X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bandobras
    Knight
    • Apr 2007

Help needed for the damage value of the wand of Spark

I'd like to ask for help estimating how big the wand of Spark damage should be. How big is it in S? How does it compare to to the wand of Magic Missile and to the standard mid-game arrows (+0, +0) show with a (+0, +0) short bow? How do the latter two compare to each other in V, NPP and O? Is there a wand of Spark in any other variant?

Thanks.

Comment

• Satyr
      Scout
      • Apr 2007

Wand of spark damage in S is skill dependent and ranges from 1d6 to 1d24, MM is fixed at 2d6, standard arrow + long bow is 3x 2d2 = 6d2 (boni to deadliness propably cancel out with the lousy accuracy early on) BUT the weak point of wands of spark is their limited range, they just hit the next three squares (though all of them). Don't know if that arc-type damage is implemented in Un at all.

Comment

• andrewdoull
        Unangband maintainer
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Satyr
        BUT the weak point of wands of spark is their limited range, they just hit the next three squares (though all of them). Don't know if that arc-type damage is implemented in Un at all.
        I've adopted the same code as Sangband for projections and do this.

Wands of spark 50% of the time in Un will beam for 112 gravity damage. This is a bug
        The Roflwtfzomgbbq Quylthulg summons L33t Paladins -more-
        In UnAngband, the level dives you.
        ASCII Dreams: http://roguelikedeveloper.blogspot.com
        Unangband: http://unangband.blogspot.com

Comment

• Bandobras
          Knight
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Satyr
          Don't know if that arc-type damage is implemented in Un at all.
          Oh, thanks a lot. Yes, the wands work exactly the same in Un, only the damage is different.

Let me see, I'd try some guesswork. For a CL3 S character if he puts points in devices, he gets Spark for 2d11 = 6 on average, if he puts points in bows, he gets 4d2 + (criticals - misses) from a short bow, let's say it evens out to = 6, and mm is 2d6 = 7.

Currently in Un short bow is 2d6 + 2 from oil coating + 1 from criticals - 2 from misses = 9, spark is 3d5 = 9, mm is 3d4 = 7.5. So it seems mm is somewhat overpowered in S, because it does not increase in power. In Un only bows increase in power and they enable useful coatings, so perhaps the wands are too weak until Un gets critical activations. But at the start it seems OK, so I'd propose no changes for wip6a.

Comment

• Fuma
            Adept
            • May 2007

They do have a "critical activation". 50% chance of a gravity beam
            www.snowleopard.org - International Snow Leopard Trust

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘