X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GrimaTheBold
    Apprentice
    • Jan 2020

Frog - Wands versus Rods

Is there some advantage to rods that I'm not seeing over wands? Whenever I look at the damage of a rod vs. a wand, the wand seems to come out similar, with the advantage of many more charges. And yet the price/score of rods seems much higher than similar wands. Is it just the fact that rods are electricity proof?

For example, my current Mage has:

Wand of Nexus Ball - 5/5 - damage 107 - score 5.88.

Rod of Sound Ball - 2/2 - damage 120 - score 10.2

The wand can put out a lot more damage in 5 turns than the rod, yet is score is half as much. Maybe not the best example because I assume Sound Ball stuns. So here's a more apples to apples example:

Rod of frost ball - 2/2 - damage 78 - score 4.46

Wand of frost ball - 9/9 - damage 82 - score 5.82.

Shouldn't that wand be a lot more desirable than the rod, not just a little?

I feel like there's an advantage to rods that I'm missing.
  • Thraalbee
    Knight
    • Sep 2010

Not sure, but I believe rods recharge faster. For instance, I clearly prefer a -heroic speed with 2 charges compared to a _speed with 10 charges.

Comment

• ThatFishNemo
      Rookie
      • Apr 2020

Rods recharge faster, and from my experiences, are immune to damage when in your inventory. So if you have the fail rate for a rod low enough, you can use it rather consistently without having to have a form of recharging. But wands are goo if you want to dump out all of its uses in a short period of time. generally though I'd put rods as more valuable if I'm ever exploring, the only wands I really bother with are rocket, tsunami and wall building

Comment

• Thraalbee
        Knight
        • Sep 2010

I also carry a high power wand of annihilation and a teleother. annihilation works on teleresist monsters (not unique) although low powered annihilation wands are pretty useless

Comment

• Bostock
          Swordsman
          • Aug 2007

I wouldn't say damage wands are bad, and in fact I use them all the time, but yeah unless you're resting a lot, a lot-lot (in which case you're either sitting around causing monster spawns in the dungeon, or running up a big game-day count in town), the bigger charge capacity doesn't mean that much in practice. I just shrug and judge by score, all things being equal; it's a flawed system but it frees up my mind for other more important things.
          So you ride yourselves over the fields and you make all your animal deals and your wise men don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎