• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • buzzkill
    Prophet
    • May 2008

Anyone play Dwarf Fortress?

Anyone here really play Dwarf Fortress?

I think DF will be my next arguably-rogue-like great endeavor. I devoted a more than a few hours to learning the bare basics already. Just wanted someone local, without having to join another forum, to respond to my incessant stupid questions.

Should anyone reply, consider this my stupid question thread, and any respondents my DF Sherpas.
    www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.
    My banding life on Buzzkill's ladder.
  • fizzix
    Prophet
    • Aug 2009

I've played a little, but unfortunately my crappy laptop can't really run it in all its glory. I do know some of the basics though.

Comment

• taptap
      Knight
      • Jan 2013

In my experience anyone really playing Dwarf Fortress isn't available on (other) forums.

I played very intensively for a few months then increasingly frustrated by bugs and by continuous map cleaning after sieges and questioning my priorities in life stopped altogether apart from occasional attempts at building logical circuits with goblins or minecarts. Despite the hype Dwarf Fortress is fundamentally an easy game once you have learned the ropes and most of the difficulty results from player action as semi-voluntary challenge mode / role-playing or from ridiculously fast growth in the default setting before you are prepared to absorb the migrants. (Change those settings.) Fiddling around is still fun, but the "one day you will inevitably succumb to attack" with which people advertise for it is definitely not true.

This (http://afteractionreporter.com/2009/...ss-part-1-wtf/) is a pretty good tutorial.
      Last edited by taptap; November 30, 2013, 10:12.

Comment

• fph
        Veteran
        • Apr 2009

I've played it for some time, too. It's fun, although taptap's comments are correct and it might get boring after a while. It's like a crossover between Angband and The Sims for people with a degree in geology.

The most difficult part of the learning curve in the beginning comes from the fact that the interface is quite complex, but as an Angband player you should at least be prepared for this.

Grab one of these to get started: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=124613, keep a browser tab open on http://dwarffortresswiki.org/, and don't be afraid to abuse traps as a defensive strategy in the beginning -- unless it has changed in the last versions, army management is a pain. Good luck!
        --
        Dive fast, die young, leave a high-CHA corpse.

Comment

• Mondkalb
          Knight
          • Apr 2007

I am playing on and off in a kind of possession mode.

But I play fortress mode only. I'm assuming you want to play adventure mode because it's kinda rogue-ish?
          My Angband winners so far

My FAangband efforts so far

Comment

• buzzkill
            Prophet
            • May 2008

Originally posted by Mondkalb
            But I play fortress mode only. I'm assuming you want to play adventure mode because it's kinda rogue-ish?
            No, I'm playing fortress mode, but I'm an absolute newb. Still playing my very 1st game (with 16x16 tiles) thanks to much advice from the wiki and other sources. I'm sure my fortress will perish at the first sign of adversity. Doing the simplest things are still a chore. I did manage to put together a functional brewery. A major accomplishment in my limited estimation. Next on my list... furniture, which I should be able to manage on my own.

Also just started using Dwarf Therapist. It's a joy to use, really, even though I don't use any auto-optimization.
            www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.

Comment

• MattB
              Veteran
              • Mar 2013

Just spent an utterly mystifying afternoon giving it a go.
              An afternoon I'll never get back!

I can just about glimpse a future of total addiction, though.

Comment

• LostTemplar
                Knight
                • Aug 2009

I play fortress mode. Using mosly terrifying biomes with zombies and glacier for more fun. Also I play human style, so no dig above certain minimum, e.g. digging only to build a well and then cast out great ice fortress above ground. I also normally use 2x2 absolutely flat maps.

Comment

• taptap
                  Knight
                  • Jan 2013

Originally posted by LostTemplar
                  I play fortress mode. Using mosly terrifying biomes with zombies and glacier for more fun. Also I play human style, so no dig above certain minimum, e.g. digging only to build a well and then cast out great ice fortress above ground. I also normally use 2x2 absolutely flat maps.
                  I am with you with the 2x2 flat maps (desert with aquifer in my case). 16x16 would wreck my computer or at least lead to early fps death.

Comment

• bio_hazard
                    Knight
                    • Dec 2008

Good luck! If you haven't checked out the Capt'n Duck Youtube tutorials, they might be handy. I remember looking at some of those in the previous release.

Comment

• T-Mick
                      Adept
                      • Mar 2012

If you're only on your first game, remember that its not to late to quit and walk away.

Comment

• buzzkill
                        Prophet
                        • May 2008

Originally posted by T-Mick
                        If you're only on your first game, remember that its not to late to quit and walk away.
                        It may already be too late. The up side right now is that I can't play for too long of a stretch because I get frustrated from trying to learn how to accomplish some seemingly simple task.

It's kind of weird, but I think that what attracts me to DF is the historical/legacy aspect, the history and detail put into each and every dwarf as well as the world itself. All have names, family relationships, friends and enemies, likes and hates, differing abilities. I know that much of this of is vastly for simple flavor, with some minimal gameplay effect, but I find it intriguing none the less. If DF was played in a less detailed world with minimally detailed characters, I think it would play very much the same, but wouldn't be nearly as much fun.

Comment

• buzzkill
                          Prophet
                          • May 2008

OK, stupid question time. Finally got around to making some furniture and creating some living quarters. When I go about assigning a room (with a bed in it) as a bedroom, DF as far as I can tell insists that the room be centered on the placement of the bed. This poses a problem for me as my spacious 3x3 bedrooms are all similarly furnished with the bed against the far wall thus leaving a portion of the room excluded (red), and a portion of the eastern wall included (orange). Is this a real problem? Should I just reposition the bed in the center of the room and be done with it? What other furnishings should a bedroom have?

Code:
                          XXXXX
                          X[COLOR="Red"].[/COLOR][COLOR="DarkOrange"]..X[/COLOR]
                          D[COLOR="red"].[/COLOR][COLOR="darkorange"].BX[/COLOR]
                          X[COLOR="red"].[/COLOR][COLOR="darkorange"]..X[/COLOR]
                          XXXXX
                          Bedroom layout. D is door. B is bed. X is wall. Orange is current questionable bedroom designation.

Comment

• LostTemplar
                            Knight
                            • Aug 2009

Just allocate a larger room, so it includes all the walls (press '+' after 'r'), so wall value counts to the room value. Also keep in mind that ordianry dwarves (not nobles) are extremely happy with just a bed allocated as 1x1 size bedroom.

BTW DF tilesets are excellent, ulike Angband tiles really make things simpler in DF.

You probably should look here:
                            Last edited by LostTemplar; December 1, 2013, 09:10.

Comment

• fph
                              Veteran
                              • Apr 2009

Originally posted by buzzkill
                              What other furnishings should a bedroom have?
                              A chest and a cabinet are a good way to improve room quality (which may improve mood), and dwarves will use them to store their possessions, which reduces the clutter. They can be made out of rock so they are quite cheap in all maps. But they are by no means necessary.
                              Keep fancier stuff (statues, windows, chairs) for the nobles apartments. A 3x1 room is plenty for lowly plebs.

LostTemplar already answered to the rest and linked that mind-blowing wiki page...

Have fun!
                              Last edited by fph; December 1, 2013, 09:41.
                              --
                              Dive fast, die young, leave a high-CHA corpse.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎