a double move in just that turn and uses both of them to manastorm you. I'm not sure if it even can happen mathematically (someone with better skills at calculating energies can calculate that). If it continues longer however that double move will happen, so you need to phase door out of LoS immediately. Note that when you are moving at speed +20 and Morgoth is moving at speed +30 you two are in reality moving with energies +30 and +38. Speed difference isn't that much. Morgoth gets a double move in about every four of your moves and every now and then it takes five.

Comment

• Derakon
              Prophet
              • Dec 2009

If you have a perfect saving throw (check your character sheet), then I don't think Morgoth can slow you directly. He can of course summon monsters that can hit you with gravity or inertia attacks.

Fortunately there's no monster that hits to feed you.

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
                Prophet
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Derakon
                If you have a perfect saving throw (check your character sheet), then I don't think Morgoth can slow you directly. He can of course summon monsters that can hit you with gravity or inertia attacks.

Hmm... If you are gorged and get hit by inertia what happens? -20 speed? I need to test that

Comment

• ekolis
                  Knight
                  • Apr 2007

/me would make a joke about FAangband, but nobody outside a small group of people would get it...
                  You read the scroll labeled NOBIMUS UPSCOTI...
                  You are surrounded by a stasis field!
                  The tengu tries to teleport, but fails!

Comment

• Zikke
                    Veteran
                    • Jun 2008

Originally posted by ekolis
                    but nobody outside a small group of people would get it...
                    Same with any joke on these forums.
                    A(3.1.0b) CWS "Fyren_V" NEW L:50 DL:127 A++ R+++ Sp+ w:The Great Axe of Eonwe
                    A/FA W H- D c-- !f PV+++ s? d P++ M+
                    C- S+ I- !So B ac++ GHB? SQ? !RQ V F:

Comment

• bron
                      Knight
                      • May 2008

The number I like is +34 speed which makes you twice as fast as monsters that move "quickly" (because of diminishing returns on the speed table, it's 34, not 30). So going from 30 to 34 is not completely pointless. But the point is fairly small, and if you have a reason not to (e.g. you can wield better equipment at the lower speed), then do that. Going beyond 34 is close to useless (admittedly, not completely useless, but close to it).

Comment

• Fendell Orcbane
                        Swordsman
                        • Apr 2010

Yep I have 100% saving throw!

Comment

• Fendell Orcbane
                          Swordsman
                          • Apr 2010

So +54 is too much...but +34 is where its at, this is good to know.

Comment

• Pete Mack
                            Prophet
                            • Apr 2007

Base speed > ~24 doesn't help all that much, really. For walking around, it's more than enough, and hasted speed 34 corresponds to 2x "quick" monsters.
                            Normal speed 26 is the last point at which speed is linear (speed 27 = speed 26), but hasted speed 36 is the same as hasted speed 34.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            😂
                            🥰
                            😘
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😞
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎