X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • saarn
    Adept
    • Apr 2009

deep descent from town is weird

I vaguely recall when deep descent was first introduced, if you used it from town you'd go some number of levels deeper than your previous depth. Now it just takes you to DLVL 5 all the time. This is kind of annoying when you identify by use in town.
  • fizzix
    Prophet
    • Aug 2009

Thanks for pointing this out. This is indeed bad, and should probably be changed. However, I'm not sure what the best behavior is.

Should it bring you to maxdepth+5 regardless of where you read it? Should it drop you by 5 levels, except in town where it'll act as a word of recall? Should act like a word of recall + 5 in town? Should it not work at all in town?

Edit: I have a branch which goes like max_depth + 5 regardless of where it's read. I'll push to master and v4-master tomorrow unless there's good reason not to.
    Last edited by fizzix; April 29, 2012, 21:14.

Comment

• saarn
      Adept
      • Apr 2009

I don't have a strong opinion on the right behavior in the dungeon, though I think your proposed interpretation is probably better.

Comment

• d_m
        Angband Devteam member
        • Aug 2008

I've always felt that it should take you to MAX + 5 no matter where you read it.
        linux->xterm->screen->pmacs

Comment

• DaviddesJ
          Swordsman
          • Mar 2008

OK, I just discovered this behavior. The description still says, "When read, it teleports you two levels down," which is very misleading. It would be nice to keep the description in sync with the effects.
          Last edited by DaviddesJ; June 5, 2013, 02:08.

Comment

• OOD Town drunk
            Adept
            • Feb 2013

I vote => "MAX+5 from anywhere"

Comment

• strato
              Rookie
              • Apr 2015

How about if there is a game option to choose from max_depth + 5 or the way they work in 3.5?

Comment

• Bill Peterson
                Adept
                • Jul 2007

How about making it a little more exciting - max_depth + rand(10)

Comment

• MattB
                  Veteran
                  • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Bill Peterson
                  How about making it a little more exciting - max_depth + rand(10)
                  I agree with this idea (for vanilla).

Out of interest, are you playing the experimental variant called 'v4', or the current release of Vanilla Angband 'v4.0'?

Comment

• Bill Peterson
                    Adept
                    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by MattB
                    I agree with this idea (for vanilla).

Out of interest, are you playing the experimental variant called 'v4', or the current release of Vanilla Angband 'v4.0'?
                    I'm mostly inactive at the moment but will play the latest V4 release when I resume. I was just responding here based on philosophy rather than any recent gameplay.

Comment

• AnonymousHero
                      Veteran
                      • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Bill Peterson
                      I'm mostly inactive at the moment but will play the latest V4 release when I resume. I was just responding here based on philosophy rather than any recent gameplay.
                      I think what MattB was hinting at is that this isn't (surprisingly) the forum for Angband v4.0.

Comment

• MattB
                        Veteran
                        • Mar 2013

Originally posted by AnonymousHero
                        I think what MattB was hinting at is that this isn't (surprisingly) the forum for Angband v4.0.
                        Indeed! I think the plan was to retire this forum upon the official release of v4.0?

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎