X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pete Mack
    Prophet
    • Apr 2007

New stat drain model rocks

To recover from Time Hounds, I had to fight Uvatha in melee until I went down a level, then use !Restore Life. This is way better than repeatedly buying out the Alchemist shop!
  • Estie
    Veteran
    • Apr 2008

Very true, but I still like to store the 1-2 mushrooms of vigor I usually find early in my home for time hound recovery.

Comment

• Pete Mack
      Prophet
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Estie
      Very true, but I still like to store the 1-2 mushrooms of vigor I usually find early in my home for time hound recovery.
      But I am still buying out the Temple to get !CCW, especially since I can't seem to find any source of Teleport Other.

Comment

• Mondkalb
        Knight
        • Apr 2007

Teleport other wands are remarkable rare in the newer versions.
        They show up late in the dungeon and also very plus expensive and seldom in the bm.
        My Angband winners so far

My FAangband efforts so far

Comment

• Pete Mack
          Prophet
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Mondkalb
          Teleport other wands are remarkable rare in the newer versions.
          They show up late in the dungeon and also very plus expensive and seldom in the bm.
          I haven't found a single one. I did fortunately find a Rod of TO instead! I was really suffering at dl 56 before that. I've been trying to buy out the Black Market, but it's selling insanely expensive junk. Earlier it carried good stuff like !CCW and the various Teleport scrolls. Now it's got ego wands: Drain Life, Acid Balls and Dragon's Frost
          Last edited by Pete Mack; April 15, 2013, 07:56.

Comment

• takkaria
            Veteran
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Pete Mack
            To recover from Time Hounds, I had to fight Uvatha in melee until I went down a level, then use !Restore Life. This is way better than repeatedly buying out the Alchemist shop!
            This hole is totally getting closed.
            takkaria whispers something about options. -more-

Comment

• Pete Mack
              Prophet
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by takkaria
              This hole is totally getting closed.
              Uh oh. I assumed this is by design!

Comment

• Raajaton
                Swordsman
                • May 2012

I thought so too. I certainly have taken plenty advantage of it. It does make stat drains pretty trivial though.

Maybe it would make more sense to only recover drained stats the first time you reach a new level.

Comment

• Derakon
                  Prophet
                  • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Raajaton
                  Maybe it would make more sense to only recover drained stats the first time you reach a new level.
                  That's what Takkaria meant. The intent is that early stat drain is comparatively non-dangerous (when restoration is not too far away), but late stat drain is something to be avoided. That way the early game is forgiving to newcomers and the late game is comparatively more dangerous. And sustains are more valuable.

Comment

• Bodhi
                    Rookie
                    • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Derakon
                    That's what Takkaria meant. The intent is that early stat drain is comparatively non-dangerous (when restoration is not too far away), but late stat drain is something to be avoided. That way the early game is forgiving to newcomers and the late game is comparatively more dangerous. And sustains are more valuable.
                    Is it having that effect though? Because in the other topic on this, Saarn's response to a late game stat drain was to go to dlvl 3 and scum for a mushroom of vigor. That's not exactly dangerous

Comment

• Derakon
                      Prophet
                      • Dec 2009

Well, it has that effect for me! Certainly I think that stat-draining monsters are perceived as more dangerous by most players now that restoration is not so readily-available. How you respond to having been drained is going to vary by person, of course. Ideally players wouldn't want to scum dlvl 3. In my experience, hoarding mushrooms of Vigor throughout the game gives me enough to deal with occasional "serious" stat drains. I just can't afford to play recklessly when drainers are around, since my stock of restoration items is limited.

Comment

• jrodman
                        Apprentice
                        • Feb 2009

I think it's not really complete right now, *because* of the aftermath.

If I get drained a bit and become less powerful, that makes me afraid of stat draining and take such encounters more seriously.

If I get drained a LOT and can't continue to play at current depth, that's boring. I just have to regress my gameplay until it's safe enough, and wait for it to go away.

Consider that strength can be reduced to the point where you can't even use your current gear anymore. This happened to my priest.

Buying a crappy weapon out of the store? Interesting enough, I guess.
                        Being unable to continue at anywhere near half the depth level his level would suggest? Dull.

The aggregate result is to make the overall game experience worse, IMO.

In a game like Crawl or Nethack you don't have the option to regress (usually, anyway), so having stats reduced would make the game unavoidably more dangerous. So there it feels more meaningful. However they won't take away 75% of your health from a single round with timehounds because that would feel ridiculous in that context. Also in those games if something so catastrophic happens I can just suicide and lose 5 hours, wheras in Angband your level 30+ character doesn't seem acceptable to suicide.

I think when my current games end I'll just play an older version of Angband where this mechanic is absent. But for now I just edited mushrooms of vigor to be 3x as common to reduce the tedium.

Comment

• Derakon
                          Prophet
                          • Dec 2009

How often do you find yourself so badly drained that you're unable to be remotely effective with your normal gear? I think the goal is that this should happen less often than the rate at which you find mushrooms of Vigor, so that if you keep them around for such "emergencies", you won't be forced to regress, as you put it. In other words, Vigor is available if you need it, so long as you don't need it too often -- and careful play ought to ensure that it isn't needed too often.

Unfortunately that sounds like I'm saying "you're playing it wrong", which isn't my intent. Rather, I'm trying to figure out how well the spawn rate matches your needs.

Comment

• Bodhi
                            Rookie
                            • Jul 2009

Well, it has that effect for me! Certainly I think that stat-draining monsters are perceived as more dangerous by most players now that restoration is not so readily-available. How you respond to having been drained is going to vary by person, of course. Ideally players wouldn't want to scum dlvl 3. In my experience, hoarding mushrooms of Vigor throughout the game gives me enough to deal with occasional "serious" stat drains. I just can't afford to play recklessly when drainers are around, since my stock of restoration items is limited.
                            I've played around with it a bit more and I think I like the change. It's just another threat that you need to be aware of.

To avoid the incentive to scum, couldn't you change the drop rates on Vigor in the same way that the drop rates on stat gain potions were changed? People used to hang out on D30 forever to max out their stats, but now that stat potions drop more evenly, it's pretty pointless

Comment

• jrodman
                              Apprentice
                              • Feb 2009

How often do you find yourself so badly drained that you're unable to be remotely effective with your normal gear? I think the goal is that this should happen less often than the rate at which you find mushrooms of Vigor, so that if you keep them around for such "emergencies", you won't be forced to regress, as you put it. In other words, Vigor is available if you need it, so long as you don't need it too often -- and careful play ought to ensure that it isn't needed too often.

Unfortunately that sounds like I'm saying "you're playing it wrong", which isn't my intent. Rather, I'm trying to figure out how well the spawn rate matches your needs.
                              My sample size is fairly small at the moment. Out of 5 characters with the new drain, it's happened 3 times, twice to one. 3 of those characters are still alive, only in the clevel 30s and dlevel 40s/50s or so. If home space wasn't so restricted, I *might* have had one left for one of these characters, but I typically used them when significantly drained at lower level. It's boring then too.

Basically the rate at which you acquire them is about right at lower levels. Once you're in significant drain territory and they no longer can be found the rate is not right.

This could be partially solved by making the home larger, which is probably the game modification I'll end up playing with in the end. Coming back to Angband after 5 years or so, juggling in the home is something I still do not enjoy.

If I was to continue to play with the game as-is, I would probably just memorize the time hound levels and skip them, as they're the major source of this. For example, I went down stairs and found a pack of them in the room. the round of detection gave them the turn to drain me silly. This is when I gave up on the game as provided and changed it.

Of course, my concerns were overblown as it turned out, because they had drained me enough to make me lose a level. Restore xp fixed that, but it's considered a bug.

The real problem is that the malus isn't any fun. Crawl style maluses can give new and interesting challenges. Stat drain just regresses the character a bunch and you get to wait for it it go away. Allowing players to punish themselves with boredom is a longstanding Angband trait (one I used to agree with but no longer do.. but that's personal), but inflicting it on them seems a really bad idea.
                              Last edited by jrodman; August 12, 2013, 19:10.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎