Turning D&D 3.5 into a Multiplayer Roguelike.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Drevasa
    Rookie
    • Aug 2007

Turning D&D 3.5 into a Multiplayer Roguelike.

This is my first port of this idea.
    • I am going to through using computer random generators, for treasure and dungeon layout, run a d&d game like rouguelike. Every time they go up or down a stairs just us the computer to make a new dungeon. There will be 20 levels of dungeon going down.
    • I am going to make completely different price charts for scrolls and potions, add a number of new ones to d&d for each. I need to invent(or steal) a system for availability of items in the town.
    • I need to mess with spells a bit for each class, and does anyone know a good online list of angband spells?(thank you Faust)
    • Characters are going to be using point base(32pts) creation for the players can't brag/complain about you did better cause of good stats. I am also going to use first level gets full hp and double it, so wizard gets 8+con bonus and warrior gets 20+con bonus.
    • Forgot changing d&d rest system to from each day to each hour to make up for higher amount of high combat.
    • Work out a system for random encounters/spawning new monsters in areas already cleared.
    • dealing with movement relative to time. d&d 30ft(20ft for small characters) a turn which is like 3 squares a turn in angband.
    • I need to make a scoring system for when players die/win.
    • Need to find a good way to turn d&d's spell slot system into a spell point system.
    • I think this is the end of the first post, but any suggestions or comments are welcome and encouraged.
    • More will come as I test this all out.

first test will be sometime between now and 5/8/07. Will post how it goes.
    Last edited by Drevasa; August 1, 2007, 18:29.
    Yes, I am really that geeky.
  • Faust
    Adept
    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Drevasa
    I need to mess with spells a bit for each class, and does anyone know a good online list of angband spells?
    Try the spoiler files. http://www.juti.nl/hugo/Angband/Spoiler/

Comment

• AR_chie
      Apprentice
      • May 2007

This is my first port of this idea. [LIST][*]I am going to through using computer random generators, for treasure and dungeon layout, run a d&d game like rouguelike. Every time they go up or down a stairs just us the computer to make a new dungeon. There will be 20 levels of dungeon going down.
      it will be interesting and I hope that U will release playable version in next few months. I didn't play D&D but in roguelike if he will exist I'll try

Comment

• Fuma
        Adept
        • May 2007

Ummm playable version?
        I got the impression he was talking about modifying a tabletop RPG so that it feels like playing a roguelike.
        www.snowleopard.org - International Snow Leopard Trust

Comment

• Drevasa
          Rookie
          • Aug 2007

Fuma is correct. Sorry early morning posting = typos and strange phrasing.
          "This is my first port of this idea." should be "This is my first part of this idea."
          So sorry about the confusion.
          Also I am going to be testing it Friday or Saturday.

Comment

• SocietalEclipse
            Rookie
            • Jul 2007

How direct/faithful of a conversion is this intended to be?

Comment

• Daven_26d1
              Adept
              • Jun 2007

Need to find a good way to turn d&d's spell slot system into a spell point system.
              A good way I've seen this approached in tabletop is give each level of spells a fixed mana cost, eg ascending 1, 3, 5, 10 etc and calculate the total mana cost a pc can cast by adding up all the values.

Next you simply allow the caster to spend those mana points on any spells he can cast. Note that this should not mean any spells he *knows*; the mage should still have to choose from his reportoire by memorizing castings in the usual slot allowance, elsewise mages will become broken.

Being able to choose as many different spells as you have slots and still allow for multiple castings is slightly offset by the fact that spare slots (due to insufficient reportoire) are essentially useless, except for the purpose of generating mana.

The tricky part is balancing the value of each level and, of course, rebalancing the powers of the spells to take account of the new environment: more copies of big spells are possible in chain castings, as well as mid+ level mages being able to spit magic missiles like, well, spit.

The added flexiblity can bring imbalance, so maybe a reduction in the number of available slots is a good idea, so essentially a deficit will actually be introduced unless mana is managed well by the player.

EDIT- actually, is this solo play? I'm confused about what kind of multiplayer game you intend.

If so, mages may well need some powering up without fighters to keep the orcs at bay, especially in this kind of hack & slash arena, so maybe yoiu won't need to reduce casting amounts.
              Last edited by Daven_26d1; August 8, 2007, 15:56.
              You sold a Broken Sword (1d2) (-2,-4) {average} (j) for 1 gold.
              The shopkeeper howls in agony!
              You say "Dude, the clue is in the name...".

Comment

• Drevasa
                Rookie
                • Aug 2007

well by multiplayer I mean 4 players making characters to form a party to challenge the dungeon.

the point buy system is working well for stats with my first test. I give them 32 pts. I am naming to remove randomness from character generation to aim to having a scoring system laters so 2 groups can try to beeat each other's score or even best their own.

I still working on how faithful this is going to be to angband depending how how my first test runs go. It is a alot of work to go throu and remake all the monsters out of angband for DnD. I am siding with a DnD with Angband Theme.

I need to reset up how potions and scrolls are more common in Angband.

I really need to get another test run in on this before I can really say.

Comment

• Daven_26d1
                  Adept
                  • Jun 2007

well by multiplayer I mean 4 players making characters to form a party to challenge the dungeon.
                  Turn-based? Remote play?

"You hit the orc. The orc gets mad!"
                  "The orc beats the wizard good-style."
                  "You chat 'heal the wizard'"
                  "The priest has gone for a wee."

or alternatively:

"You chat 'signing off now guys, getting late'"
                  "The rogue chats 'just another hour'"
                  "You chat 'no way, I have work tommorrow'"
                  "The rogue chats 'please, dude - the party needs you!'"
                  "You chat 'okay, 20 mins'"
                  "The hours pass... you have slain the Dragon and liberated his hoard!"
                  "You have lost your job."

or most likely:

"Welcome back to DandDangband!"
                  "You see the rogue. You see the barbarian."
                  "The dwarf has not signed on yet (x23465)"

EDIT - my turn to be tired. Bloody Sangband! I missed fuma's post etc above. Let this just be a warning to you in case you ever think your idea would make a good computer game!
                  Last edited by Daven_26d1; August 13, 2007, 01:01.
                  You sold a Broken Sword (1d2) (-2,-4) {average} (j) for 1 gold.
                  The shopkeeper howls in agony!
                  You say "Dude, the clue is in the name...".

Comment

• Drevasa
                    Rookie
                    • Aug 2007

I will have ppl around the dinner table. It is tabletop. This is why I put it int he Idle Chatter area. ^^

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡
                    👍