Is there anything in Variant programs that keep it from launching in Windows 10?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rashern
    Rookie
    • Jul 2020

Is there anything in Variant programs that keep it from launching in Windows 10?

Hello all,

Just had a question for you. I seem to have an issue with multiple variants of Angband. I can download and launch vanilla angband on Windows 10 fine but any time I try to run a variant it will bring up a single window with the title, hang there for about 5 seconds, and just close. (This is after trying everything I can think of. Admin mode, compatability, etc). I can take that exact file on a thumbdrive, put it on a little windows 8 laptop, and it runs like a charm.

I've suddenly realized the commonality is the multi-window setup of the game, even when they are all in one window they are still generally the same sectioned setup as if they were multiple little moveable windows like Angband. I realized this because I have a problem with The Ground Gives Way (Not a band game, but it has the same multi-window in single window setup).

Does anyone possibly have any insight? Do the programs not run on Windows 10 and I just haven't realized that?

Sorry if the above sounds angry or anything. It's not meant to be. I am just perplexed and actually don't know if I'm doing something wrong.

Thank you so much,
    Rashern.

Oh! Games I've tried this on.
    FAangband
    Sil
    Frogcomposband
    The Ground Gives Way (Not a band, but same window setup).

Funny enough, I got TOME working but it's the graphical version. Don't know if that changes anything.
    I'll try a few more variants later today.
  • EpicMan
    Swordsman
    • Dec 2009

FAangband and Frogcomposband does run on Windows 10. I think Sil does, too but I haven't played that one in a while and can't remember if I have played it on 10 or not. I have had some problems running some really ancient variants (Kamband, Portralis) in Windows 10.

I have played the Windows port with 3 subwindows open (so 4 total) and that hasn't seemed to be an issue. On older variants sometimes a font file can get locked and not be playable in different variants unless you restart.

Probably not very helpful beyond saying it can run in Windows.

Have you tried playing on Angband.live? It works pretty well and has a ton of variants and versions, all the ones you mentioned.

Comment

• CyclopsSlayer
      Swordsman
      • Feb 2009

Frogcomposband works fine on Win10, I've spent many many hours there
      Things compiled prior to 2005 or so seem to be a mixed bag. Some work, some don't, some play on a postage stamp-sized window you can't resize.

Comment

• Gwarl
        Administrator
        • Jan 2017

Originally posted by CyclopsSlayer
        Some work, some don't, some play on a postage stamp-sized window you can't resize.
        Some were renovated by Gwarl to be able to run on 64 bit machines with windows larger than a postage stamp! Such as Kangband https://github.com/OwenGHB/Kangband-293L

Comment

• CyclopsSlayer
          Swordsman
          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Gwarl
          Some were renovated by Gwarl to be able to run on 64 bit machines with windows larger than a postage stamp! Such as Kangband https://github.com/OwenGHB/Kangband-293L
          Thanks! On Win10 I can get many of the older ones to run if I use 'compatibility mode.' Some needed more, lol

My first win, a million years ago, was under Zangband and I got nostalgic one day. Tried to load Zang 1.0 in the early 2010s and a window would open and close instantly, lol (Under Win7)

Comment

• Rashern
            Rookie
            • Jul 2020

They do work!? Fascinating. That means there is something on my system is not letting the programs open. I'l try what you posted that was updated to 64 bit as well in the morning when I am back at my desktop computer. I wonder what it is that just refuses to let these in particular run.

First hypothesis was AVG shutting it down and giving no record or warning that it did it but that doesn't make sense, also I "Disabled" it (as far as one can with the damn thing. It's taking over my computer slowly but that has nothing to do with this) . Then I realized the window thing.. Experiment time. I guess?

I now have a mission to find out what it is. Thank you guys!

Comment

• budswell
              Adept
              • Jun 2008

I have played Pos/Comp/Frog all on win10.
              Another suggestion:
              Are you putting the game in C:\Program Files ?
              That folder is protected (although from mempory some variants work around this).
              I create a C:\games folder which I install all my games in, that way no drama if they need to write to the working dir
              http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-browse.php?e=budswell
              http://te4.org/user/1471/characters

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡