Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zikke
    Veteran
    • Jun 2008

I don't think stairscumming is nearly as bad as save scumming.

Also, if somebody is trying for their first win, it's a useful technique to assist the diving process and gain knowledge of the deeper levels.
    A(3.1.0b) CWS "Fyren_V" NEW L:50 DL:127 A++ R+++ Sp+ w:The Great Axe of Eonwe
    A/FA W H- D c-- !f PV+++ s? d P++ M+
    C- S+ I- !So B ac++ GHB? SQ? !RQ V F:

Comment

• Fendell Orcbane
      Swordsman
      • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Zikke
      I don't think stairscumming is nearly as bad as save scumming.

Also, if somebody is trying for their first win, it's a useful technique to assist the diving process and gain knowledge of the deeper levels.
      Well I actually got all the way to Morgoth with my last character...but he killed me because I didn't know the symbol to banish the dragons that he summoned. However I *did* save scum and I took Morgoth out the second time: ) Right now I'm just going for that clean win so I can post it. Although I do wonder if some people aren't save scumming and posting "winners" since it seems that some people have been playing for years and have never won the game.

Having said that this forum has helped a lot, plus the spoilers help as well. Honestly I'd be S.O.L with out the spoilers. I wonder if spoiler books can be found in the dungeon so that people would have monster knowledge with out feeling like they are "cheating" in any way shape or form. I think that would be a bad ass thing to add to the game. IMO.

Comment

• ewert
        Knight
        • Jul 2009

Monster spoilers are called "probing" ...

Said on another thread already though, full monster knowledge in the cheat options is a more honest way of using the spoiler files TBH. Doubt anyone sensible thinks of it as cheating, it is just effective spoiler usage (and spoilers are either cheating or not, if they are ... then most people cheat? )

Though personally I haven't used the monster spoiler files or full monster knowledge in my winners so far. For now I'm using full monster knowledge... dunno why, just felt like it TBH.

Comment

• LostTemplar
          Knight
          • Aug 2009

Monster memory does not help, it gives no idea about how powerfull attack is, only types of attacks available.

Comment

• miyazaki
            Adept
            • Jan 2009

Originally posted by LostTemplar
            Monster memory does not help, it gives no idea about how powerfull attack is, only types of attacks available.
            New versions of the game do. There is now damage info in the monster memory for spells, attacks, boulders, arrows, etc. Breath attacks are the exceptions--sometimes they are included, sometimes not. Can't quite remember when it all came into effect. Just another reason to play the latest version!

Comment

• Zikke
              Veteran
              • Jun 2008

I don't consider using full monster memory from the Cheat menu to be a cheat. It's really just a time-saver to avoid opening a web browser and using the online spoilers. They shouldn't even be called "spoilers", but rather just Monster or Artifact info. In other RPG games (like WoW or others) everybody uses online references daily (a la WoWhead). And the Angband spoilers don't even include strategy, just stats.
              A(3.1.0b) CWS "Fyren_V" NEW L:50 DL:127 A++ R+++ Sp+ w:The Great Axe of Eonwe
              A/FA W H- D c-- !f PV+++ s? d P++ M+
              C- S+ I- !So B ac++ GHB? SQ? !RQ V F:

Comment

• Derakon
                Prophet
                • Dec 2009

Note that the damages displayed in monster memory for spells are averages. So you can take more damage than the monster memory says you can. This is usually only an issue for high-leveled monsters casting mana bolts, manastorms, or darkness storms. Breath weapon damage is not random, but the numbers displayed in the monster memory are for the monster's max HP, not their current HP -- a nearly-dead Great Hell Wyrm will do much less damage when it breathes than a healthy one will.

Comment

• Fendell Orcbane
                  Swordsman
                  • Apr 2010

I've been playing the older verfsion myself so I didn't know that mosnster memory has damage rating. But that is good to know. Thank you.

Comment

• fph
                    Veteran
                    • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Derakon
                    Note that the damages displayed in monster memory for spells are averages.
                    [...]
                    the numbers displayed in the monster memory are for the monster's max HP, not their current HP -- a nearly-dead Great Hell Wyrm will do much less damage when it breathes than a healthy one will.
                    Is there a reason for that? I would change both settings, it seems more useful.
                    --
                    Dive fast, die young, leave a high-CHA corpse.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎