X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fendell Orcbane
    Swordsman
    • Apr 2010

Setting...

Other than the hit point warning what other settings should I be changing?
  • Derakon
    Prophet
    • Dec 2009

Change the delay factor to 16ms or so, so you can see the spell animations. Everything else is largely a matter of taste, in my opinion. Check out the window settings; I like to have monster recall, inventory/equip, item list, and monster list as four extra windows, for example.

Comment

• miyazaki
      Adept
      • Jan 2009

I really like the HP warning that changes the colour of your @ as you lose HP. Can't imagine playing without it.

Comment

• Fendell Orcbane
        Swordsman
        • Apr 2010

Sadly I couldn't get used to playing in ASCII. Lame I know...

Comment

• Zikke
          Veteran
          • Jun 2008

For every game, I always set:

Change walls and perm walls to blocks instead of # (in knowledge menu)
          Change first listed Strange Rune trap to teal or light blue (in knowledge menu)
          Dump feature knowledge in '=' menu

Use old target by default: Y
          Squelch Worthless Item Kinds: Y
          Hide Items set as Squelchable: Y
          Open/Disarm on movement: Y
          Open/Disarm without direction: Y
          Player color indicates low hitpoints: Y
          Center map continuously: Y
          Map remembers all torch-lit grids: N
          Use special colors for [everything]: Y
          Disturb when player state changes: N
          Audible bell on errors: N

Set squelch by quality settings all to "Bad" (i.e. spamming enter, down, enter, down, etc.)
          A(3.1.0b) CWS "Fyren_V" NEW L:50 DL:127 A++ R+++ Sp+ w:The Great Axe of Eonwe
          A/FA W H- D c-- !f PV+++ s? d P++ M+
          C- S+ I- !So B ac++ GHB? SQ? !RQ V F:

Comment

• miyazaki
            Adept
            • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Zikke
            Open/Disarm on movement: Y
            Is there an easy way to override this during gameplay? Sometimes, you just gotta use a trapdoor!

Comment

• Zikke
              Veteran
              • Jun 2008

Originally posted by miyazaki
              Is there an easy way to override this during gameplay? Sometimes, you just gotta use a trapdoor!
              Hehe I have very rarely been in the situation to want to use and have at my disposal a trap door. I would think you could set up a quick macro to toggle it on or off if the macros truly simulate key strokes and would let you auto into the menu system. Never tried it though.

Or if there's a hotkey mapped to toggle this, somebody let us know.
              A(3.1.0b) CWS "Fyren_V" NEW L:50 DL:127 A++ R+++ Sp+ w:The Great Axe of Eonwe
              A/FA W H- D c-- !f PV+++ s? d P++ M+
              C- S+ I- !So B ac++ GHB? SQ? !RQ V F:

Comment

• PowerDiver
                Prophet
                • Mar 2008

Originally posted by miyazaki
                Use '-' before the direction key.

Comment

• fizzix
                  Prophet
                  • Aug 2009

Originally posted by PowerDiver
                  Use '-' before the direction key.
                  oooh, i didn't know that. That's going to save time from manually changing my settings when I want to jump down a trap door.

Comment

• Pete Mack
                    Prophet
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by fizzix
                    oooh, i didn't know that. That's going to save time from manually changing my settings when I want to jump down a trap door.
                    Yes, the 'jump' command is very useful. There are some traps (trap door, teleport trap) that you want to use, and others that you don't want to disarm (blindness, conf) when already affected by the trap, and others (everything except conf, summon, sleep, and slow) that you may not want to activate while running away.

And I second the notion that strange rune type 1 (summon) should be set to cyan. At one point, I also set traps I don't care about (poison, pit, acid/flames) to one value, and ones I usually care about (drain stat) to another, ones I sometimes care about (slow, blind, conf, sleep) to another, and ones I don't want to disarm (pit, teleport) to another.

But that's too just much effort. The only one that really matters is summoning vs teleport. In fact, I'd like to see summoning traps set to cyan as the default. It's silly to require disambiguation between the only genuinely dangerous trap from one of the two actively useful traps.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎