frogcomposband: Strange wording of Hex magic?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Speusippus
    Rookie
    • Feb 2010

frogcomposband: Strange wording of Hex magic?

I just checked out hex magic for the first time as a high mage and I can barely understand the wording of some of the spells. They look like they've been run through google translate or something. (See esp. the "Patience" spell.) Is this by design? I thought maybe the person who wrote them was not a native English speaker but I see the post above which announces the release of the game seems to be written in absolutely perfect English.

So I'm just curious if there's an in-game reason for the strange wording, or whether its explanation lies outside the game.

Also: is there a way for me to just go ahead and print out all the spell book contents and other such spoilers, like I used to do as a kid playing CPCMoria or whatever it was?
  • Sideways
    Knight
    • Nov 2008

The Hex realm predates FrogComposband; it was originally added in Hengband by Japanese developers, who maintained that game in both English and Japanese. While much of Hengband's English was less than perfect, the Hex spell descriptions stood out even then as particularly bad; as such, they have been purposely retained as part of the game's legacy while minor typos and grammar errors elsewhere have been edited out. (To be clear, the Hengband dev team is by no means to blame for all of the game's bad English; far too much of it has been contributed by supposedly native English speakers.)

You can access many spoiler files in-game by turning on the allow_spoilers option at birth and then pressing ^Z. Although a couple of these spoilers files don't actually work, and others are intended for developers only and contain no material relevant to normal players, there's also some useful stuff like artifact, monster and spell spoilers.
    The Complainer worries about the lack of activity here these days.

Comment

Working...
    😀
    😂
    🥰
    😘
    🤢
    😎
    😞
    😡
    👍
    👎