• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • debo
    Veteran
    • Oct 2011

Moonring -- Ultima 4-inspired game with "roguelike dungeons"

Moonring

I'm guessing some folks would have stumbled across this already, as it's showing up in different roguelike forums etc.

TL;DR
    - Free game (it's wild that something this good is free)
    - Story-driven Ultima-4 like game, but dungeons are randomly generated and you must start the dungeon over if you die
    - It's remarkably polished!

Steam, Windows-only, but works great on Linux via Proton. Steam Deck works too but I wouldn't want to play this without a keyboard.

I've put a couple hours into it and had to forcibly put it away because I could feel myself getting sucked in, and I have things to do! The atmosphere is terrific.
    Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'
  • smbhax
    Swordsman
    • Oct 2021

Definitely nice atmosphere. Could use a little less screen shake and flashing/animating FX but a lot of games do worse these days I suppose.
    My Angband videos

Comment

• Magnate
      Angband Devteam member
      • May 2007

Last time I installed a game someone recommended on these forums, it was Path of Exile and I played nothing else for about six years. Looking forward to checking it out!
      "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• smbhax
        Swordsman
        • Oct 2021

Jeez I didn't know about Path of Exile--obviously a Diablo clone but the aesthetic looks nicer to me than the last couple Diablos.

Moonring's designer, Dene Carter, was also a designer for Fable and Dungeon Keeper.
        My Angband videos

Comment

• Magnate
          Angband Devteam member
          • May 2007

PoE is a wonderful game, everything the Diablos should have been. But it's a victim of capitalism - they constantly churn out new stuff to keep the money coming in, and IMO it's not fun trying to keep up. This post sums it up:

"Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• HallucinationMushroom
            Knight
            • Apr 2007

Wonders who could have possibly gotten Magnate hooked on Path of Exile. Also, I'm not sure whether I should thank you Debo, or curse you -- I just played this and I lost myself in it for three straight hours without realizing it. This game is very, very good.
            You are on something strange

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍