X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sky
    Veteran
    • Oct 2016

FCB artifact names are bad and you should feel bad

FCB claws the English language <hit>. FCB mauls the English language <hit>.
    It was a terrifying hit!
    The English language is butchered.

I noticed that player made artifacts have a hard time constructing titles properly. In English, an attribute of typology comes *before* an attribute of ownership; so, for example if Gwarl the Smith makes a leather shield of Elvenkind, that would be the Leather Shield of Elvenkind of Gwarl the Smith, instead it currently is the Leather Shield of Gwarl the Smith ... of Elvenkind.

It gets even more complicated with further attributes, such as the Fancy Teardrop-shaped Red Steel shield of Elvenkind of Gwarl the Smith.

You go. Fix nau.

Least i should unleash The Hounds Of Oxford on you.
    "i can take this dracolich"
  • Gwarl
    Administrator
    • Jan 2017

Those aren't artifacts, they're smithed ego weapons.

Gwarl doesn't play FrogComposband.

Poschengband and it's forks do have a lot of legacy Engrish from Hengband and I think that's wonderful and have no intentions of changing it.

And while you didn't touch on this in your post, despite my and rodent's efforts to expand the lists of possible randart names, really we need a generator to go with them.

Comment

• Sky
      Veteran
      • Oct 2016

So Gwarl the Balrog Weaponsmith isn't yours??

Comment

• Gwarl
        Administrator
        • Jan 2017

Composband.

You know how Zangband isn't angband?

Same deal.

Comment

• Sky
          Veteran
          • Oct 2016

I'll tell you what; i'll edit my post from frogcomposband to composband, and you can edit yours from it's forks to its forks, so we can focus on the issue.
          English good. Engrish bad.

Comment

• Pete Mack
            Prophet
            • Apr 2007

I really don't see.why you care so much, one way or the other. A rose by any other name..

Comment

• wobbly
              Prophet
              • May 2012

Hengband is grammar of perfection

Comment

• EpicMan
                Swordsman
                • Dec 2009

The English language (white 'h'):
                This Chaotic Hybrid is found on most dungeon levels and moves quickly, but does not deign to chase intruders.
                It can spell to confuse and break its own rules.
                It cannot spell 'phonics' phonetically.
                It uses Greek & Roman spellings when it feels like it
                It can make capital I look like lower-case L to confuse you

English is like 'C' code: It's not always pretty, but it gets the job done.

Comment

• Derakon
                  Prophet
                  • Dec 2009

English is a thuggish kleptomaniac agglomeration of whatever bits of other languages someone thought might be useful. There are rules, but they're frequently contradictory. So rather than say "you're doing it wrong", I'd say "how does the way you are communicating gel with the communication you want to do?" For example, saying "lol" is a valid form of communication, but it carries different connotations from saying "I like that" or "hahaha" or "rolflolmao". Choose the type of communication that carries the connotations you want; make it an intentional choice rather than something that happens by default because you don't know any better.

Comment

• Philip
                    Knight
                    • Jul 2009

Hey Sky maybe stop being a dick to someone over a trivial grammar issue in a variant? The initial post was already unnecessarily mean and imperious, and it's kind of gotten worse. The game is being maintained and released for free, which means you're not really entitled to a fix. Also if it's a trivial fix you could, just, fix it, maybe even give the fix to the maintainer. And if it's not trivial, well, then the question of why it hasn't been fixed yet becomes clearer.

This seems like a rather counterproductive way to go about getting an issue fixed tbh.

Comment

• Sideways
                      Knight
                      • Nov 2008

I have inherited a lot of interesting English from previous maintainers; and while I have fixed quite a few routine typos and grammar errors, I know there are plenty left, and of course the Hex realm is full of Engrish and people wouldn't want it any other way. FrogComposband is not a variant that takes itself particularly seriously, so instead of attempting to be perfectly perfect, it acknowledges that it's not and pokes fun at its own shortcomings. It's intended to be a roguelike, not a grammar guide.

That said, while I appreciate all the supporting voices here, all criticism and bug and problem reports (including grammar ones) are highly welcome; and variant maintaining is, unfortunately perhaps, a pretty good way to develop a thick skin for attitudes.
                      The Complainer worries about the lack of activity here these days.

Comment

• Carnivean
                        Knight
                        • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Derakon
                        There are rules, but they're frequently contradictory.
                        Or wrong. My favourite "rule" of English is the best known:

I before E except before C.

This perfectly encapsulates the problem because it is wrong in more cases than it is correct.

Comment

• CyclopsSlayer
                          Swordsman
                          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Carnivean
                          Or wrong. My favourite "rule" of English is the best known:

I before E except before C.

This perfectly encapsulates the problem because it is wrong in more cases than it is correct.
                          This a fun Reader's Digest article ripping apart that fallacy.

As I describe it

"I before 'e', except after 'c',
                          or when sounded as 'a'
                          as in neighbor and weigh."

Then followed by twenty pages of exceptions...

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎