Frogcomposband mechanics questions

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Sideways
    replied
    Gravity has the same saving throw as regular slow, and is a binary -10 slow. (Gravity stun also has the same save as slow, and even allows uniques to be immune like with slowness. This is a bit odd, since stunning normally has a different saving throw and no immunity for uniques.)

    Inertia likewise has the same saving throw as regular slow. It's a -5 incremental slow, which means it can stack with other slows.

    Leave a comment:


  • Saru
    replied
    That makes sense @Wobbly. I guess what I really would like to know is what kind of saving throw a monster gets against it, if any, since it is an elemental attack. I assume it doesn't stack with slow monster as well.

    Is 'inertia breath' the same then?

    Leave a comment:


  • wobbly
    replied
    It's always worked like this & the effect is the same as when you get hit by gravity hounds, though Sideways can fill in any specifics better then I can.

    Leave a comment:


  • Saru
    replied
    Just upgraded to the latest version of frog, messing around with gravity bolt in the armageddon realm. I noticed that in addition to blinking the target, their health bar went grey. Another time it also stunned. Has gravity bolt always been able to slow and / or stun like this? And is it the binary -10 slow, or an incremental one?

    Similarly, what about breathe inertia in book 4? And do monsters get a saving throw based on some sort of 'power' of these spells, or are they just inherently slowed because of the gravity / inertia element?

    Getting to see when a monster is temporarily slowed is already a huge quality of life improvement. Thanks for the release @Sideways!

    Leave a comment:


  • CyclopsSlayer
    replied
    Ah! so the 'penalty' was just bonus removal. Thanks, lol

    It does explain why I couldn't the math to work, I was using it on the wrong end of the equation... doh!

    Leave a comment:


  • Sideways
    replied
    There is no penalty! You get bonuses for empty slots, not penalties for filled slots.

    The size of the bonus is different for each slot and also depends on your "monk level", which for monks and mystics is simply your CL. (It's slightly lower than your CL for Force-Trainers, and depends on your martial arts investment on Skillmasters.)

    Bonus calculations for empty slots:
    - body armour: [monk level]*3/2
    - cloak: [monk level - 13]/3, or 0 at low levels
    - shield: [monk level - 8]/6, or 0 at low levels
    - helmet: [monk level - 2]/3, or 0 at low levels
    - gloves: [monk level]/2
    - boots: [monk level]/3

    Leave a comment:


  • CyclopsSlayer
    replied
    Martial Arts - Slot Armor penalty

    I'm not talking the total weight limit, although I would love if there could be an indicator somewhere of Max Weight limit.

    But what I've not seen documented is the per slot penalty.
    For example. At CL 2, I got a set of padded armor {5, +2}
    Naked I had AC 3, with the armor on my armor went to AC 6. A -4 AC penalty
    When I reached Clvl 6, my naked armor was AC 17, wielding the same padded armor and my rating went to AC 15. A -9 AC penalty.

    Hands @ CL6 is -3 AC
    Feet @ CL6 is -2 AC
    Head @ CL6 is -1 AC

    The only slot that seems to be free of any overt penalty is the Cloak

    edit: I seem to vaguely recall the Slot penalty from way back in Zangband??

    Leave a comment:


  • CyclopsSlayer
    replied
    Originally posted by GrimaTheBold
    I'm going to add my question onto this thread.

    I'm playing a Death/Sorcery mage. Am I missing some obvious answer on how kill unliving monsters that resist Nether? Am I supposed to Malediction them to death? Or with this class do you just have to avoid a lot of fights (which is not my strong suit)?

    I know in the 3rd Spellbooks they get Darkness attacks - hopefully the monsters that resist Nether don't also resist Dark, but I haven't looked into that yet. But that's no help for now since I only have the town books.

    Maybe Armageddon is more my speed than Death...
    I am addicted to ranged weaponry. A sling or bow on every character. A good missile weapon can make many fights easier and won't kill your mana.

    Leave a comment:


  • Sideways
    replied
    Originally posted by GrimaTheBold
    I'm going to add my question onto this thread.

    I'm playing a Death/Sorcery mage. Am I missing some obvious answer on how kill unliving monsters that resist Nether? Am I supposed to Malediction them to death? Or with this class do you just have to avoid a lot of fights (which is not my strong suit)?
    The likely answer is "offensive devices", especially since you have Recharging from Sorcery; but depending on your build and equipment, melee and/or archery might also be viable options. Genocide and Annihilation work on the unliving, so if you do wish to avoid fights, a Death caster is ideal for that.

    Leave a comment:


  • GrimaTheBold
    replied
    I'm going to add my question onto this thread.

    I'm playing a Death/Sorcery mage. Am I missing some obvious answer on how kill unliving monsters that resist Nether? Am I supposed to Malediction them to death? Or with this class do you just have to avoid a lot of fights (which is not my strong suit)?

    I know in the 3rd Spellbooks they get Darkness attacks - hopefully the monsters that resist Nether don't also resist Dark, but I haven't looked into that yet. But that's no help for now since I only have the town books.

    Maybe Armageddon is more my speed than Death...

    Leave a comment:


  • CyclopsSlayer
    replied
    Originally posted by Sideways
    400% regeneration is exactly what it says on the tin, you regenerate 4 times as fast as you normally would.
    Of course, you'll eat a lot more food with that kind of regen. Which is really only an issue early game or with exotic food requirements.
    The only time I starved recently was trying a Vampire char.

    Leave a comment:


  • Sideways
    replied
    Originally posted by chem
    is my chardump, there are multipliers listed for certain stats:

    FA 5x,
    SI 4x,
    Rg 400%
    Hl 3x

    Does stacking those actually matter? Like, do I need to stack FA or SI for some reason? Multiple hold life sources stacks for greater drain resist?

    How about antimagic? No multiplier there in chardump.
    FA, SI and Hold Life all stack, although 3 sources of FA is enough for full protection so there's nothing to gain from having even more. You can check the help at ?lg for the details on all three.

    400% regeneration is exactly what it says on the tin, you regenerate 4 times as fast as you normally would.

    Anti-magic is simply on/off, there is no advantage to having multiple sources of anti-magic.

    Leave a comment:


  • chem
    replied
    is my chardump, there are multipliers listed for certain stats:

    FA 5x,
    SI 4x,
    Rg 400%
    Hl 3x

    Does stacking those actually matter? Like, do I need to stack FA or SI for some reason? Multiple hold life sources stacks for greater drain resist?

    How about antimagic? No multiplier there in chardump.

    Leave a comment:


  • Sideways
    replied
    Originally posted by Saru
    Edit: I've meant to ask, what do rune swords do? 0d0 (-10, -10) and unenchantable seems like the most worthless item of all time. There must be something to them, maybe only for certain classes like rune knight?
    Rune swords gain strength from killing monsters (especially uniques), and can become quite deadly over time. They also pick up some fairly serious downsides, though; because of that and how slowly they develop, many players do consider them useless, but there have been a few rune sword wins.

    Leave a comment:


  • Saru
    replied
    Finally!



    Just thought I'd post my first win! @Sideways thanks for the advice for skipping Nodens through Morivant. I definitely would have died to him because of my stubborn refusal to fail any quests. If anyone has any race / realm combos for a spellcasting class, I'd appreciate some inspiration! Leaning toward grey mage, but we'll see.

    Edit: I've meant to ask, what do rune swords do? 0d0 (-10, -10) and unenchantable seems like the most worthless item of all time. There must be something to them, maybe only for certain classes like rune knight?
    Last edited by Saru; July 2, 2020, 06:17.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
😀
😂
🥰
😘
🤢
😎
😞
😡
👍
👎
☕