X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DREW
    Rookie
    • Nov 2013

No Autosave?! Mouseclick "Drop All" Arrows = Crash

http://rephial.org/ (first site google lists and shows as the official site)
    Nothing there said 3.41 is the experimental version so I thought I was downloading the latest stable version.

I haven't played a roguelike in a long time, but after 6hours and several new items soon to be identified I try to "drop all" 9 arrows in my quiver to make more room to pick up 1 last item and my game crashes. =/

So 3.41 is unstable with no autosave as a safety net or even a "save frequently" warning anywhere for new players?

Also is there a mod or variation that makes it possible to get/buy/earn magic bags of holding later or perhaps that item is already there & I just haven't earned or found it yet?

I trust 3.3 on this site is the latest stable version or does that crash too?
  • MattB
    Veteran
    • Mar 2013

Originally posted by DREW
    Nothing there said 3.41 is the experimental version so I thought I was downloading the latest stable version.

I haven't played a roguelike in a long time, but after 6hours and several new items soon to be identified I try to "drop all" 9 arrows in my quiver to make more room to pick up 1 last item and my game crashes. =/

So 3.41 is unstable with no autosave as a safety net or even a "save frequently" warning anywhere for new players?

Also is there a mod or variation that makes it possible to get/buy/earn magic bags of holding later or perhaps that item is already there & I just haven't earned or found it yet?

3.4.1 should be stable, it's crashed for me maybe once or twice in literally hundreds of hours of playing (and could well have been caused by other things running in the background).

3.5 is the current development version and does indeed crash frequently, as is expected. Confusingly, v4 is also a development version where various ideas have been tried out by the devteam, although that looks to have petered out due to the development of a new angband idea called Pyrel. Hope that clarifies things!!

As for bags of holding, they don't exist, I'm afraid, as inventory management is so key to the whole game. Although someone may have written a patch for it(?), and there's probably some *band variant out there that includes them.

Commiserations on the loss of your save, though.

Comment

• takkaria
      Veteran
      • Apr 2007

The game should save on level change, but I have a feeling I found it disabled recently and turned it back on again. 3.4.1 is definitely a stable release - 3.3 is less stable if anything. Stable releases can still crash, though I'm sorry you lost your progress and I hope it doesn't put you off too much. 3.5 will be out soon and that should be more stable still.
      takkaria whispers something about options. -more-

Comment

• DREW
        Rookie
        • Nov 2013

More Mouse-click crashes on 3.41

I'm not discouraged, but I am very cautious before I try to do anything new now.

Inventory management is key, but so are rewards like stronger light sources, stat potions, etc. Being able to carry more items from a bag of holding (or level advancement or whatever) isn't much different than being able to carry more weight from strength potions. It's a "hey you got this far, you earned it!" Since they don't exist I'll manage fine without just as if there weren't speed potions or etc.

Besides mouse-clicking on DropAll I just found these problems too...

Right-mouse click on character
        mouse-click on other
        mouse-click on commands
        mouse-click on any option = crash (well the last 3 options consistently causes a crash & I didn't bother testing the rest)

I know using the keyboard to play is usually more efficient, but the times I play in lazy mode I try to only use 1 hand (on the mouse).

Comment

• takkaria
          Veteran
          • Apr 2007

l I just found these problems too...

Right-mouse click on character
          mouse-click on other
          mouse-click on commands
          mouse-click on any option = crash (well the last 3 options consistently causes a crash & I didn't bother testing the rest)

I know using the keyboard to play is usually more efficient, but the times I play in lazy mode I try to only use 1 hand (on the mouse).
          Thanks for this bug report, I'll fix it for 3.5.
          takkaria whispers something about options. -more-

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍