X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bpleshek
    Apprentice
    • Sep 2008

New Variant Help

I would like to modify vanilla to my own specifications. Is there a guide out there someone can point me to? Short of that, a few questions:

I notice that something as "simple" as the .txt files in the edit directory has a message stating to beware or you can screw things up. Can simply adding another creature to the bottom of the list screw anything up? I am using the monster creator found here: http://www.thangorodrim.net/tools/monster_creator.html so as to not screw up the values.

Do I need to use the next sequential number for my new creatures or can I start my creatures at 900?

Do I need to raise a constant somewhere that tells the max number of creatures?

Do the effects take place immediately if i delete the raw files or do i have to wait for the creation of a new character?

The same questions would apply to the item and artifact .txt files as well.

Brian
  • Pete Mack
    Prophet
    • Apr 2007

the warning is a little strong, IMO. Just make sure to update the limits.txt file if you intend to add new monsters.
    Last edited by Pete Mack; September 8, 2008, 22:02.

Comment

• bpleshek
      Apprentice
      • Sep 2008

lies? You mean limits.txt?

Brian

Comment

• Mangojuice
        Z+Angband Maintainer
        • Jun 2008

Originally posted by bpleshek
        I would like to modify vanilla to my own specifications. Is there a guide out there someone can point me to? Short of that, a few questions:

I notice that something as "simple" as the .txt files in the edit directory has a message stating to beware or you can screw things up. Can simply adding another creature to the bottom of the list screw anything up? I am using the monster creator found here: http://www.thangorodrim.net/tools/monster_creator.html so as to not screw up the values.

Do I need to use the next sequential number for my new creatures or can I start my creatures at 900?

Do I need to raise a constant somewhere that tells the max number of creatures?

Do the effects take place immediately if i delete the raw files or do i have to wait for the creation of a new character?

The same questions would apply to the item and artifact .txt files as well.

Brian
        You should be fine if you stick to the following.

1. Adjust the max number of monster races (resp, artifacts) in limits.txt.
        2. You can skip numbers, but each monster race needs its own number, and they have to be in numerical order.

Changes will take place immediately, but mucking around with the templates can have some weird consequences. If you add monster races, you should be able to encounter them right away; if you add artifacts, they should be findable right away. To minimize any unintended consequences, don't completely delete any entry that might be actively involved in a game (e.g. a monster present in your saved dungeon); instead change its rarity to 0. Similarly, don't replace one entry with a new one.
        -----------------------------------------
        Z+Angband: A Zangband evolution
        http://tinyurl.com/5pq2bd

Comment

• Pete Mack
          Prophet
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by bpleshek
          lies? You mean limits.txt?

Brian
          whoops, fixed, thanks. Damn handheld predictive typing...

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎